ImgBurn Support Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Test Mode Question

Forum Rules

Read the Guides forum if you don't know how to do something. :readbook:
If you have a question or a problem, check the FAQ and use the Search to see if you can find the answer for yourself. :lightbulb:
If you're having trouble burning double layer media, read Here.
Still stuck? Create a new thread and describe your issue in detail.
Make sure you include a copy of the program's log in your post. No log = :chair:

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 russ_palmeri

russ_palmeri

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:57 PM

I'm getting many coasters!

I'd like to use the test mode, but when I check the Test Mode button, I get a message:

"Test Mode is not supported by the current media (DVD+R). Data WILL actually be written to the disc. Would you lke to continue anyway?"

I get the message with DVD+R and DVD+RW discs.

Is there some way to verify an ISO image before coaster creation? :blink:

I'm running windoz XP Home SP-2. My burner is a USB connected Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RWID2

Edited by russ_palmeri, 22 June 2006 - 01:07 PM.

#2 LIGHTNING UK!

LIGHTNING UK!

Author of ImgBurn

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,616 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:04 PM

The actual ability to burn (but not burn!) - i.e. test mode - is only supported by the DVD - (minus) format discs.

This isn't ImgBurn's limitation, it's just what the drives / media supports.

What do you mean by verifying the image? Corrupt or not, test mode would not fail unless there was a physical hardware fault. The actual content of the image doesn't even come into it.
Please don't PM me with questions that should be posted in the forum. I won't reply - Especially if you have post count of 0!!!

Replies to posts belong in the forum where everyone can read them. Please don't PM them.

In fact, don't PM me at all unless it's something I've asked to be told about!

Before asking questions, search the forum to see if someone else already has.

Use the FAQ and Guides forums to your advantage. I don't want to have to tell you to read them!

#3 Shamus_McFartfinger

Shamus_McFartfinger

Complete and utter Bastard

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Interests:Wombat whipping

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:46 PM

The actual ability to burn (but not burn!) - i.e. test mode - is only supported by the DVD - (minus) format discs.

Okey dokey - I'm willing to look like an idiot in public. What instruction(s) is different on +R media/drives that won't allow test mode? Is it just a set of parameters in the firmware or is it the media? Why did they do this? Does this also apply to +R/DL or just +R? Inquiring minds wish to know. ;)
Posted Image

This software has not been tested on animals and is certified dolphin free.

If you use this program regularly, consider buying the author a beer and click the link below.

Donate

#4 Movie Junkie

Movie Junkie

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:43 PM

You beat me to it Shamus. I was just going to ask some of the same questions.
ImgBurn...when only the best will do!

Donate...If you like ImgBurn then consider giving a donation to Lightning UK.

Using dual-layer media? Verbatim DVD+R DL (From Singapore) discs are the only way to go.

We cannot help you copy the dvds you have bought, borrowed, rented, downloaded or stolen.

Before posting about your problem Search to see if someone else has posted about it.

Are you new to this site? If so, be sure to read the FAQ and the Guides.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 LIGHTNING UK!

LIGHTNING UK!

Author of ImgBurn

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,616 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:28 PM

Dunno really guys, it's just one of those things where the DVD + format doesn't support it. I guess they saw it as pointless - which in all honesty, it is!

All it would basically be doing is testing to see if your machine could keep up with the speed - by you keeping an eye on buffers etc.

As burnproof cannot be disabled on +R format media, not being able to keep up isn't much of an issue.

Test mode doesn't test the drives ability to burn onto that media... it's still 100% possible for a burn to pass a test and then fail a real burn if shit media is used.

When I speak about DVD + format, I mean everything +.
So that's DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL and DVD+RW DL (when it comes out).

Not only that, but the command you send to a drive that contains the option for test mode (the 'write parameters' mode page) is supposed to be ignored by drives when DVD+ format media is present.
Please don't PM me with questions that should be posted in the forum. I won't reply - Especially if you have post count of 0!!!

Replies to posts belong in the forum where everyone can read them. Please don't PM them.

In fact, don't PM me at all unless it's something I've asked to be told about!

Before asking questions, search the forum to see if someone else already has.

Use the FAQ and Guides forums to your advantage. I don't want to have to tell you to read them!

#6 Kenadjian

Kenadjian

Duty First

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:52 PM

Test mode doesn't test the drives ability to burn onto that media... it's still 100% possible for a burn to pass a test and then fail a real burn if shit media is used.

I can vouch for this. I did this a while back with some (dare I say it) CMC's.
Perfect test runs, then, 20% into the actual burn, a perfect coaster.

#7 Shamus_McFartfinger

Shamus_McFartfinger

Complete and utter Bastard

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Interests:Wombat whipping

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:48 PM

Thanks Lightning. :thumbup:
Posted Image

This software has not been tested on animals and is certified dolphin free.

If you use this program regularly, consider buying the author a beer and click the link below.

Donate

#8 russ_palmeri

russ_palmeri

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:38 PM

Thanks, guys!
I really enjoy using ImgBurn. I just downloaded a DVD file from a Star Trek fan site (they are making new episodes!) and am burning it now.

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/1024/home.php

Russ P.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users