Use LB analysis tool to automate MDS file writing

fordman

Would it be possible to have the MDS file creation tool call up the LB analysis tool to enter the LB sector number chosen automatically?

My current method is to run the LB analysis tool, look at the sector number where I want to create the LB point, and then run the MDS file creation tool and then manually enter the number from memory or by looking at the log. Even the ability to cut the sector number from the LB tool and paste into the MDS file creation tool would be a big improvement....

Regards,

fordman

Adding the option to copy the value is a possiblity, I wouldn't bother with the other one.

Might I ask why you're having to make the MDS anyway? The program automatically makes the MDS file when Reading or Building an image so (assuming you're using ImgBurn in the first place) there shouldn't be any need.

Adding the option to copy the value is a possiblity, I wouldn't bother with the other one.

OK, thanks. When I first used the tool to make the MDS, I somewhat expected that it would use the LB algorithm. The ability to copy and paste the sector number will suffice.

Might I ask why you're having to make the MDS anyway? The program automatically makes the MDS file when Reading or Building an image so (assuming you're using ImgBurn in the first place) there shouldn't be any need.

Certainly, though I'm surprised you would ask why I'm using one of ImgBurn's features. I use it for the same reason you included it in the program! :-)

Seriously though, I imagine you designed it as part of ImgBurn because you could foresee circumstances where a user might need it. In my case there are different instances where I have used it. In one such instance I've used one of your previous programs to make a .ISO/.MDS image set. When burning with ImgBurn, I routinely check for the optimal layer break position even when I have a .MDS with the original location. On several occasions ImgBurn has found more than one possible LB position - the original and alternates. Sometimes I find the alternate to be preferable to the original location, e.g. between titlesets instead of in the middle of a titleset. I've found that as long as the original .MDS is in the directory with the .ISO, ImgBurn will always use that instead of any different position I've chosen in the dialog. Therefore, I make a replacement .MDS with the position I desire. There are of course other instances where I've encountered a .ISO (with compliant LB possibilities), but it had no .MDS with it. The ability to make a .MDS with the desired LB position is valuable in this case also.

Thanks again for your consideration of my suggestion!

It's always nice to hear about how different people use different bits of the program :)

btw, when you make a new MDS to overwrite an old one, do you load/add the MDS into the 'Create DVD MDS File' window or do you add the actual image file(s)?

It's always nice to hear about how different people use different bits of the program :)

btw, when you make a new MDS to overwrite an old one, do you load/add the MDS into the 'Create DVD MDS File' window or do you add the actual image file(s)?

No doubt about it - I LOVE your ImgBurn program, which is one reason I decided to donate awhile back. Since it started handling audio CDs, I've found that I can completely ignore all other CD/DVD burning software on my system. (Side note, I've found that I can reproduce the original CRCs of all audio tracks burned with ImgBurn, while EAC will only allow reproduction of about one-third of the CRCs on the copy!)

I don't actually overwrite the original MDS file. After using ImgBurn to check the original position, I close ImgBurn, move or delete the original MDS and then add the ISO file in the make MDS dialog, manually enter the LB sector number and OTP. It then correctly makes a new MDS with the position I chose. Because of the possible conflict, I never thought of opening the original MDS file. Would the LB sector stored in the original possibly override the sector number I'm putting into the dialog if I used it instead?

By the way, when burning an .ISO/.MSD image set that I've made from a DVD that didn't have a LB flag set, e.g. most Sony titles and SuperBit titles, the burned copy will be the same (no LB), and the log does not show that the flag was reset. I assume this is because the MDS overrides the flag reset logic in ImgBurn to ensure the structure is the same as the original. However, since I want the LB flag set, I've deleted or moved the original MDS in this instance and load the .ISO instead. Then ImgBurn will insert a LB flag (actually modify the ISO image) as desired. I suppose if I made a replacement .MDS, it would burn it as if there was a flag at that sector, but not actually insert it into the relevant .IFO/.BUP in the ISO image? I think I tried it once and that was the case - I found I HAD to burn the .ISO directly to get it to insert the LB flag. I've found the workaround, but perhaps it would be useful to add an option to "always insert LB flag in images without one" for new users?

Thanks again,

fordman

Edited by fordman

I've found the workaround, but perhaps it would be useful to add an option to "always insert LB flag in images without one" for new users?

If the MDS is present and loaded (with a valid LB value), the correct thing is to assume is that the ISO should not be modified. I'm sorry but I won't be changing that.

By moving the ISO's LB via the use of a custom MDS file, you're technically 'doing it all wrong'. You should recreate the ISO and have ImgBurn fixup the SPLIP flags etc to match the the new MDS file it'll then create.

By recreating the ISO in Build mode you'll also potentially open up a whole load more LB positions that simply weren't available when looking at the ISO as a whole (and where no padding could be applied).

• 1 month later...
I've found the workaround, but perhaps it would be useful to add an option to "always insert LB flag in images without one" for new users?

If the MDS is present and loaded (with a valid LB value), the correct thing is to assume is that the ISO should not be modified. I'm sorry but I won't be changing that.

By moving the ISO's LB via the use of a custom MDS file, you're technically 'doing it all wrong'. You should recreate the ISO and have ImgBurn fixup the SPLIP flags etc to match the the new MDS file it'll then create.

By recreating the ISO in Build mode you'll also potentially open up a whole load more LB positions that simply weren't available when looking at the ISO as a whole (and where no padding could be applied).

I see you've put the cut/paste option in the newest version, though I've not had a chance to try it yet - thanks!

As far as "doing it all wrong," I have to disagree. If I can make a simple change and move the physical layer break point from somewhere in the midst of a video titleset to before an .IFO file, for instance, and all the while maintain the original file dates/times, original authoring program info, etc, that is contained in the original image, that is doing it all RIGHT per my way of thinking. Those details were the true beauty of your previous, decomissioned program. Anyway, I thought when you first added this capability, it was supposed to fix up the SLIP flags directly in the .IFO and .BUP files of the image, including resetting an existing one in favor of the new one that the user selects? Since I always compare the individual files of my burned discs to the image before erasing the image, I am sure the .IFOs and .BUPs are changed, but I haven't had an existing one for awhile in a titleset that I wanted to relocate to another cell within the same titleset. However, I do recall an old forum message where you replied that ImgBurn should do that, and I provided an example of where it failed. I think it may have been related to the old bug where I pointed out that ImgBurn was corrupting VOBs and NOT adjusting the .BUP when it adjusted the .IFO. I think you found that it was related to the wrong number of bits used in calculating the position within the image file, and it was changing bits in a VOB instead of the .BUP which was further into the image.

In the specific instance I brought up, i.e. Sony discs, I am using this feature to move the physical LB sector from within a titleset where Sony doesn't bother to set the SPLIP flag at all to before an .IFO file of another titleset, and the new position is actually CLOSER to the optimal 50/50 split of the image. Yep, that is definitely doing it all right! Thankfully you forsaw the value of doing this and added the ability to select LB positions from existing images...

fordman

Edited by fordman

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.