Advertising in ImgBurn?

ElectroGeeza

Hi!

When I start ImgBurn 2.4.2.0 I see some weird message on the bottom of the main window. Last time the message was the following.

"Do you know how difficult it is to fake your own death? Only one man has pulled it off. Elvis!"

What the hell is that all about?... is it a joke? If so, then it's a bad and tasteless one! Is it some kind of promotion or advertising? Is it caused by a virus or addware or spyware? In either way, it's not according to the manual and it's not appealing to see.

post-17347-1237043745_thumb.jpg

Hmm... interesting! So this is not some advertisement then?! That's good. I know that some "free software" software applications feature addons similar to these quotes in ImgBurn. The developers of such software may include a textual add instead of the graphical counterpart in an attempt to make it less user intrusive. But these are usually URL links pointing to an external Web site, but they may be text only as well.

This is an interesting feature. But it's an unnecessary feature and I don't think it belongs there in a software application such as ImgBurn. I don't think many ImgBurn users even read those. The main operations are not performed on the main program window. It could be of more use if these funny messages were shown during the disc writing operations. I also think that these messages should be set to OFF as default.

If these messages are quotes, who is the above message quoting? I don't think it's appropriate to make jokes about a dead man. Elvis won't be alive just because we want him to be alive. I'm sure he won't wake from the dead solely by our own will. I wouldn't say that it shows a lack of humor when someone dislikes a joke like that about a dead man, it rather shows respect for the dead. May he rest in peace.

Edited by ElectroGeeza

Dead%20Horse%204.JPG

They are turned on by default and until only recently, when the most anal users have surfaced, has the option to even turn off the quotes even been possible...thank your lucky stars.

If these messages are quotes, who is the above message quoting? I don't think it's appropriate to make jokes about a dead man. Elvis won't be alive just because we want him to be alive. I'm sure he won't wake from the dead solely by our own will. I wouldn't say that it shows a lack of humor when someone dislikes a joke like that about a dead man, it rather shows respect for the dead. May he rest in peace.

Blame this guy

mulder122ie.jpg

and Fox Network as the program is only quoting them.

SCULLY: I think Howard Graves faked his own death.

MULDER: Do you know how difficult it is to fake your own death? Only one man has pulled it off, Elvis.

Ah so the plot thickens, it was a quote, after all. Nice find Cynthia!

Apparently this condition has a name...

Pseudocide is a neologism (or Americanism) for faking one's own death. The popular British slang expression "doing a Reggie Perrin" refers to pseudocide after a popular British comedy series.

Pseudocides often consist of fake drownings, because it provides a plausible reason for the absence of a body. According to an urban legend, sometimes credited to an unnamed study, as many as a quarter of suicides from San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge in which no body was found could have been faked.

Now why would Elvis fake his own death? And who had most to gain? :unsure:

everything you see in the bottom line of the window is a quote from a film or TV show, as already advised, if it offends , just turn the quotes off in settings

your only the 1st or 2nd person to ever mention the quotes in a negative way, its a bit of harmless fun. but when Elvis does re-appear he can sue the arse of us if he likes :)

Elvis has left the building

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.