Nothing works. Can not get to burn.

asherz

I just bought a philips dvd8631 burner, and we downloaded a bunch of videos from Graboid that we need off the hard drive.

I have tried both convertxtodvd and imgburn and I can not get a movie out of either of these. >_<

The burner is both +R and -R media and I have tried to use both with no good end solution. I have tried three brands. TDK, Philips, and Fujifilm. Nothing.

In img burn it says that it was successful, but when I try to load it in the DVD player it says Disc Error. Other people have burnt us DVD's and they work in our TV's DVD player with no issues.

I have already tried to download the most recent firmware and it said when I installed it that it was not needed. I am very frustrated and do not know what to try any more. Help please? Thanks in advance.

first thing first,

Run IMGBURN

got to -> MODE -> WRITE

then go to -> TOOLS -> DRIVE -> CAPABILITIES

now post a screenshot in here... should look like this

2wcqt87.png

Philips DVD8631 is actually a BenQ 1620 OEM.

It seems that there was a bad batch made and ended up in many Dell systems.

Maybe thats your case if you have a DELL system...

You have a few options to attempt to fix your problem.

You could try flashing with the latest firmware available.

If its a Dell, you could call and complain and they will send you a new drive...ask for an NEC

You could try to crossflash your drive to a BenQ 1620 and use the latest BenQ firmware.

This will void any warranty tho, so do this only if you have exhausted all other avenues of resolution.

Edited by eSkRo

first thing first,

Run IMGBURN

got to -> MODE -> WRITE

then go to -> TOOLS -> DRIVE -> CAPABILITIES

now post a screenshot in here... should look like this

2wcqt87.png

Philips DVD8631 is actually a BenQ 1620 OEM.

It seems that there was a bad batch made and ended up in many Dell systems.

Maybe thats your case if you have a DELL system...

You have a few options to attempt to fix your problem.

You could try flashing with the latest firmware available.

If its a Dell, you could call and complain and they will send you a new drive...ask for an NEC

You could try to crossflash your drive to a BenQ 1620 and use the latest BenQ firmware.

This will void any warranty tho, so do this only if you have exhausted all other avenues of resolution.

Ok, well, I don't know what crossflashing is. I already downloaded the firmware for this drive, but it said I did not need it when i tried to install it.

here is the screenshot you asked for:

87273277.png

Also I can not call and complain to Dell, this computer is refurbished not new, it works great though we bought the drive separately at a electronic store here.

Thanks for any more help in advance.

I just bought a philips dvd8631 burner, and we downloaded a bunch of videos from Graboid that we need off the hard drive.

I have tried both convertxtodvd and imgburn and I can not get a movie out of either of these. >_<

The burner is both +R and -R media and I have tried to use both with no good end solution. I have tried three brands. TDK, Philips, and Fujifilm. Nothing.

In img burn it says that it was successful, but when I try to load it in the DVD player it says Disc Error. Other people have burnt us DVD's and they work in our TV's DVD player with no issues.

I have already tried to download the most recent firmware and it said when I installed it that it was not needed. I am very frustrated and do not know what to try any more. Help please? Thanks in advance.

What are the source files? You have converted them into what? Is it a proper DVD format? Could you also post a log from your burn session?

To crossflash the drive, which i suggest by the way,

Get Quikee's BQFlasher -> http://redirectingat.com/?id=49X85&url...m/BQFlasher.zip

Get the BQFirware -> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q25WTCUW

and load in the BQFirware (B7W9.exe)

into Quikee's BQFlasher (BQFlasher.exe)

once flashed, reboot

Okay, well, I downloaded both of those.

I unzipped and tried to run the BQflasher and got this message:

22710796.png

I just tried to burn another DVD and it almost worked. But not quite.

I put the DVD in the player and It started to play, about 3 seconds into it, it turned off and said "disc error"

Anything else to try?

here was the log from the one that almost worked:

I 14:26:41 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 14:26:41 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 14:26:41 Total Physical Memory: 1,047,564 KB - Available: 558,124 KB

I 14:26:41 Initialising SPTI...

I 14:26:42 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 14:26:42 Found 1 DVD

What are the source files? You have converted them into what? Is it a proper DVD format? Could you also post a log from your burn session?

Oh yeah, the format they are being converted to .vob files. in the Video_TS file

Edited by asherz

I 14:26:41 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

Update ImgBurn to the latest version.

I 14:32:02 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AM3) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 8x)

I 14:32:02 Write Speed: MAX

Try burning at 4x instead of MAX to see if you get a better burn out of the low quality media you're using. If it doesn't work then try with Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden blanks.

22710796.png

Oh...

you'll need to get this "wnaspi32.dll" file -> http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/pop.php?wnaspi32

and put it

in the same folder as "BQFlasher.exe"

before running it....

or else,

you'll always receive that error message....

sorry

Keep me updated!

:)

I downloaded it and put it in the same folder now I get these two screens before getting to the application:

63025706.png

Followed by:

84048250.png

Then when the application starts there is nothing in the drive field and there is nothing in the drop down box.

??

Oh yeah, the format they are being converted to .vob files. in the Video_TS file

I see. Well, I'd suspect that there are some compatibility issues between the burned discs and the standalone player used for playing them. Some models don't like the discs booktyped anything but DVD-ROM, for instance. Have you tried to play the disc on your computer? on another standalone?

I see. Well, I'd suspect that there are some compatibility issues between the burned discs and the standalone player used for playing them. Some models don't like the discs booktyped anything but DVD-ROM, for instance. Have you tried to play the disc on your computer? on another standalone?

I have other +R's and -R's that work fine in the standalone. I have not tried them in another standalone. I only have one standalone at the time. It boots up on the computer just fine and plays through Power DVD.

All this cross flashing bullshit has little to do with the issue - he is using some of the crappiest media around.

Get better blanks!!!! Use Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim only.

As well, your PC is being overused while burning (the buffers need to recover). This is not good practice, especially with shitty media.

And upgrade ImgBurn like mmalves says.

Regards

Well, it is. He needs to update the prog and getter better media. Trying to burn on CMCs is just a waste of time. THAT is the primary issue here, not whether the drive should be crossflashed.

Regards

I googled around using his specific Drive Brand

and alot of people had issues and fixed those by CrossFlashing....

Many people on Afterdwan and club cd freaks....

im just reporting what ive read in there and try to help him...

I agree tho that he must also use the latest IMGBURN....

Edited by eSkRo

What I would give for opinions on cdfreaks and afterdawn wouldn't amount to much, especially if they are not figuring out the primary issue - that is, he has shithouse media - get better blanks.

And gee, thanks for agreeing that he must use the latest version.

Regards

Yeah - maybe a few of them work. DUDE. But, if he changes to Taiyo Yuden or Verbatims, and assuming the drive is OK, almost all of them will work. It's the difference between a hit and miss approach and peace of mind that a burn will work.

We go thru this every now and then with nebies and wannabees. The number 1 rule here is USE GOOD MEDIA..

Now, stop arguing and get with the program. I can see that you wanna help. But trying to help a guy by ignoring the primary issue is not helping at all.

Regards

Crossflashing can brick (technical term :D ) the drive if something goes wrong, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but as a last resort. In this user's case, trying with better media is the easier option. Not to mention that crossflashing his "newly" bought drive voids the warranty, if there is any.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.