What are the recommended burning speed?

shen293

From what I have read so far...

I've noticed that people say to burn a DVD at a really fast speed, ex:16x would result in a blurry/bad playback

and that burning at 2x speed is much safer and the results are clearer in a way

Are both of these true?

And also considering that some people may burn a DVD in like a matter of 5 minutes...

And since my burning takes like about an hour to an hour and a half and that everytime when I try to burn a DVD with a speed greater than 2x I get a problem...

anyone have any solutions to this problem..

it would be appreciated thanks..

Hi and welcome to the forum, shen293! :)

The 'best' speed is a combination of the right media/burner/firmware. For a 16x rated disc, I find that the best result is either 8x or 12x. You need to burn some discs at various speeds and then compare the results from a disc scan done by Nero DiscSpeed/DVDInfoPro. The tricky thing is that not all writers are good for scanning purpose.

Your slow speed sounds as DMA is not enabled. In the FAQ section of the forum, there is an entry on how to fix that. I assume you have an internal writer and not an external USB writer that could have been connected to a slow 1.1 USB connection.

Can you post a log from one of your burns? You'll find it here: Main Menu -> Help -> ImgBurn Logs

There both partially true, based on

wether your using a laptop or a desktop,

what your drive is,(wether old or new) ,

your system ( high/middle/low spec),

your media ( what choice you made, if its recognised as top quality or garbage) ,

How upto date your drives firmware is,

how old your dvd player is and what formats it will play comfortably

ect , ect , ect

Post a log file of one of 'your' burns and lets see if we can improve your write speeds for you

EDIT . Pipped to the post by Cynthia

Thank you so much guys

As for the log I'll post up a couple as soon as I stock up on more blank DVD-R

I'm planning to get Verbatim as I heard that that was like one of the best media

Previously I used Sony DVD-R and recently I wasted like about 25 dvd's or maybe more(which pissed me off) ... as I keep getting an I/O error...

I'll post up a log for that too.. so whenever I burn ..its like I'm taking a risk...

so I wanna change that too..

I'll keep you guys updated..thanks so much

Hey guys..ok

I went through the logs that I have and I realized that I have 2 different errors...

This is one of them:

I 09:23:34 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 09:23:34 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 09:23:34 Total Physical Memory: 981,480 KB - Available: 502,424 KB

W 09:23:34 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 09:23:34 Initialising SPTI...

I 09:23:34 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 09:23:34 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

LIGHTNING UK,

So For Log 1: I would try to burn at 8x speed and post up the results

as For Log 2: I don't get what I'm really supposed to do..

I read it up on FAQ and did as what you say..

except when I search up "E:" on Process Explorer, I get 36 matching items ( after clicking 'Find' -> 'Find Handle')

as when I search up "cdrom" on Process Explorer, I get 0 matching items

And you said to click search on it... which I did and understood it too..

But Should I like terminate all '36 matching items' or not?

cause I'm worried that it would corrupt or maybe disrupt my entire computer system

Is it safe and would cause no harm?

thanks...

Are you getting the unable to lock volume message when trying to burn? You only need to do what the FAQ says when you're getting that message and don't know which program is holding the drive.

Are you getting the unable to lock volume message when trying to burn? You only need to do what the FAQ says when you're getting that message and don't know which program is holding the drive.

I am getting the ubable to lock volume message..

and currently I am trying to fix it through the FAQ

if anything I'll post it up...thanks

I have tried burning another DVD at a more sensible speed

which was 8x... however, I'm still using the same media DVD-R Sony 4.7gb and not Verbatim yet.. just to see what would be the outcome

and this was what I got:

I 20:32:14 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 20:32:14 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 20:32:14 Total Physical Memory: 981,480 KB - Available: 393,604 KB

W 20:32:14 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 20:32:14 Initialising SPTI...

I 20:32:14 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:32:14 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

I 21:34:17 Average Write Rate: 838 KB/s (0.6x) - Maximum Write Rate: 1,155 KB/s (0.8x)

Did you follow the post about DMA and removed your controllers? If you did, do it again as it's back to PIO mode.

I read the FAQ..

and under my Device Manager

I found my Primary and Secondary IDE channel not under IDE Controllers branch but under an unknown section

The name of the section is "Unknown" (which I doubt really matter... does it?)

And under that, I have 2 primary IDE controllers and 2 secondary IDE controllers

and only the 1st primary controller of the 2 and the 2nd secondary controller of the 2 has a scroll

under 'Transfer Mode' which was under the category of 'Advanced Setting' that gives me the option to choose

"DMA if available" or "PIO Only"

both my primary and secondary are on "DMA if available"

The 'Transfer Mode' on my secondary IDE channel IS on DMA if available but the 'Current Transfer Mode' is on PIO mode

Btw I have a Windows xp

I'm a little lost to what I'm suppose to do now

Edited by shen293

Use SIW (look in Hardware -> Motherboard/BIOS/PCI/etc) or similar tool to find out which chipset you have then use Google to find the latest drivers for your chipset.

I know this sounds difficult but this is needed to make your computer work in an optimal manner. It is also possible that this may help with your burning problems.

I tried using SIW as you said...

but its a hassle...havta go through many procedures..

and my computer is at least 4 years old

so do you think that may be the problem to why I always fail burning..

I probably would have to get a new driver yea?

my current one is HP DVD Writer 740b ED24

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.