Correct (Don't) Add... version number

ady4um

This is kind of an interface/display bug you should correct.

Using 2.4.2.0 version.

Build mode -> Right upper panel -> Advanced -> Restriction -> Joliet .

The last check Box is displayed as

"Add ';1' Version Number To Files".

According to the guides in this forum, it should be

"Don't Add ';1' Version Number To Files" ,

as it's displayed under the ISO9660 tab.

Reading the guides, you can see it also explained as "Don't Add..." (both for ISO9660 and Joliet), but the screenshots of those same guides are clearly displaying the option just as "Add...", without the word "Don't" (under Joliet).

This is the opposite! Please doublecheck this function and display it accordingly, both in the program interface and in the guides' screenshots.

Thank you in advance.

Cynthia, thanks.

But actually, I'm not sure the guide's description was wrong. It could be possible the description of this checkbox option at the program's UI itself is the wrong one. I mean, maybe the program should display this option as "Don't Add ';1' Version Number To Files" for both ISO9660 and Joliet? And maybe the guide's description was correct, without knowing it.

I hope the programmer will see this and clear this issue here, so the guide and the program could display the same, correct and real description.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for answering about this issue.

Burning in general, and ImgBurn in particular, is quite new to me, so I don't know why the defaults are opposite options in this case. I mean, while under ISO9660 standard, the default is to add version number; under Joliet - an extension of the same ISO9660 - the default is NOT to add this version number.

A) Could someone explain why these 2 defaults are as they are and when each should be changed?

Maybe the author could evaluate changing the description of this option to be the same under both tabs, ISO9660 and Joliet. While doing this, if the defaults for each tab should be as described before, then one default status could be checked, and the other one unchecked (Actually, Cynthia "wrongly" described these 2 options in this way in her Guide).

I'm not 100% sure which is better, if describing this option should be the same, and the checkbox status should be different; or otherwise leaving the checkbox at the same default status while describing this option differently - as it is now in 2.4.2.0 version. I leave this thought to the author.

The aim should be making this option understandable for the user in both tabs. This includes making clear when and why to check/uncheck each one, so the user could decide with confidence before burning.

Aside from this thoughts, I don't know if the PDF version of Cynthia's Guide is correct, since I didn't download it.

I would appreciate if someone (the author?) could comment about this thoughts/suggestion, and maybe even could answer my question (A). Thank you in advance.

The point is that by default the ISO9660 file system is supposed to have ';1' appended to all the file identifiers and under Joliet it isn't.

There are very special cases (everyone is different - right?) where the options might need to be disabled / enabled.

It doesn't really matter if it doesn't make immediate sense to you. As you're learning anyway, just learn it how it's shown in the program.

@LIGHTNING UK!

Maybe I wasn't clear enought.

First, just know reading your answer you are letting me know which are the defaults for each system, ISO9660 and Joliet respectively. I still don't understand why (i.e. purpose) these 2 standards have opposite defaults, but I do understand this is not an ImgBurn issue, so I will search for this elsewhere.

>"There are very special cases (everyone is different - right?) where the options might need to be disabled / enabled."

Well, the "special cases" I was hoping to know about are just the ones mentioned somewhere in the guides, like burning a windows cd/dvd. I think I read about changing the default for ISO9660 in case I want to burn a windows boot cd/dvd. What about Joliet's option for this case?

>"It doesn't really matter if it doesn't make immediate sense to you. As you're learning anyway, just learn it how it's shown in the program."

I think I didnt say it doesn't make sense for me. My suggestion was for you (the author) to think about which could be the best way to display these options for users to understand them. It's a fact that both Cynthia's guide and bluetach pdf guide were wrong. I was thinking actually about users in general, not about me in particular. I assume Cynthia and bluetach already know about this option (not just learning, as I am). If they had it wrong, imagine other users!

I hope I was clear enought this time, and I thank you all for your answers. You are certainly helping users like me.

The reason that I had it wrong is that I'm a very lazy woman and just copied the formatting and the text label field from the ISO part into the Joliet part.

The ISO-9660 standard says the version number (a semicolon followed by a

number at the end of every filename) has to be there. Most operating

systems simply ignore it, but until recently the Mac didn't, causing some

problems.

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/cd-recordable/index.html

The only time you really need to disable it is if you build a Windows O/S installation disc. On the other hand - ImgBurn will know that you are building such a disc and check mark it for you.

The Joliet standard doesn't need it.

That's why the options are 'laterally reversed '.

:)

Cynthia, I don't think is really a matter of laziness. But whatever reason, I'm almost sure there are many others thinking this option is really exactly the same in both ISO9660 and Joliet. Many (lazy?) users could be not really paying attention to the text ("Don't Add... vs. Add...), but just assuming its the same under both tabs. So right now the reasons for both guides being wrong is not so important. The important issue is if there is any way to improve this for the next version, and that's what I really request from the author. This is not specifically for me, but for every ImgBurn user.

Cynthia, I thank you for answering my questions and for improving your guide, and I hope this topic could help others too.

I'm almost sure there are many others thinking this option is really exactly the same in both ISO9660 and Joliet.

How are you almost sure of this? Have you taken a survey?

And you are suggesting that the program be changed to NOT reflect the standard. That is ridiculous.

A simple mistake was made in the guide; that's all. It has been corrected. Don't make a federal case out of it.

Regards

I'm not 100% sure, and my "almost sure" was simply using a common accepted expression. I based that (educated, IMHO) assumption in the guides being wrong. Everyone could misread some text, specially if the user read some very similar one just before.

For example, you misread my suggestion. I wasn't requesting to change the defaults of the program, but to display both options in a similar way in both tabs. In both tabs, the description could be the same. In one, the check box is checked by default. In the other, the check box is unchecked by default.

So, the option are essentially the same, and with the same defaults as 2.4.2.0 version. The only thing I suggested was to re-think if there was any other way to display those options, from the point of view of a user. I'm even not saying my proposal is for sure the best display method, I'm just saying it could be some space for improving and the author could take this into account.

Yes, it was a simple human mistake, and I'm thankful for the correction and for the whole guide.

Mine was a simple suggestion. Maybe I should apologize for something; I'm not sure what for exactly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.