Burn DATA DVDs or DATA CDs?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
I'm also looking for freeware to write data dvds. I found the Folder2ISO utility mentioned in conjunction with ImgBurn - does anyone know if it would work for non-video data?

Folder2Iso is for non-video data definitely! (For DVD-video there is the Imgtool.)

We can't discuss anything related to bypassing copyright protection on DVDs. Logically, if you have a non-protected DVD you have likely created it yourself using an authoring program such as TMPGEnc DVD Author or another authoring package. Yes? All authoring programs that I'm aware of create and burn their own disk images.

huh?

The DVD Authoring application I use (http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dvdlabpro.html) does not make "ISO images" (and I dont want it to, either), but simply creates a valid VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS structure in a folder on disk. Thus, I need something like bloated Nero to burn those files to disk. It already takes 10 minutes to mux a DVD project in dvdlab, I dont need another 5 minutes to create a ISO and then another 10 to burn it, if I could simply use <insert app here> and build+burn in one step (without creating temporary files).

• 2 months later...

OK fair enough. Will it support adding/appending new files to a CD-RW/DVD+-RW which already has files on it, so that after burning it will contain the old and new files (without this feature Imgburn cannot use RW discs to their full effect) ?

I can live without the delete feature since (as I know you know) the files themselves are not actually deleted, so it's more of a cosmetic feature.

I want to move away from bloatware though, and will donate when I can use Imgburn as my primary CD/DVD burner app.

Thanks for at least considering my proposal. :)

BTW, how come the forum was offline earlier today ?

Deleting would be as easy as appending to it - and so as I said no to deleting, I actually meant no to anything multisession.

When you build an image, it doesn't look at / care about the contents of any disc you happen to have in the drive at the time.

If you're going to mess with multisession stuff and adding / removing files, why don't you just get dvdram and let windows handle it?! That or install one of those awful packet writing tools that turn the drive into a virtual hdd type thing.

ImgBurn's 'Build' mode will quite simply take a bunch of files / folders and make an image out of them (or burn them directly to a disc).

I believe that's enough for 99% of users, and that's good enough for me ;)

It's only supposed to be a simple tool after all, one for people that want a specific job done without all the extra fuss.

Right on target. :)

I don't mean to go against the flow although I appear to be from the other related posts (and expect some flak for my troubles :) ), and I certainly think Imgburn is a fine piece of software (so don't get me wrong).

I believe that many people would pay/donate (whichever way you wish to go) good money for a small, fast, simple, efficient piece of CD/DVD burner software which does all of the basics with not too much fluff around the edges (I am one of those people). Any CD/DVD burner app should support multi-session support, simply because that is a feature that the media offers.

My needs for a CD/DVD burner app are quite simple, with support required for:

- Burn images (ISO is fine for me, although other popular image formats would be a bonus)

- Burn files/folders (including multi-session support)

- Burn to multiple recorders simultaneously

- Queue feature for burns

- Decent GUI for easy/informative user interaction

- Ability to burn CD Audio, Video CD, and DVD Video discs (When using Neroto burn DVD Video discs, it appears that simply burning the relevant files in a root folder named "VIDEO_TS" is sufficient)

- Create image from CD/DVD

- Copy CD/DVD (one or more copies to one or more burners). Easy way to implement would be to use the functionality from Create image feature, and then use other in-built functionality to burn it in required manner.

Imgburn already supports (or will do with the next release) most of the above with the exception of the following:

- Multi-session support for burning files/folders to CD's/DVD's

- Burn support for CD Audio and Video CD

- Create image

- Copy CD/DVD

With all these features added, Imgburn could be used as a sole CD/DVD burning app (and Nero et. al could be removed) .

If you're going to mess with multisession stuff and adding / removing files, why don't you just get dvdram and let windows handle it?! That or install one of those awful packet writing tools that turn the drive into a virtual hdd type thing.

In reverse order....

You answered the second part of your (most likely, rhetorical) question yourself - Packet writing tools are awful! :)

DVD-RAM's OK (and will be more than OK when it's possible for 16x burns), but there are still times when RW discs may be preferable (eg. burning DivX/XviD to test the quality of an encoded file on a standalone player - most players do not support DVD-RAM)

ImgBurn's 'Build' mode will quite simply take a bunch of files / folders and make an image out of them (or burn them directly to a disc).

This is OK initially, and I am grateful for your efforts (yes there is going to be a "but" ;):D ), but I (and I'm sure plenty of others) would be appreciative if you could find the time and effort to implement the other features.

I don't know how many/much donations you have received, but I wouldn't have thought it to be too much (due to the human race being inherently cheapskate - if they don't have to pay for something, they won't!). If you made Imgburn a 30-day trial shareware by default, and then charged a very reasonable ?5 or ?10, I don't think many people would complain, or jump ship since it is quality software.

Anyway, I've said my piece and if that still doesn't convince you then I'll rest my case.

BTW, would it be OK to PM you since I have something I'd like to discuss which is not for public consumption at this time ?

Edited by Defenestration

I assume when this option is available that this will do away with the need to use pcgedit when creating an reathoured dual layer disc as you will be able to insert a layerbreak more easily in file mode ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.