miscompares

dazzzdelux

It looks like your drive is returning lots of empty sectors when reading the disc back.

It's impossible to say if it's a problem with the disc itself or the drive at this point, you'd have to verify the disc in another drive and see if it works ok in that one. Even trying the disc in that same drive would probably do - just to see if it produces the same errors in exactly the same places.

also it turned out this disc didn't play perfectly , it stuttered for about a minute half way through but then continued OK .

also , a quick question . I was told that if you burn as slow a speed as possible ( x2 as I do ) you are more likely to get a good burn . is that true?

I'm desperate to know what's going wrong as 50gb discs aren't cheap

The image should come out the same both times.

Your drive is still returning empty sectors (probably for an entire 32 sector ECC block) when reading.

No, writing slower doesn't always produce the best results. You'd have to burn a disc at each speed and then do a disc quality test on each one to see which speed produced the highest quality burn.

Try getting the VERBAT-IMb-000 (2x) or VERBAT-IMf-000 (6x) discs instead of the VERBAT-IMd-000 (4x) ones you have now.

The alternative would be to try a different drive... maybe a Pioneer BDR-206DBK or a LiteOn iHBS112. The iHBS112 can do the disc quality scans with 'Opti Drive Control'.

i only got my drive for xmas lol that would be my luck if its crap.

if i buy and try this disc first http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blu-Ray-Bluray-Blu-Ray-BD-RE-BD-RE-RW-2X-50GB-50-GB-DL-Verbatim-UK-/140670866528?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_BlankCDsDVDs&hash=item20c0a31460#ht_819wt_1396

could my drive be classed as faulty? surely if it cant do its main function i could get a refund from pc world?

It's only a Verbatim disc if it uses the actual Verbatim MID/dye.

Proper Verbatim BD-RE DL discs are still quite new to the market. Lots of ebay sellers say their BD-RE DL discs are Verbatim ones when they actually have a totally different MID/dye.

So before you buy it, ask the seller to provide that info.

You probably shouldn't rely on the results from a BD-RE disc, they're just not as reliable as BD-R discs. Try and get the 2x or 6x Verbatims as I mentioned earlier.

Had you tried 2x on the 4x 'VERBAT-IMd-000' discs?

Without trying multiple spindles of the same discs (same MID/dye) at all supported speeds, it's hard to pin point the problem.

With the 'VERBAT-IMf-000' working ok, that should mean it's not a general drive fault.

I've seen a few BH10LS30 drives fail with 'VERBAT-IMd-000' discs. Changing speeds or a future firmware update will hopefully fix the issue.

Ok thanks.

Will they still do firmware updates now they don't do the drive anymore ?

Ive got 6 4x discs left so i'll try them at a different speed every time 1 goes bad . I'll keep a log on this thread if that's ok , it might help people with similar problems in the future .

I suppose I'll keep an eye out for some cheap printable verbatim 6x dl too

Had you tried 2x on the 4x 'VERBAT-IMd-000' discs?

Without trying multiple spindles of the same discs (same MID/dye) at all supported speeds, it's hard to pin point the problem.

With the 'VERBAT-IMf-000' working ok, that should mean it's not a general drive fault.

I've seen a few BH10LS30 drives fail with 'VERBAT-IMd-000' discs. Changing speeds or a future firmware update will hopefully fix the issue.

No I haven't tried the .ISO on another 4x disc . Do you think I should ?

is the f in 'VERBAT-IMf-000' just the code for a 6X disc and the d in 'VERBAT-IMd-000' 4X or does it mean something else?

Edited by dazzzdelux

Sorry, I thought you'd been burning the 4x discs at 4x but it appears (from your initial log) that you've been using 2x.

You should try burning them at all of the supported speeds. There could be a firmware bug that produces low (lower) quality burns on them at 2x.

So give the 4x discs a go at 4x (and then 6x)

What you're burning (the ISO) isn't important. Data is data.

The 'f' and 'd' are what differentiate the 4x discs from the 6x discs. It could be anything though so long as the 2 complete strings are unique (against themselves and those used by other manufacturers on other discs).

Ok thanks , for all your help mate . It's very much appreciated , especially the speed in which you've replied ( I like getting things sorted and off my mind quick ) i'll update this thread with how I get on

BTW I did the 6x disc at 2x speed too

Edited by dazzzdelux

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.