Problem with "Session Fixation Error - Incomplete Track in Session"

justmen

Hi Guys,

I've burnt hundreds of MCC-004-00 media with Imgburn Ver. 2.4.2.0 AND NOT A SINGLE COASTER was ever made. Today I had 4 Coasters with this message "Session Fixation Error - Incomplete Track in Session". I've never changed any setting on the Imgburn and the media is still the same MCC-004-00.

Here is a LOG of one of the COASTER ;

I 03:38:11 Operation Started!

I 03:38:11 Source File: D:\Em_7.iso

I 03:38:11 Source File Sectors: 2.132.768 (MODE1/2048)

I 03:38:11 Source File Size: 4.367.908.864 bytes

I 03:38:11 Source File Volume Identifier: EMMANUELLE2

I 03:38:11 Source File Volume Set Identifier: 24cd0289

I 03:38:11 Source File Implementation Identifier: Daikin U.S. Comtec Lab

I 03:38:11 Source File File System(s): ISO9660; UDF (1.02)

I 03:38:11 Destination Device: [2:2:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216 1.09 (G:) (ATAPI)

I 03:38:11 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: MCC-004-00) (Speeds: 4x; 6x; 8x; 12x; 16x; 20x)

I 03:38:11 Destination Media Sectors: 2.295.104

I 03:38:11 Write Mode: DVD

I 03:38:11 Write Type: DAO

I 03:38:11 Write Speed: 8x

I 03:38:11 DVD+R Reserve Track: No

I 03:38:11 Link Size: Auto

I 03:38:11 Test Mode: No

I 03:38:11 OPC: Yes

I 03:38:11 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 03:38:36 Filling Buffer... (40 MB)

I 03:38:37 Writing LeadIn...

I 03:38:38 Writing Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 2132767)

I 03:38:38 Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 2132767)

W 03:40:41 Waiting for buffers to recover... (LBA: 608160)

W 03:40:54 Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level...

I 03:40:55 Writing Sectors...

I 03:45:47 Synchronising Cache...

I 03:45:48 Closing Track...

I 03:45:51 Finalising Disc...

W 03:45:52 Finalise Disc Failed! - Reason: Session Fixation Error - Incomplete Track in Session

W 03:45:52 Retrying (1 of 3)...

W 03:45:53 Retry Failed - Reason: Session Fixation Error - Incomplete Track in Session

W 03:45:53 Retrying (2 of 3)...

W 03:45:53 Retry Failed - Reason: Session Fixation Error - Incomplete Track in Session

W 03:45:53 Retrying (3 of 3)...

W 03:46:36 Retrying (4)...

W 03:46:37 Retry Failed - Reason: Session Fixation Error - Incomplete Track in Session

E 03:46:39 Finalise Disc Failed! - Reason: Session Fixation Error - Incomplete Track in Session

E 03:46:39 Failed to Write Image!

I 03:46:40 Exporting Graph Data...

I 03:46:40 Graph Data File: D:\Application Data\ImgBurn\IBG Files\PIONEER_DVD-RW_DVR-216_1.09_06-JANUARI-2009_3-38_MCC-004-00_8x.ibg

I 03:46:40 Export Successfully Completed!

E 03:46:40 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:08:28

I 03:46:40 Average Write Rate: 9.966 KB/s (7.2x) - Maximum Write Rate: 11.421 KB/s (8.2x)

So can please anyone explain to me why this happened ?

Thanks.

No idea really, you'd have to ask your drive.

Could you please copy + paste everything from the disc info panel on the right when you're back on the main screen and have one of the failed discs in the drive.

Then please do another burn on a new disc but this time, press F8 before it finishes burning and starts on the 'sync cache' bit. That'll enable debug mode and a few extra bits will get put in the log. Save the log to a file and upload it here on the forum please.

Pure speculations, but it might have something to do with this issue in the log file:

Recorder Buffer Memory

There is yet one more very significant factor with respect to dependable record sessions and the critical data stream - the recorder's "buffer." Even with the fastest computer, the data stream can be interrupted due to occasional hard drive access or network sharing environments. For that reason, recorders have a data buffer and they vary in size. Early recorders had a 512K buffer for single speed machines. As the speed of the recorders increased, generally so did the buffer. The fact remains that there are some X4 speed CD Recorders that still only have 512K buffers. With such a small buffer your computer data speed requirements become extremely critical. In fact, you'd better have the fastest computer on the market today with the fastest hard drive to ever achieve a successful record session at X4 speed. Such recorders should be avoided. I recommend a buffer size of at least 1MB, but 2MB provides even more protection against a data flow outage.

When data is sent from the computer's hard drive to the recorder, it fills the recorder's buffer with data before it's received by the laser record head. A separate CPU in the recorder moves data in the buffer to the record head at the required demand rate. If an outage occurs at the input of the buffer, the recording session isn't affected as long as some data already exists in the buffer. A full 2MB buffer can deliver data to the record head with up to a three-second data outage from the data source at the X1 speed. Faster speeds are less forgiving. The larger buffers on the new machines yield yet another benefit. Let's say you're using one of the higher record speeds coupled to a system that can just barely keep up with the data demand. Now, let's say a data outage occurs because someone decides to use the computer to access mail or save a large file to the hard drive at the same time you're recording a session (this happened to me). With the earlier machines it spelled disaster and you had the dreaded buffer underrun.

Recorders today with the larger buffers can actually sense the loss of data at the buffer's input and, since the buffer is large enough, permit proper closure of the track. True, the track is incomplete;however, proper closure permits you to reload the incomplete track and try another recording session using the same CD media!

http://www.chips.navy.mil/archives/97_oct/file9.htm

:)

No idea really, you'd have to ask your drive.

Could you please copy + paste everything from the disc info panel on the right when you're back on the main screen and have one of the failed discs in the drive.

Then please do another burn on a new disc but this time, press F8 before it finishes burning and starts on the 'sync cache' bit. That'll enable debug mode and a few extra bits will get put in the log. Save the log to a file and upload it here on the forum please.

Hi UK,

OK I copy + paste the Disc Info panel data's here ;

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216 1.09 (ATAPI)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Supported Write Speeds: 4x; 6x; 8x; 12x; 16x

Disc Control Blocks Information:

PIONEER DVR-216

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Disc ID: MCC-004-00

Book Type: DVD+R

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196.608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2.491.711

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

I did burn few other discs after this one and they all burned just fine. Any idea why its like that ?

Pure speculations, but it might have something to do with this issue in the log file:

Recorder Buffer Memory

There is yet one more very significant factor with respect to dependable record sessions and the critical data stream - the recorder's "buffer." Even with the fastest computer, the data stream can be interrupted due to occasional hard drive access or network sharing environments. For that reason, recorders have a data buffer and they vary in size. Early recorders had a 512K buffer for single speed machines. As the speed of the recorders increased, generally so did the buffer. The fact remains that there are some X4 speed CD Recorders that still only have 512K buffers. With such a small buffer your computer data speed requirements become extremely critical. In fact, you'd better have the fastest computer on the market today with the fastest hard drive to ever achieve a successful record session at X4 speed. Such recorders should be avoided. I recommend a buffer size of at least 1MB, but 2MB provides even more protection against a data flow outage.

When data is sent from the computer's hard drive to the recorder, it fills the recorder's buffer with data before it's received by the laser record head. A separate CPU in the recorder moves data in the buffer to the record head at the required demand rate. If an outage occurs at the input of the buffer, the recording session isn't affected as long as some data already exists in the buffer. A full 2MB buffer can deliver data to the record head with up to a three-second data outage from the data source at the X1 speed. Faster speeds are less forgiving. The larger buffers on the new machines yield yet another benefit. Let's say you're using one of the higher record speeds coupled to a system that can just barely keep up with the data demand. Now, let's say a data outage occurs because someone decides to use the computer to access mail or save a large file to the hard drive at the same time you're recording a session (this happened to me). With the earlier machines it spelled disaster and you had the dreaded buffer underrun.

Recorders today with the larger buffers can actually sense the loss of data at the buffer's input and, since the buffer is large enough, permit proper closure of the track. True, the track is incomplete;however, proper closure permits you to reload the incomplete track and try another recording session using the same CD media!

http://www.chips.navy.mil/archives/97_oct/file9.htm

:)

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for that info but I never had any Buffer Underrun before, the DVR-216BK has a 2mb internal memory and the PC has 4GB memory. I don't use the PC for anything while burning cause usually burning only takes up about 10-12 mins time.

But YES, I did observe that while burning this particular disc the Buffer levels sure did go crazy and usually it ramins stable at 100%.

The question is, Why did the buffers jump around ONLY on this particular disc ? I burned the same file to another MCC-004-00 disc (after this failed session) and NO PROBLEMS and the buffers remained at 100% as usual !!!

These are GOOD QUALITY MEDIA a MITSUBISHI DVD+R 16x (MCC-004-00) and it shouldn't be having these kinds of problems...

Was that disc info from when you were in Write mode?

Could you repeat it when you're in Read mode please as I recall it's slightly different.

OK, here are the info's from the Read mode, hope it helps ;

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216 1.09 (ATAPI)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Disc Control Blocks Information:

PIONEER DVR-216

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Nope, didn't help... oh well!

Now try Tools -> Drive -> Close -> Track / Session / Disc (in that order).

If you get any error messages, please copy the contents of the error box to the clipboard and then paste it into your reply. (Use CTRL+C to copy the text from the error box to the clipboard)

Nope, didn't help... oh well!

Now try Tools -> Drive -> Close -> Track / Session / Disc (in that order).

If you get any error messages, please copy the contents of the error box to the clipboard and then paste it into your reply. (Use CTRL+C to copy the text from the error box to the clipboard)

OK, do we do that in Write Mode ? cause I tried that in Write Mode and it says "Error Disc Not Empty" and nothing happens !!!

It doesn't matter which mode you're in so long as the correct drive is selected in the drop down box.

I'm not asking you to burn anything, just put one of the failed discs in the drive and go through those 3 options in the Tools menu as mentioned in my previous post.

It doesn't matter which mode you're in so long as the correct drive is selected in the drop down box.

I'm not asking you to burn anything, just put one of the failed discs in the drive and go through those 3 options in the Tools menu as mentioned in my previous post.

OK, I did the 3 task that you suggested before and the Drive did someting with no error messages and it went to standby again...

And I assume the disc status still shows up as 'incomplete' in that text on the right?

Weird that it wouldn't error out on any of the 3 close options. Oh well, I guess it's ill.

Yeah, I suppose some discs are just Defective from factory no matter how good the Brand is you're bound to get 4-5 defective discs out of 100's or so... :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.