ImgBurn Support Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Device not ready (Incompatible medium Installed

Forum Rules

Read the Guides forum if you don't know how to do something. :readbook:
If you have a question or a problem, check the FAQ and use the Search to see if you can find the answer for yourself. :lightbulb:
If you're having trouble burning double layer media, read Here.
Still stuck? Create a new thread and describe your issue in detail.
Make sure you include a copy of the program's log in your post. No log = :chair:

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DVDer

DVDer

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:09 PM

I have been using the program and not having any problems and all of the sudden it will not work and it says

Device not ready ( Incompatible medium Installed)

I have not done anything different and using the same DVD-R that I have every time. Can anyone help me out with this.

Thank you

#2 LIGHTNING UK!

LIGHTNING UK!

Author of ImgBurn

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,352 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:19 PM

Nothing we can do really I'm afraid.

If the drive won't initialise the media then you're stuck.

Although you say you're using the same media as always, did you just switch to a new spindle? Even same brand/style/look discs can have different dye types and it's the dye that's important, not whose name is stamped on them.

So the normal problem solving methods apply here:

1. Update your drives firmware
2. Try different discs (with different 'better' dye) - i.e. MCC (verbatim) or Taiyo Yuden.
3. Clean drive's laser
4. Get new drive
Please don't PM me with questions that should be posted in the forum. I won't reply - Especially if you have post count of 0!!!

Replies to posts belong in the forum where everyone can read them. Please don't PM them.

In fact, don't PM me at all unless it's something I've asked to be told about!

Before asking questions, search the forum to see if someone else already has.

Use the FAQ and Guides forums to your advantage. I don't want to have to tell you to read them!

#3 Gim

Gim

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:17 PM

This just happened to me with discs i use a lot and i already just burned two beforehand. The difference with this one wss that it was a single 4Gb file I was burning so it went as iso/udf. I think there is a bug somewhere..

#4 volvofl10

volvofl10

LIVE from Italia...ciao bella, Forza Ferrari

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:19 PM

Device not ready ( Incompatible medium Installed)

This just happened to me with discs i use a lot and i already just burned two beforehand. The difference with this one wss that it was a single 4Gb file I was burning so it went as iso/udf. I think there is a bug somewhere..

Incompatable medium installed means exactly what it says im afraid. the dvd drive does not recognise the media . its NOT a bug , its your drive cant see the media ( disc) youve put in it.

regardless of wether it was a single 4gb file or not, the dvd drive decided it couldnt see/didnt like the discs before it got as far as trying to write anything. if ImgBurn cant see a drive with a suitable disc, it wont do any more of the events in the burning chain .

refer back to LIGHTNING_UK's post above and follow the process of elimination . usually its because youve found some faulty discs in the batch/spindle of discs you have , hence we only recomend genuine Verbatim or Taiyo yuden discs ( not all discs on the market do what it says on the case :thumbup:

once you get past the "Incompatible medium Installed" message , copy and paste the info from the log file into here for us to see
Dont be a cheapskate and buy poor quality media ,

FOR Dual layer discs use genuine Verbatims and nothing else , read this thread by LUK to see why Verbatim Dual layer DV9 thread

FOR Single layer DV5 use genuine Taiyo Yuden media everytime , ONLY TY's and not some other brand with TY dye/ink

DONT ask how to copy protected discs
DONT ask who LIGHTNING_UK is .......we only know him as .................."The Stig"

#5 LIGHTNING UK!

LIGHTNING UK!

Author of ImgBurn

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,352 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:46 PM

Gim,

Let me explain how things work....

1. ImgBurn issues a 'Test Unit Ready' command to the drive.
2. Drive responds 'Ready', or it it returns 'Not Ready' and gives and error code.
3a. If drive is 'Ready', ImgBurn goes ahead and tries to initialise the discs.
3b. If drive is 'Not Ready' ImgBurn puts 'Device Not Ready ([insert english translation of error code here])' in the status bar.

There is no room for error, either the drive says it's ready or it says it's not ready.
If it says it's not ready, NO software can do anything about it or access the media.

So your drive is having problems initialising the media, it's nothing at all to do with ImgBurn, it's simply reporting the error.

Eject the disc and reinsert it, it might work properly the second time around.
Please don't PM me with questions that should be posted in the forum. I won't reply - Especially if you have post count of 0!!!

Replies to posts belong in the forum where everyone can read them. Please don't PM them.

Use the FAQ and Guides forums to your advantage. I don't want to have to tell you to read them!

#6 Gim

Gim

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:42 PM

AAAh ok thank you so much for such a fast response and erm...Lightning UK I love your software mate :)
Though I wish you still did DVD Decrypter but I am sure that's not the first time you've heard that so ignore that comment ;)
I suppose it could just be a bad disc. I am going to try a few different things, including using imgburn to try again. Might also try nero or some other program.
I recentely installed (against my better judgement!) ashampoo burning studio 2007 as it was a full freebie on a magazine cover.
Every disc I burned in it failed its own verification. yet I then went to imgburn and then nero and both burned well as usual.
Well I uninstalled it earlier today.
Now I get this problem for the first time. coincidence?
Probably as it is a hardware issue it seems.
Mind you I don't think I have even rebooted since that uninstall which is most likely not the best way of going about things.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers.

#7 cornholio7

cornholio7

ISF Holio

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Interests:Canon dslr's, computers

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:56 PM

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s=&...dpost&p=975
try and read the above link and see what filters you have , it may help

#8 BossC

BossC

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:03 PM

Gim,

2. Drive responds 'Ready', or it it returns 'Not Ready' and gives and error code.
3b. If drive is 'Not Ready' ImgBurn puts 'Device Not Ready ([insert english translation of error code here])' in the status bar.

There is no room for error, either the drive says it's ready or it says it's not ready.
If it says it's not ready, NO software can do anything about it or access the media.

So your drive is having problems initialising the media, it's nothing at all to do with ImgBurn, it's simply reporting the error.

To mess with that answer...

I have recently developed a problem where Dvd Decrypter (and Imgburn - tho' I still prefer DD) will write a disk, eject it and THEN throw up the "Incompatible media" error. When Decrypter does it, I eject the disk and swap it to another drive and verify it with IB, the only time one failed to verify is when some "dumbass" (yeah, me!) tried to verify using the wrong image.

How can the medium be valid for writing but incompatible for reading and yet readable in a dvdrom (surely a lesser laser!?!)?

Thoughts?

Edited by BossC, 07 December 2006 - 11:05 PM.

#9 zacoz

zacoz

ISF Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:45 PM

Crap Media comes to mind :stinker:
Cheers............ZacOz
Posted Image
Got a problem, then please post the log (Help --> ImgBurn Logs...). It's got lots of really important info in it - fancy that.
Please, Please, Please use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden discs - it'll save you heaps of problems.
Get the good oil on the media to buy - straight from The Man himself.
Yes we normally don't like reading instructions either, but the GUIDES are REALLY GOOD and have lots of helpful pictures if words frighten you.
And finally, just in case you've been living under a rock, we don't discuss pirated content, DVDDecrypter, or copying protected discs (whether legal in your country or not) - and we may respond sarcastically if you try it.

#10 LIGHTNING UK!

LIGHTNING UK!

Author of ImgBurn

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,352 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:23 AM

Yeah crap media and crap burns.

A lot of drives that burn to shite media will then fail to read it back during the verify.

That's one of the reasons I make ImgBurn cycle the tray after a write and before a verify - to catch problems like that.

#11 lfcrule1972

lfcrule1972

Liv 1 v 0 ManUre

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,180 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:01 AM

My vote is for crap media too !! Anyone else :P ? Of course a log would settle the media debate.....

Posted Image

For the ImgBurn Drives & Media reviews click here. Having trouble burning your dual layer discs ? Then check this out ! Want to interpret your disc scans ? Click here to read Corny's guide

Check out www.nomorecoasters.com or www.videohelp.com for media dye review. Check out SVP Communications for great deals on blank disc media. . To update your drives firmware check out www.rpc1.org . For an easy to follow guide for firmware updates click here for Shamus' guide. . For a guide to burning Dual Layer Disks with PgcEdit click here for blutach's guide.

#12 Kenadjian

Kenadjian

Duty First

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:35 PM

My vote is for crap media too !! Anyone else :P ? Of course a log would settle the media debate.....

Without any bloody doubt whatsoever. :D

#13 Gim

Gim

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:39 PM

Hmm I don't have the logfile any more but in my original complaint/post I posted it and it was verbatim media so erm...that seems to be recommended all over here?
Anyway it happened once more then I used nero and it worked ok.
I just used imgburn to do a simple iso burn and it worked great as usual though! :)

#14 LIGHTNING UK!

LIGHTNING UK!

Author of ImgBurn

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,352 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:58 PM

All burns in ImgBurn use the exact same burning code. To say build mode didn't work but then write mode is fine, it's just total fluke.

The errors come from the drive (as mentioned earlier), not the program. The program just displays them.

Nero might be using the 'Incremental' write type rather than DAO/SAO. If your burner prefers that, change the 'Write Type' option in ImgBurn's settings.

#15 BossC

BossC

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:09 AM

Gim,

To mess with that answer...

I have recently developed a problem where Dvd Decrypter (and Imgburn - tho' I still prefer DD) will write a disk, eject it and THEN throw up the "Incompatible media" error. When Decrypter does it, I eject the disk and swap it to another drive and verify it with IB, the only time one failed to verify is when some "dumbass" (yeah, me!) tried to verify using the wrong image.

How can the medium be valid for writing but incompatible for reading and yet readable in a dvdrom (surely a lesser laser!?!)?

Thoughts?

I was a bit p*ssed off by the glib "crap media" responses and went away to carry on writing my discs without your "help" since then, I am using the same media and am getting the same error within a particular spindle. I am still confused how the writer can fail to read a disc it has written, which is then verified by the same program in a different drive and plays in any standalone machine? I never had this prob. before IB was installed but like the separate Verify option and Build.

Any HELPFUL thoughts?

#16 cornholio7

cornholio7

ISF Holio

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Interests:Canon dslr's, computers

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:35 PM

help us to see whats going on by posting a log please

#17 dontasciime

dontasciime

Mood : Forgetfu

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:39 PM

[1ST] Stop whining about something you don't like the answer to and [2ND] take your hands away from your ears.

Imgburn is not at fault for your disc's not working, if you cannot believe this and your thoughts cannot progress past this point then your on your own.

#18 polopony

polopony

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:46 PM

FYI

IMGburn automatically saves the logs in case you dont have it go to Help --->IMGburn logs ,then copy and paste

#19 lfcrule1972

lfcrule1972

Liv 1 v 0 ManUre

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,180 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:10 PM

Honestly 99.9%* of such errors are the media, but please post a log so we can try and help you.

(* Please note that 99% of statistics are made up =)) )

Posted Image

For the ImgBurn Drives & Media reviews click here. Having trouble burning your dual layer discs ? Then check this out ! Want to interpret your disc scans ? Click here to read Corny's guide

Check out www.nomorecoasters.com or www.videohelp.com for media dye review. Check out SVP Communications for great deals on blank disc media. . To update your drives firmware check out www.rpc1.org . For an easy to follow guide for firmware updates click here for Shamus' guide. . For a guide to burning Dual Layer Disks with PgcEdit click here for blutach's guide.

#20 Movie Junkie

Movie Junkie

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

I was a bit p*ssed off by the glib "crap media" responses and went away to carry on writing my discs without your "help" since then, I am using the same media and am getting the same error within a particular spindle. I am still confused how the writer can fail to read a disc it has written, which is then verified by the same program in a different drive and plays in any standalone machine? I never had this prob. before IB was installed but like the separate Verify option and Build.

Any HELPFUL thoughts?

I'm a bit p*ssed off by what you've said.

Telling you that crap media can cause the problem is being helpful.

Most of the people that come here for help listen to what is being said and most of the time the problem is resolved by the regulars here. Why is it that there are always a few people who come here for help and then they dismiss the answers without trying them? To those people I say;

IF YOU KNOW SO MUCH WHY DID YOU COME HERE TO GET YOUR PROBLEM FIXED? WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF???

The regulars here aren't just pulling answers out of their Posted Image They've been doing this long enough to be able to help MANY people. Please remember that no one here has any obligation to help anybody. They are doing it because they genuinely want to help. None of them get anything back except the satisfaction of being able to help somebody solve thier problem.

You want a HELPFUL thought so here it is;

If you can work with being able to accept the answers, and try them, then great. All of us here are willing to help you. If you just want to complain that you didn't get the answer that you expected to get, then please go away. That will leave more time for the people that really want, and appreciate the help they are getting.

Edited by Movie Junkie, 24 December 2006 - 04:51 PM.

ImgBurn...when only the best will do!

Donate...If you like ImgBurn then consider giving a donation to Lightning UK.

Using dual-layer media? Verbatim DVD+R DL (From Singapore) discs are the only way to go.

We cannot help you copy the dvds you have bought, borrowed, rented, downloaded or stolen.

Before posting about your problem Search to see if someone else has posted about it.

Are you new to this site? If so, be sure to read the FAQ and the Guides.

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users