(No Reference Position Found) on DVD+R DL x8 Verbatim

gumbyscout

Today I got in some x8 dual layer dvds today that I ordered. When I put the discs in the drive, they'd spin for a while and then imgburn would just give me "Device Not Ready (No Reference Position Found)". Of course, the first thing I thought was "my drive must not support x8 dvd's", but when I looked online it said my drive does support x8 dual layer DVD's. This is the first time I've had problems burning anything, regardless of the media type, but then again this is the first time that I've used x8 dual layers (I've used x2.4 previously). After surfing some forums I came to the conclusion that maybe it had to do with my firmware not being able to recognize the discs. So I crossflashed my HP 1040d to the lite-on LH-201H LL0D. Even after flashing my drive, it still gives me errors. While surfing the forums, I noticed that some were complaining about bad batches of Verbatim dual layer DVD's, could this be the case, and where can I find where they are made on the packaging?

Here's my useless log:

I 21:36:06 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 21:36:06 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 21:36:06 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,304 KB - Available: 1,708,472 KB

I 21:36:06 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:36:06 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:36:55 Found 1 DVD

Edited by gumbyscout

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not quite sure if bumping/double posting is okay to do here, but I couldn't find the rules...

Anyways I'm slightly disheartened that after a little more than two weeks that no one has responded to my request for help, even with a semi-useless post of "I have no idea of what to tell you". I thought since, due to that fact, that I might pose more tangible questions:

Will sooner or later my drive will be able to read this media with a new firmware update, even though it's kinda supposed to read this type of media anyways?

Are there any firmware hacks for my drive that may allow my disc drive to read some slightly off media (such as the ones I'm trying to use)?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.