Calculator Hangs @ 66%

tim545

I'm new to ImgBurn today after making multiple coaster using Nero.

I have rarely burned DL or had the need to, but I currently have a project where I need the extra capacity.

I have two different avi files (both prepared using Xvid) that I have prepared using ConvertXtoDVD, running on Vista with a Samsung SH-S223Q with Firmware SB03 updated today. The drive is only a couple months old. Both files play fine with VLC, both the original avi's and subsequent files in the VIDEO_TS folders.

I was following instructions (http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1780) for building and burning a DL using ImgBurn, but when I click on the calculator and the Preparing Image and Create Layer Break Position windows pop-up, the progress reaches 66% quickly, than hangs. I have tried this repeatedly and using the results from both avi files.

Could anyone suggest something I might try to correct this problem?

--tim

ImgBurn.log

Edited by tim545

Hi and welcome to the forum, tim545! :)

You say 'and subsequent files in the VIDEO_TS folders.' - so it is only one VIDEO_TS folder you try to add in the build mode window?

Cynthia, Yes it is what I consider to be a typical VIDEO_TS file, which was generated by ConvertXtoDVD, which contains several VOB files and a couple bup and ifo files.

I did do as mmvales suggested, that is I selected one of the two options in the Create Layer Break Position window, however I was under the impression that once the calculator finished it would provide a rating (with the color ratings) as to which one would be best to select. In my case, neither seemed to be rated, so as suggested simply clicked on one (the top one) and it finished the calculation and took me back to the ImgBurn window.

Is that the way it works?

--tim

It should give you a rating from Excellent to Average. Can you post an image of the 'Crate Layer Position Window'?

so as suggested simply clicked on one (the top one) and it finished the calculation and took me back to the ImgBurn window.

Is that the way it works?

--tim

Yes, and then you are returned to the 'Build' window and you should then press the

mode305.png

assuming that you want to create an image.

Cnythia, Thank you for trying to help me. I pushed up three images to http://www.scottsdaletech.com/downloads/; ImgBurn1-3. I had to "black-out" the file name in one of the images because I use telephone numbers as identifiers in filenames. I just tried the method I mentioned earlier and it resulted to two more scrape DL DVDs.

Does this provide you with any information that is helpful?

--tim

So when you are in this window - you click on the row with the average star and then press the OK button and then it returns to the build window?

ImgBurn3.png

When you then are back in the build mode - you should press the go button and it should show you the layer break window again.

What I did from the window you displayed (I couldn't figure out how to post it direct in the forum, thus the link) was to click on it, but while it works fine in the avi and from the Video_TS folder from VLC, it does produce a DVD, but it has hundreds of errors on verify. When I attempt to play it from within VLC it seems as though the problems is about halfway through the video (about where I think the second layer of the DL would kick in).

I've been burning "lot's" of regular DVDs with this burner without problems. As I mentioned, this probably is one of the few

DL's I've every attempted to burn. In the past I've always used Nero, but now it doesn't work. Many folks (on other forums) have indicated that ImgBurn is better anyway, especially with DL.

I'm confused.

Can you post that burning log that got those verify errors?

You'll find it here: Main Menu -> Help -> ImgBurn Logs

Cynthia, I'm not sure the burning logs are correct, in that I've looked through them and I don't see the errors. The original log I uploaded I'd saved to my desktop. I did as you asked and saw another log file which I renamed to ImgBurn1.log. I'll attache both. I'm about to go to bed for the night. I really do appreciate your help. I'd like to understand this better.

--tim

ImgBurn1.log

ImgBurn.log

You could do a last try to burn them at the speed that your writer supports - 2.4x.

I 17:07:37 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D00-01) (Speeds: 2.4x)

I 17:07:37 Write Speed: 2x

I 17:35:53 Average Write Rate: 5,134 KB/s (3.7x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,686 KB/s (4.1x)

In the log, you selected 2x and the writer decided to go for 4x.

If that still fails - use mmalves suggestion.

Cynthia and mmalves,

Thanks for all your feedback and efforts. I see that it is probably the "crappy media." I've been trying so many things over the last couple days to solve this and I did read the comments and guides about burning and I do remember seeing Verbatium mentioned repeatedly. Actually, I don't even see a brand name on my DL DVDs and must admit I didn't even purchase them. They were given to me by a client years ago that wanted another project (lots of document scanned to PDFs). I think I burned only two (of 15) DVDs from this batch at that time and haven't touched them since, however they did work.

I come from computing back in the S100 Bus/CPM days when Verbatium media was frequently the only media available. I remember that I purchased hundreds of 8.5 inch Verbatium Floppy disks (do you remember those?).

I was perplexed as to why I hadn't had a problem with this Samsung drive up until this point, but was aware that the only thing that had changed was that I was burning DL for the first time in years.

I had sort of come to mmalves conclusion, but the hard way. Yesterday, I ripped a standard 4.7 video DVD and burned it on a standard DVD with no problems. Next I did a large backup of files (about 7GB) from my computer to one of these crappy DVDs, and it worked. Next I went to a neighbor that runs a MAC with HDTV (I don't even own a standalone DVD player currently) and asked him to rip one of his BluRay disks, which I than tried to burn DL (thinking that possibly something was wrong with the avi files I'd created), but it also didn't burn correctly.

So while I do believe my problem is crappy DVDs, I am still confused as to why using these same DVDs I was able to successfully burn a bunch of data files, and then a few minutes later not be able to burn (what I fully believe was a successful rip) a video disk. Is there something different (more demanding) about a video disk versus a data disk?

I will get some Verbatiums within the coming days and try again. I'm also going to get out my magnifying glass and see if I can find a name anywhere on these DL disks; they appear to not have a name anywhere. Thank you.

--tim

Cynthia and mmalves,

An additional follow-up. After burning another couple scrap DVDs, I finally decided to delete many, many GBs worth of test files, go back to my original 2 avi files, reproduce the vob files and try again. I selected 2.4 burn rate this time. File1.avi burned successfully. File2.avi resulted in two unsuccessful burns, then I finally got a successful burn.

I see that the information was there in one of the windows (and the log), but that I had simply overlooked it, that being that the slowest speed my burner wants is 2.4. This somewhat confused me because as I was watching the status as it was burning I was seeing variable burn rates up around 4 to 5. But I finally was able to complete my project.

I will make certain to replace these DVDs with better quality in the future.

Thanks again.

--tim

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd follow through on this thread and report what my results were, thanks to the help suggested on this thread.

I did purchase Verbatim DVDs (2.4x DVD+R DL) from Newegg, where I'll mention here that some customer feedback reported recent problems with Verbatim disks indicating that Verbatim recently relocated their production facilities to another country, which is when they began having problems. Those that provided feedback did not indicate the conditions under which they had problems, just that they hadn't have problems previously but were now.

Still, I purchased Verbatim's and they worked perfect for me. By the time they arrived I had ten projects I wanted to burn onto DL DVDs. I used ImgBurn at the lowest burn speed compatible with my drive and these disks (2.4) and did not have a single problem.

When running calculator from within ImgBurn I "never" had one track highlighted as a preferred track on which to split; all were average (gray icon), none were ever above average.

Many thanks to those knowledgeable souls that helped me through this process. I'm delighted I discovered ImgBurn as it appears to definitely be a great improvement over Nero, particularly when it comes to DL burning.

--tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.