ImgBurn DVD Sizes

Halio

why when i burn a DVD using ImgBurn the size of it changes?

before burning i get this window and i can see different sizes

imgburnug5.jpg

it works when i insert the disc it has a size of 3.8gb for example, and when i check the video_ts properties it has a size of 3.3gb for example, why?

PS: i already posted this on cdfreaks forum but this could help someone else and probably i would get a different answer there...

The difference (288 sectors = 589,284 bytes) is mostly filesystem overhead, plus a few other bits of information.

As for the other size difference, did you use a calculator and exact values? The difference seems too big.

the other disc i burned was a DL disk and when i inserted it, opened MY PC and placed the mouse over the DVD it showed a size of like 7.77 gb, but when i checked the video_ts folder it had a size of like 6.66 gb, same as the original disc, why?

i was able to select a layer break at 50/50% and other at like 65/35, i selected 50/50 because using logic i tought that the second layer should be at 50% of the disc or something, probably its not true but i selected 50/50, i would like to know more info about this if posible...

Usually 50/50 uses quite some padding, so that's why your disc is bigger than the original. If you've used the same layer break as the original disc, both would have the same size.

Filesystem overhead is a general term for the space that the filesystem itself uses for describing on which sector files start and end, properties of each files, amongst other things.

Padding is adding null sectors to the first layer so that you can hit a target layer break. ImgBurn's rating system takes into account all these parameters (an d others) when it suggests that certain layer breaks are better than others.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.