No, actually, my OS install disc _should_ be ISO+UDF

Falcon

Hmm, seems a new change slipped through the cracks? Didn't see this change in the changelog...

As has probably been well known, I make a lot of OS install discs with ImgBurn, since ImgBurn knows how to make a DVD+RW bootable while nLite doesn't. Well, with the newest version, seems a small change has been made to produce a "suggestion" about the filesystem used on a OS install CD. Unfortunately it's not a good suggestion... it says to use ISO9660 instead of ISO+UDF or ISO+Joliet.

From my experience, ISO is only used for the basic system startup (prior to the "Press any key to boot from CD..." message), and from then on it uses the "alternative" filesystem on the disc (Joliet or UDF, both natively supported in XP) due to ISO's inability to support the filenames that Windows Setup uses for some of its files. For this reason I've always burned with a dual filesystem setup (typically ISO9660+UDF since it's the default and has less errors than Joliet).

I felt kinda bad telling ImgBurn to "stick it" when it asked me to use ISO only and I had ISO+UDF selected... any particular reason this suggestion was added?

It's done that for a few versions now.

If you actually look at a proper XP disc you'll see that's what it uses. I don't just make these things up you know!

It's all the other settings that then get changed which make it work properly - only you never got that far because you decided you knew better.

It's done that for a few versions now.

If you actually look at a proper XP disc you'll see that's what it uses. I don't just make these things up you know!

Strange... first time I'd seen it was with the new version =\

I do know there was the check for "settings sanity" and we had a little discussion about DOS/ASCII settings, but I'd never seen it tell me to use ISO only (I'd always be declining that... I know that's caused problems on my WinCDs in the past!).

I'll have to see if I can dig up a real Windows CD... I know I've got one around here... somewhere... :P

Well, I'm certainly not gonna duck out of being wrong! Dug up an old, scratched, cracked, and barely-still-alive retail WinXP Home RTM disc, and sure enough, IsoBuster showed only an ISO9660 filesystem. Seems kinda strange considering the goofy file structure on the disc. But it's true... there's only an ISO filesystem on a real Windows disc.

So ya got me there! :lol:

LUK! knows everything about media burning...

You have to listen to him

;)

Hey, hey now... give me some credit here. I was right about the ASCII/DOS thing way back when :thumbup:

I know LUK knows *.* about physically putting things on a disc and that's why I always trust ImgBurn for all my burning whenever possible (except when I need to burn a data compilation *sigh* Nero...), but I don't think LUK! spends all day tinkering with Windows and making the latest-n-greatest WinXP disc! ;)

Edited by Falcon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.