DVD IO Control Failed!

TheChunkyMunky

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help or i'm going to go mad!

I have 2 Sony NEC Optiarc DVD burners. The top one works fine but the bottom one is very tempermental.

It has locked up during burning and even playing discs can stop suddenly.

I do realise that this isn't IMGburns fault, but it's the only thing that gives me an error to work on.

I 09:40:18 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 09:40:18 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 09:40:18 Total Physical Memory: 3,144,016 KB - Available: 2,012,836 KB

I 09:40:18 Initialising SPTI...

I 09:40:18 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

E 09:40:18 DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY, StorageAdapterProperty) Failed! - Device: '\\.\CdRom0'

E 09:40:18 Reason: The system cannot find the file specified.

E 09:40:18 DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY, StorageDeviceProperty) Failed! - Device: '\\.\CdRom0'

E 09:40:18 Reason: The system cannot find the file specified.

I 09:41:02 Found 1 DVD

Delete the controller from the ide / ata / atapi branch within Device manager.

Make note of the name of the controller entry first though and let us know what it says - or get a screenshot.

You'll probably need either Intel or nvidia drivers as they're the most common chipsets in use these days.

Ok, Intel Chipset drivers can be found here:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/

Intel Matrix drivers can be found here: (but only apply if you're in AHCI or RAID modes - they won't do any hard, they just won't install)

http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/

The standard dual channel thing is probably a jmicron controller. Drivers for that can be found here:

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/Win2k_xp_Vista/

Sorry for not posting sooner, but been looking for the controller.

It looks like I don't have a jmicron controller (I ran setup on 1 of the drivers and it said No Jmicron JMB36x SCSI adapter found)

If I've read right, It's a microsoft controller (mshdc.inf)

Thank you to the people that helped me.

Jmicron is just the most common one, I was guessing really.

It could be marvel or silicon image too.

You have to look at the hardware identifier of the device and then you can lookup what it is via google by searching for the vendor and device id codes.

To do that, bring up properties on the device, switch to the details tab and select 'hardware ids' in the drop down list.

I managed to match the controller. Turns out it is a JMicron.

I found the the right file in the RAR folder. (I matched the Device Class GUID to the one already installed)

Deleted the Controllers and restarted...and it auto installed! Didn't need to use what I got.

I ran a few tests, it ran alright for about 40 minutes, then died.

Another 30 minutes of trying to fix it (Including the Drive not even working >_< ), I installed the JMicron

over the Preconfigured one. Drives have changed letters and everything seems OK. Will monitor it.

Just a big thank you to everyone that help (Especially you Lightning)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.