DVD Burner and SPTI issues in XP Home Edition SP3

eckoman

Before I get told to read the FAQ section, I have read it. This problem started after a firmware update.

I have an LG GH22LP20 DVD Burner on a Qaud Core Intel cpu running XP home SP3. I have always been able to use programs like Nero, ImgBurn, and DVDFab under the restricted access "User" account, despite the fact the programs seem to require the SPTI to recognize the drive and for I/O. I've been able to rip and burn from this account for as long as I had the computer. Ripped and Burned over 450 gigs of crap from the restricted access user account using ImgBurn, Nero and the like. I installed these programs the day I built the computer and it's worked fine since. As I said, for half a year and 450 gigs worth of crap it's been fine, recognizing the burner under this restricted account...until tonight.

Today, I decided for the heck of it to run the "LG ODD Firmware update" program that came with the burner (I shouldn't have, I'm always suspicious of things). It found a firmware update and told me what to do and I ran it. It was LG Electronics GH22LP20 Firmware Version v1.02, which provides "Improved Writing strategy." I thought "why not" since it's always been a little slow at getting up to speed on burner and rips using most imgburn and the like.

Anyways, after this, Nothing will recognize the DVD Burner in user mode. Imgburn says "Access Denied" and "You need administrator privileges to use SPTI." It's ALWAYS recognized things fine before. Also, after I installed the firmware, some of my ASUS auto power settings (I forgot the name) got messed up and turned off. I was able to do system restore to get that back to normal.

However, no matter what I do, it will not recognize the burners now under the "User" restricted access mode. I know it would before, as I had 400+ gigs of crap on my drive I've gotten on there and burned, all under the user account, using these very programs that now recognize nothing.

They all seem to work under the "Owner" account that has admin privileges, but I have no interest in using that account all the time. I'd like to restore it so these programs can find the DVD Burner and use it under the restricted access "User" account.

I have no idea why it can't find the SPTI anymore, what it did or why these programs no find the DVD Burner work under User mode. I've un-installed and re-installed most of them to no avail.

Here is one of my old ImgBurn logs, from a few weeks ago. This was done under the restricted access "User" mode. It successfully initialized the SPTI and found the devices, and it successfully burned stuff too, as you can see.

I 10:04:58 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 10:04:58 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 10:04:58 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,096 KB - Available: 1,410,336 KB

I 10:04:58 Initialising SPTI...

I 10:04:58 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

E 10:04:58 Failed to check for ImgBurn update!

I 10:04:58 Found 1 DVD

Edited by eckoman

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.