ImgBurn Support Forum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Does ImgBurn contain spyware/malware?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DSN-Owner

DSN-Owner

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

I'm sitting here wondering whether ImgBurn has any back doors or "check-in" features that talk out to the internet. I hear lots of good things about this program. Sadly, a LOT of wares out there come with some type of spyware/malware. Also, spyware/malware may be added into the app by the mirrors hosting it, so I'm reluctant to put it on my network. I'm installing it today on my DMZ with a spy monitor to watch it. Anyone wanna weigh-in on this subject? Is this program "clean"?
DSN
:ninja:

#2 cornholio7

cornholio7

ISF Holio

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts
  • Interests:Canon dslr's, computers

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:47 PM

yep its clean.
don't take our word for it , these people say so too http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/...g/ImgBurn.shtml

if you have 'check for updates' set imgburn WILL ping google and microsoft, but that has been discussed before here :)

#3 polopony

polopony

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:16 AM

not only clean but V2 is virginal :wub: :lol:

#4 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:22 AM

Well, there are the mind altering subroutines that make you want celery, corn, wombats with Tweety waterwings to engage with necrophagic sex with mice... :unsure:

#5 LIGHTNING UK!

LIGHTNING UK!

Author of ImgBurn

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,557 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:05 AM

I'm actually quite offended by this thread!

Of course it doesn't contain spyware/malware....what kind of arsehole do you think I am?! :P
Please don't PM me with questions that should be posted in the forum. I won't reply - Especially if you have post count of 0!!!

Replies to posts belong in the forum where everyone can read them. Please don't PM them.

In fact, don't PM me at all unless it's something I've asked to be told about!

Before asking questions, search the forum to see if someone else already has.

Use the FAQ and Guides forums to your advantage. I don't want to have to tell you to read them!

#6 A_T

A_T

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:31 AM

I suppose it's not impossible that someone out there will package ImgBurn 2 with some malware in a custom installer. :angry:

#7 dbminter

dbminter

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:45 AM

Of course it doesn't contain spyware/malware....what kind of arsehole do you think I am?! :P

Oh, no. Never, never leave yourself open like that. :lol:

#8 kevdriver

kevdriver

Six - Speed Commotion

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  • Interests:Modding Hondas and Speed. And Barb..........

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:52 AM

I suppose it's not impossible that someone out there will package ImgBurn 2 with some malware in a custom installer. :angry:

A_T, This is why people should always download Imgburn from this site. The arthor has never and will never include anything in his program but the main program itself. NO SPYWARE/MALWARE or NO VIRUS of any kind EVER. :thumbup:

I for one always get programs from their original sites when possible. :)

Read the FAQ before posting

Read the Drives and Media Guide for media choices

Read the Guides by Cornholio7 for proper user instructions.

Verbatim DVD+R DL recommended for proper dual layer burning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samsung SH-W162Z Pioneer DVR-111 Benq DVD DW1640 LG DVDRAM GSA 4163B Pioneer DVR-212D LG-HL-DT-ST-BD-RE GGW-H20L

imgburn is simply the best burner program period

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please consider DONATING a buck or two to help continue the improving of this excellent program, Imgburn Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01001001011011010110011101100010011101010111001001101110001011000010000001010100
11010000110010101110010011001010010011101110011001000000110111001101111011101000
10100001101001011011100110011100100000010000100110010101110100011101000110010101

#9 Movie Junkie

Movie Junkie

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:56 PM

Well, there are the mind altering subroutines that make you want celery, corn, wombats with Tweety waterwings to engage with necrophagic sex with mice... :unsure:

But, as you can attest to, no dogs are involved. Woof! :D
ImgBurn...when only the best will do!

Donate...If you like ImgBurn then consider giving a donation to Lightning UK.

Using dual-layer media? Verbatim DVD+R DL (From Singapore) discs are the only way to go.

We cannot help you copy the dvds you have bought, borrowed, rented, downloaded or stolen.

Before posting about your problem Search to see if someone else has posted about it.

Are you new to this site? If so, be sure to read the FAQ and the Guides.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 volvofl10

volvofl10

LIVE from Italia...ciao bella, Forza Ferrari

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

Mj your BARKING m mad :lol:
Dont be a cheapskate and buy poor quality media ,

FOR Dual layer discs use genuine Verbatims and nothing else , read this thread by LUK to see why Verbatim Dual layer DV9 thread

FOR Single layer DV5 use genuine Taiyo Yuden media everytime , ONLY TY's and not some other brand with TY dye/ink

DONT ask how to copy protected discs
DONT ask who LIGHTNING_UK is .......we only know him as .................."The Stig"

#11 volvofl10

volvofl10

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

I'm sitting here wondering whether ImgBurn has any back doors or "check-in" features that talk out to the internet. I hear lots of good things about this program. Sadly, a LOT of wares out there come with some type of spyware/malware. Also, spyware/malware may be added into the app by the mirrors hosting it, so I'm reluctant to put it on my network. I'm installing it today on my DMZ with a spy monitor to watch it. Anyone wanna weigh-in on this subject? Is this program "clean"?
DSN
:ninja:

despite assurances from regular members here, and offending the author at the same time , i have to admit i was suprised to see such a question on a MAIN support forum for a program .

i think your best bet is to stick with some other lesser burning software if you have any doubt :)

FOR Dual layer discs use genuine Verbatims and nothing else , read this thread by LUK to see why Verbatim Dual layer DV9 thread

FOR Single layer DV5 use genuine Taiyo Yuden media everytime , ONLY TY's and not some other brand with TY dye/ink

DONT ask who LIGHTNING_UK is .......we only know him as .................."The Stig"

#12 Shamus_McFartfinger

Shamus_McFartfinger

Complete and utter Bastard

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Interests:Wombat whipping

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:38 PM

Possible but unlikely from a reputable site. I could always host it on my webspace if there's a demand for it.
Posted Image

This software has not been tested on animals and is certified dolphin free.

If you use this program regularly, consider buying the author a beer and click the link below.

Donate

#13 Movie Junkie

Movie Junkie

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

Mj your BARKING m mad :lol:

:whistling: :P :thumbup:

Using dual-layer media? Verbatim DVD+R DL (From Singapore) discs are the only way to go.

We cannot help you copy the dvds you have bought, borrowed, rented, downloaded or stolen.

Before posting about your problem Search to see if someone else has posted about it.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Mr_Fixer

Mr_Fixer

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

I'm sitting here wondering whether ImgBurn has any back doors or "check-in" features that talk out to the internet. :ninja:

Damn, I have heard it all now! :faint:

#15 lfcrule1972

lfcrule1972

Liv 1 v 0 ManUre

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,180 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

But, as you can attest to, no dogs are involved. Woof! :D

I am pleased to confirm that even that is no longer the case !!!

Posted Image

From this post:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=21793

Posted Image

For the ImgBurn Drives & Media reviews click here. Having trouble burning your dual layer discs ? Then check this out ! Want to interpret your disc scans ? Click here to read Corny's guide

Check out www.nomorecoasters.com or www.videohelp.com for media dye review. Check out SVP Communications for great deals on blank disc media. . To update your drives firmware check out www.rpc1.org . For an easy to follow guide for firmware updates click here for Shamus' guide. . For a guide to burning Dual Layer Disks with PgcEdit click here for blutach's guide.

#16 the olde

the olde

ISF Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Getting the other foot in

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:28 AM

Don't blame you for being offended, what a stupid thing to ask!! :angry:
THE OLDE

#17 lmao2k

lmao2k

The Original One

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:Taking over the world and gardening

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:51 AM

pinkblnkr.gif inspector.gif
The author of this post does not in anyway, shape or form endorse any activities, that could be deemed illegal/unlawful in any part of the world, that he/she may suggest/hint/divulge or talk about in anyway shape or form within this post/thread/forum. If you do not agree please leave now.

#18 XrX ca

XrX ca

ISF Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:35 PM

Don't blame you for being offended, what a stupid thing to ask!! :angry:

Offended makes sense, however these days it is far from a stupid question, there are enough... how shall I put this... Total :swear: loser :swear: :swear: wannabe :swear:'s out there creating pointless, useless garbage programs loaded with spyware etc. that one has to be carefull. Unfortunately this occasionally includes supposedly reputable companies :greedy:.

The softpedia award image is on the home page, however I've seen at least one program with that on their page that when clicked on took you to a lookalike site that tried to install spyware. Reported them to softpedia :zorro: and they seem to be gone now, but one never knows do one.

Of course without all that spyware, where would the techs be getting the beer money they get now for charging to clean off user* systems. :beer:

* user (noun) usually offensive : a person affected with idiocy, often used as an explicative after hanging up the phone. Or reading a post...

#19 volvofl10

volvofl10

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:27 AM

i admit, i did ask LUK to put webcam spyware in Ib , so i could watch all the women members getting undressed ready for bed, sadly my probation officer read my post and i was unable to download the latest version from the -5* hotel they put me up in .
worse was still to come after i got out, it turned out LUK DIDNT follow my suggestion after all :lol:

seriously, a simple run of spybot,adaware and otehr similar progs will reveal that theres no spyware.
its an open fact that the program will try to find google and 2 other servers( cant remember which now) to see if theres a connection when the "check for updates" box is checked, otherwise, its squeeky cleen :thumbup:

#20 Movie Junkie

Movie Junkie

ISF God

• Beta Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:46 AM

i admit, i did ask LUK to put webcam spyware in Ib , so i could watch all the women members getting undressed ready for bed, sadly my probation officer read my post and i was unable to download the latest version from the -5* hotel they put me up in .

According to blu the webcam spyware is going to be in 2.1. That's why he's so bent on it's release. :w00t: :w00t:

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users