Book Type Change for the TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H D500 (ATA)

jazzytaxi

I've just bought a new Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H D500 (ATA) optical drive (I believe it is a Samsung). I've read on the forums that Samsung drives auto booktype. I tried to change the booktype using the samsung tab on the imgburn booktype feature, but it would say:

"Unknown (FAILED!)

Reason: Invalid Field in CDB"

I am using a pack of Verbatim DVD+R DL (MKM-001-00; Made In Singapore) that work perfectly with my desktop's Lite-On drive. The burn was successfully completed and the DVD plays on my laptop. However, this is what I get when I put the burned DVD back into the laptop drive:

"Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: MKM-001-00

Book Type: DVD+R DL"

I always get a book type of DVD-ROM with my desktop and I've seen other members of this forum that have TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H drives that booktype to DVD-ROM. I should add that, under the "Change Book Type" feature, I clicked on "Advanced" ("Configure Drive OEM") and entered "TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H D500" into the Drive ID area. I also updated my firmware to the most recent (D500) on the Dell site. What else can I do to change the booktype to DVD-ROM?

Please help and thank you in advance for your time.

This is the log of the burn:

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Monday, 18 August 2008, 07:18:44

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 05:50:09 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 05:50:09 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 05:50:09 Total Physical Memory: 3,134,780 KB - Available: 2,004,512 KB

I 05:50:10 Initialising SPTI...

I 05:50:10 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 05:50:10 Found 1 DVD

Ggggreeaaat. Thanks for the response! Anybody know if booktyping/bitsetting absolutely necessary? Is it just for the oldest of standalone DVD players? Should I burn DVD's exclusively on my desktop? What do you think? Also, what is crossflashing and do you suggest it? Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Edited by jazzytaxi

Unless one specifically needs the booktype to remain DVD+R DL, it's always a good idea to booktype to DVD-ROM, as these burned discs are compatible with a lot more devices, especially older ones. This is so true that on Pioneer burners, for example, the burner itself automatically booktypes DVD+R DL media to DVD-ROM.

If you can, stick to burning with your desktop computer, as burns on that drive (if it's not too old and has up-to-date firmware) are likely to be better quality than the ones made with your laptop burner, especially on dual-layer media.

Crossflashing is when you apply on your burner a firmware that was made for a different burner/model. In your case, your burner is manufactured by Samsung and uses Dell firmware. By crossflashing it to the equivalent Samsung model, you'd be using firmware made the burner's manufacturer themselves, which usually has better support and burn quality for most types of media. Crossflashing isn't a complete paradise though: it can easily render your drive completely inoperable and could even prevent your computer from starting when the crossflashed drive is connected. I would only advise doing it if your laptop burner was the only one you could use, if you needed it for an emergency or if you couldn't care less about losing the drive :)

• 1 month later...

I've been affected by Hurricane Ike (all of my stuff was submerged in 1.5 feet of water (including my desktop with book typing capability); thus, I want to crossflash my Dell drive. Can anybody instruct me on how to crossflash safely and in a way that will allow me to restore my drive to its original firmware if I desire? Please provide links if available. Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.