DVD Player Wont Read...

fox0r

Okay, so I am trying to burn AVI files to play in my DVD player since it doesn't support any special formats. First I convert the AVI to VOB using OJOSoft Total Video Converter. Then I use ImgBurn to make that into an ISO and burned that to a DVD. It gave me the audio and video_ts folders as it's supposed to, but when I put it into my DVD player it tells me "disc is not finalized". So, I'm not sure if it just didn't finalize (I tried to burn a few times before this and it crapped out while verifying. I repacked the ISO and didn't have a problem after that.), if this is the case is there a way I can finalize the DVD without burning another?

Here is the log from the burn and then I also verified it afterward to make sure it was ok. It says it finalized, so I have no idea what the deal is.

I 14:18:11 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 14:18:11 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 14:18:11 Total Physical Memory: 2,023,544 KB - Available: 1,066,888 KB

I 14:18:11 Initialising SPTI...

I 14:18:11 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 14:18:11 Found 1 DVD

Can your PC play the disc?

ImgBurn always finalises discs so there shouldn't be any need to do it manually.

Perhaps your standalone just doesn't like DVD+R media or something. Take a look at the booktype feature and see if your drive responds to the 'Current Media' option on the LiteOn tab. If it does, please let me know!

Can your PC play the disc?

ImgBurn always finalises discs so there shouldn't be any need to do it manually.

Perhaps your standalone just doesn't like DVD+R media or something. Take a look at the booktype feature and see if your drive responds to the 'Current Media' option on the LiteOn tab. If it does, please let me know!

It reads the disc, and if I go into it and open the VOB file it'll play in VLC media player flawlessly.

And I have no idea what you mean by the rest of your post?

Don't play the vob, play the disc as a proper dvd video disc.

It's important that the entire DVD Video structure is complete, not just that the vobs are present. I have no experience of that video conversion tool you mentioned, most people here probably use DVD Flick or ConvertXtoDVD.

Perhaps your standalone just doesn't like DVD+R media or something.

I assume you know that there are 2 formats of DVD.

DVD+R (plus format)

and

DVD-R (minus format)

Some of the earlier standalone players don't like DVD+R media.

You can perform a function known as 'book typing' to change the DVD+R discs to make them look like DVD-ROM... which the standalone should then play.

The book type feature can be found by clicking the 'book' icon/picture down the bottom right of the screen when you're in Write mode. (or via the Tools -> Drive menu)

Bring up that feature, switch to the LiteOn tab and then find 'Current Media' in the drop down box. It'll either show you the current setting or it'll error out.

Don't play the vob, play the disc as a proper dvd video disc.

It's important that the entire DVD Video structure is complete, not just that the vobs are present. I have no experience of that video conversion tool you mentioned, most people here probably use DVD Flick or ConvertXtoDVD.

Perhaps your standalone just doesn't like DVD+R media or something.

I assume you know that there are 2 formats of DVD.

DVD+R (plus format)

and

DVD-R (minus format)

Some of the earlier standalone players don't like DVD+R media.

You can perform a function known as 'book typing' to change the DVD+R discs to make them look like DVD-ROM... which the standalone should then play.

The book type feature can be found by clicking the 'book' icon/picture down the bottom right of the screen when you're in Write mode. (or via the Tools -> Drive menu)

Bring up that feature, switch to the LiteOn tab and then find 'Current Media' in the drop down box. It'll either show you the current setting or it'll error out.

If I put the DVD in and when the auto play menu comes up if I click "Play using Windows Media Player" it'll just play the movie.

The LiteOn thing tells me DVD+R. I've used these same DVDs in this same DVD player before and they've worked. I don't remember what program I used, but it was trial software and left a watermark. It did everything itself though.

Ok, back in the Book Type window, click the 'Advanced' button.

On the screen that pops up, change the 'Drive OEM' to 'Lite-On' and enter the following (without quotes) in the box below it....

'Slimtype'

The next time you burn a disc, ImgBurn will change the booktype to DVD-ROM automatically. You'll then have more of a chance of getting a playable disc.

Hmmm... checking out the software OJOSOFT TVC it seems that it does NOT produce DVD-VIDEO files in the required file structure but it just recodes them to VOB if that is what you request. In other words, it's a video convertor program not a DVD authoring program.

When you say that IMGBURN produced the VIDEO_TS folder, did you check if it also has the .IFO files inside the VIDEO_TS folder which stand-alone DVD players REQUIRE to play DVD-VIDEO?

Edited by Guzeppi

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.