Test Mode Question

russ_palmeri

I'm getting many coasters!

I'd like to use the test mode, but when I check the Test Mode button, I get a message:

"Test Mode is not supported by the current media (DVD+R). Data WILL actually be written to the disc. Would you lke to continue anyway?"

I get the message with DVD+R and DVD+RW discs.

Is there some way to verify an ISO image before coaster creation? :blink:

I'm running windoz XP Home SP-2. My burner is a USB connected Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RWID2

Edited by russ_palmeri

The actual ability to burn (but not burn!) - i.e. test mode - is only supported by the DVD - (minus) format discs.

This isn't ImgBurn's limitation, it's just what the drives / media supports.

What do you mean by verifying the image? Corrupt or not, test mode would not fail unless there was a physical hardware fault. The actual content of the image doesn't even come into it.

The actual ability to burn (but not burn!) - i.e. test mode - is only supported by the DVD - (minus) format discs.

Okey dokey - I'm willing to look like an idiot in public. What instruction(s) is different on +R media/drives that won't allow test mode? Is it just a set of parameters in the firmware or is it the media? Why did they do this? Does this also apply to +R/DL or just +R? Inquiring minds wish to know. ;)

Dunno really guys, it's just one of those things where the DVD + format doesn't support it. I guess they saw it as pointless - which in all honesty, it is!

All it would basically be doing is testing to see if your machine could keep up with the speed - by you keeping an eye on buffers etc.

As burnproof cannot be disabled on +R format media, not being able to keep up isn't much of an issue.

Test mode doesn't test the drives ability to burn onto that media... it's still 100% possible for a burn to pass a test and then fail a real burn if shit media is used.

When I speak about DVD + format, I mean everything +.

So that's DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL and DVD+RW DL (when it comes out).

Not only that, but the command you send to a drive that contains the option for test mode (the 'write parameters' mode page) is supposed to be ignored by drives when DVD+ format media is present.

Test mode doesn't test the drives ability to burn onto that media... it's still 100% possible for a burn to pass a test and then fail a real burn if shit media is used.

I can vouch for this. I did this a while back with some (dare I say it) CMC's.

Perfect test runs, then, 20% into the actual burn, a perfect coaster.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.