Power Calibration Area Error...add me to the list :)

uradodah

Hello all.

I love ImgBurn but have suddenly begun to run into an issue when trying to burn and ISO image to a dual layer DVD. I will paste the latest log info shortly. Before that, a bit of background...

First, and foremost, so that I can be spared the 'buy a better brand of media' comments - I've always used Verbatim media and continue using Verbatim discs for all of my burning needs. Personally, I've never had an issue that was ultimately attributed directly to the brand of media, but I've literally used Verbatim 99% of the time so I don't have a lot of experience with other media brands to draw from.

With that said, I had been happily burning away on my Dell XPS M1330 notebook for going on 2 years now. ImgBurn has been used for all of my ISO buring needs. I've never had a problem until recently.

Currently, after loading a '.dvd' file in preparation to burn an Xbox 360 game ISO, I keep getting the "Power Calibration Area Error" just before the point where ImgBurn would begin loading the buffer to start burning the data.

I've done all the standard troubleshooting procedures on my end - uninstalled/reinstalled the driver for my Matshita DVD drive (there's a reason the word 'sh*t' is in the name of that drive...Dell had to replace it about 8 months ago), I also uninstalled/reinstalled ImgBurn just to see if that would have a positive outcome and I even tried a different brand of media. Nothing works. Also, there are no updated drivers for my Matshita drive. I wish there was a custom driver available. :(

Where my confusion comes from is that when I try to burn the same '.dvd' and/or ISO file using another program - such as CloneCD - everything works PERFECTLY! The data burns just fine and the Xbox 360 reads the discs and allows me to play the games as usual.

This begs the question then: Why would ImgBurn give me this error when other programs appear to work fine? Does ImgBurn do hardware checks that other burning software does not?

My gut tells me that, in all likelihood, my Matshita DVD drive is going out AGAIN . I may have to place another warranty replacement call to Dell. :) However, I'd like to hear the forum's resident 'experts' feedback prior to moving forward. Do you agree that my drive may be dying again - or could there be a different issue going on in this case - since other software appears to work?

Thanks in advance for putting up with my long post and for offering any feedback or advice that may help resolve this issue. I sincerely appreciate your efforts!

As promised, here's a copy of the latest log file:

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Sunday, 22 March 2009, 03:19:18

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 03:16:29 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 03:16:29 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 03:16:29 Total Physical Memory: 3,142,972 KB - Available: 1,931,560 KB

I 03:16:29 Initialising SPTI...

I 03:16:29 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 03:16:29 Found 1 DVD

You could try again with 'Perform OPC' enabled in the settings.

Thanks for the response! I'll give it a try and will let you know how it goes.

What does that setting mean? I'll try to research it...I just didn't know if this was an obvious setting that I missed or something. Also, if my drive truly is going bad, will this setting only mask the real issue by forcing ImgBurn to burn the data anyway?

Thanks again!

This begs the question then: Why would ImgBurn give me this error when other programs appear to work fine? Does ImgBurn do hardware checks that other burning software does not?

There was the same question regarding the PMA issue and Lite-On burners some months ago. I had an image that always got a failure in ImgBurn and Nero 8 but if I burned it in CDBurnerXP and some other programs - no error.

I know lots of you are seeing ' Program Memory Area Update Failure ' (or ' PMA Update Failure ') type errors and today I've spent a while figuring out why you seem to be complaining that it's just with ImgBurn and other programs don't show the error.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=7860

To rule out that your other programs doesn't report the error back as it should, you could try with the other burning program that seems to work as it should (at least with the PMA issue) - Nero. Install the demo version and try to burn your image in that program and see if you get the error in that one.

You could try again with 'Perform OPC' enabled in the settings.

What does that setting mean? I'll try to research it...I just didn't know if this was an obvious setting that I missed or something. Also, if my drive truly is going bad, will this setting only mask the real issue by forcing ImgBurn to burn the data anyway?

Performing Optimum Power Calibration (OPC ) is a special technique used in newer CD/DVD recordable drives to perform a test write and read in an area inside of the lead-in, in order to determine the best laser power for recording and to adjust to each recordable disc, which may vary slightly from different manufacturers, or for other reasons.

It doesn't work with all burners - that's why it's not set on default - but I have it enabled and IMO it gives you a little bit better burning result when you scan the burned disc.

:)

Thanks, Cynthia. Fantastic info!

As I was researching the OPC setting (Google is my friend!) I came across and awesome PDF file called "The ImgBurn Settings". It appears you put that guide together - am I right? If so, I'd like to say Thanks. It's a great resource - and one that I hadn't seen in the past.

I always feel like it's important for me - or anyone else - who posts about their problems on forums to try and do some research on their own before AND after posting. In this particular instance, I did a lot of research over the past several days but I never noticed anything regarding the PDF file. It's very likely I was so focused on finding an answer to my specific issue that I missed it.

Anyway, thanks for putting it together...if it was you. :)

I'm going to try enabling OPC and will let you guys know what happens. My fear is that I'm still dealing with a dying drive though. I wish I could just get my own drive but the Dell XPS M1330 drives are the thin, built-in type where you insert the disc instead of opening a tray. Forgive my ignorance...I don't the proper name for those types of drives.

I have no idea if those drives can even be replaced by an end-user or OEM drives have to be used as replacements.

Thanks.

If you have an USB connector in that lap top you should be able to put a nice burner in an USB cabinet.

The burners they put in laptops seems to be less well performing as 'regular' non slim type burners.

You can find that and other guides in the ImgBurn guides forum.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4

I always feel like it's important for me - or anyone else - who posts about their problems on forums to try and do some research on their own before AND after posting. In this particular instance,

:thumbup:

Looking at an old Nero log - it seems that Nero reports this issue as it should.

10:44:18 PM #19 Text 0 File DVDPlusDualLayer.cpp, Line 553

L0 Data Zone Capacity set to 2006512 (1E9DF0h, 3918MB) -> ERROR, capacity different:

L0 Data Zone Capacity on disc: 1 ( 1h, 0MB)

L0 Data Zone Capacity requested to be set: 2006512 (1E9DF0h, 3918MB)

10:44:18 PM #20 CDR -1135 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1765

Write error

10:44:18 PM #21 TRANSFER -27 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1765

Could not perform start of Disc-at-once

10:44:18 PM #22 Phase 38 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832

Burn process failed at 2.4x (3,324 KB/s)

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f48/nero-fails-bu...r-start-267959/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.