Creating a Video CD

Acharn

OK, none of the guides address my problem, there's nothing in the FAQ, and, to my surprise, the search function didn't return anything useful. I don't have an imgburn log file to submit because I haven't been able to get that far.

I want to create a video CD that I can stick in my DVD player and watch on my TV set. A video CD holds about 700 MB and they are nice because they are much cheaper than DVDs. Back when I was able to use Nero, all I had to do was drag the video files I wanted to the appropriate area and Nero "encoded" the files, then told me how much space on the CD they would require. If the files needed too much space I could remove one or more and try again. Nero then wrote the appropriate folders to the CD with the needed files in each folder. On a standard video CD the files are in folders named CDI, EXT, MPEGAV, SEGMENT, and VCD. Merely burning .mpg, .avi, or .m4v files to the CD doesn't work.

How do I use imgburn to do this?

Yesterday I posted a question about using imgburn to burn video CDs that I can play in my DVD player attached to my TV set. Actually, I don't want to do this much -- I have a few videos of exercise routines I downloaded from the Pentagon Channel and I want to play them on my TV because there isn't enough room to move around in the room where I have my computer. Anyway, using Google (after I posted my query)I finally found posts on the imgburn forums explaining that you can't do this and the author isn't going to add this capability (why couldn't the imgburn forums search function find them?). Well, I don't blame him; VCD is not of interest to very many people any more, it's obsolete. But there is a work-around. There is a program called VCDEasy which "authors" the disk image you need; then you can use imgburn to copy the image to a CD and voila!! You have a CD you can stick in your DVD player and watch! Just point imgburn to the .cue file in the output directory.

One caveat: VCDEasy is now a commercial program (the price isn't all that much, but I'm retired from the Army and don't HAVE very much) but you can get version 1.1.5.2 at A+ Freeware Version 3 is available as a trial version. There are probably other programs out there that do the same thing, but this is the one I found first.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.