Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
weisborg

Found an issue with Optimise Files again...

Recommended Posts

It has been forever since I posted, mostly because ImgBurn has worked flawlessly for me since. But yesterday I made 5 coasters before figuring out an issue. I'm still making my Windows install disks up to date and with all SP slipstreamed and patches integrated. M$ had a couple of waves of updates lately and the first disc burned fine, then they released like 4-5 more, so I added them to my disc(Folder on my HDD) and reburned (With new empty disc)...failed. Really, I can't even say failed because it just sits there at 99% still saying "Writing Sectors" but everything else isn't saying anything...no speed, no buffer left, nothing. It just sits there like it is still burning the disc, but nothing is going on.

 

After about 2-3 minutes the disc suddenly speeds up like it is writing at max speed, or going to take off. ImbBurn responds to the Close and Abort, but does neither and remains open. I can End Task it, but the process is still hung, so I have to hit the Reset button since Windows won't shut down either. I tried all kinds of stuff, different speeds, different media, changing to Patin Couffin, watched it with SysInternals Filemon to see if it was hung on a file...everything. It wasn't hung on any file, it was just like ImgBurn was expecting more data to send to write. At the very end, the Information section shows all files and then "Finished!", but "Finished!" is shown before the Buffer is even dropped past 90%. I didn't think much of it though because I've seen it a couple times when there were lots of small files at the end all are cached in the buffer. I have 4 different Windows builds that I write and each got the same updates and 3 of the 4 worked fine. I then tried turning off the option to Optimise since really the files are ok to fit on the disc...it saves 200-300MB with the option on, but they fit with it off too. At the end it flowed the same way, so I was ticked and thinking I wasted yet another disc, but once the Buffer went to 0% it went to Synchronizing like it should and finalized the disc. Then cycled the tray and did a perfect verify.

 

No clue what is happening behind the scenes, but something isn't calculating a size right with the combination of files or sizes or something.

Edited by weisborg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are there easy steps for me to reproduce this? - or does it just never work?

 

Not sure. It seems to be related to the content being copied since the other folders work, but it did fail every time until I turned off the Optimise Files option. What it is that it doesn't like I don't know though. I can keep the folder untouched for a couple months if needed. That way we can test things against it. Perhaps if you can make a test app that does the parsing ImgBurn does without the rest and just returns the file list, sector/disc size, Duplicate files found, etc. I can make a list of the files and compare to see what file is missing from the stream or being added. I'll do some more work here too and see what files it has that the others don't. It should just be a couple files and the srvpack folder that the integrated updates go to that was different from when it worked to when it didn't. May even be one of the updates since I applied them to the OS's as I went. Most of the updates only had to do With Windows Media, IE, DNS, and GDI though the last round...and the other 3 folders wrote fine, so it is a mystery at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell it to make an ISO of the files and terminate the process if/when it gets stuck. Then you could just mount the ISO and use something like Beyond compare to see which files match up and which don't.

 

Feel free to PM me a debug enabled log or perhaps it's best we go the email route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had another look at this today with a disc I have that goes from 14GB down to 4.37GB.

 

It worked just fine on that and it's got almost 200,000 files!

 

So basically, it's now down to you because I'm happy it's working as it should do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.