Purpose of MDS files and effect on DVD Video

Lucas

Hello,

I found out recently that when you write an image from a DVD it creates an MDS file automatically even if it is a single layer. I figured like a CUE file this might be the one you want to choose to burn so I did that. The dvd had the info on it, but it lacked the auto-play features that come on a dvd video disc... it just seemed to create a data disc instead.

I realized quickly that if I just write the ISO, or copy the VIDEO_TS folder and write that from the build mode it creates the correct DVD-VIDEO type disc that automatically plays correctly.

I feel kind of dumb asking this, but I couldn't find the answer via searching, but what is the point of the MDS file if it doesn't create the correct type of disc?

The MDS file has some extra information about the image, like the layerbreak on dual-layer disc. If you select to burn the ISO file in Write mode and there's a MDS file with the same name, ImgBurn will use the MDS file automatically, after telling you so.

Can you post the log of that burn? Look in ImgBurn's Help menu.

When the 'Create MDS' option is set to 'Auto', I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be creating an MDS file for single layer media... unless you are putting the file on a FAT32 drive or something and it's having to split the image?

The MDS has nothing to do with the type of disc (or rather the content of it) and it certainly wouldn't make any difference to it auto playing or not.

That's rather odd (@ LUK). ImgBurn has _always_ created an MDS file for every image I build, everything from a 50mb test ISO for VMware, to a 4.3gb DVD image. Reading, building, or otherwise, there's always that MDS sitting next to the ISO. I just assumed it was regular ImgBurn operation. So it's not always supposed to drop a MDS in there? =\

The MDS file has some extra information about the image, like the layerbreak on dual-layer disc. If you select to burn the ISO file in Write mode and there's a MDS file with the same name, ImgBurn will use the MDS file automatically, after telling you so.

Can you post the log of that burn? Look in ImgBurn's Help menu.

Here is the log of the .mds burn as requested. I saw logs for the iso burns, and when I pulled the iso off the source disc, but I don't see a log for when I burned in build mode. If you want the iso burn to compare I have that too. I love the program, it's long past due cd/dvd burning had a robust an open source tool this easy to use and powerful at the same time. I hope this info is helpful.

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Friday, 10 April 2009, 16:16:21

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 16:11:19 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 16:11:19 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 16:11:19 Total Physical Memory: 2,043,428 KB - Available: 1,433,836 KB

I 16:11:19 Initialising SPTI...

I 16:11:19 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 16:11:19 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

That's a tiny disc, does it actually contain any real data?!

Yes. It's a short video, but it's a video none the less. It's recorded at a station where there is just a DVD player/recorder which is why it is in DVD Video format.

EDIT: It's about 1 minute 47 seven seconds of video at what looks to be about 320x240 resolution.

Edited by Lucas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.