Running Multiple Instances of ImgBurn (or DVDD)

ROBAK

Not really a support issue I guess, but I have been experimenting with running multiple instances of ImgBurn simultaneously, with different drives of course. Is there any risk, out of the ordinary here? Other than having enough raw CPU power to run 3 burners at once.

I also have been reading images with multiple instances of DVDD running, seemingly without and problem, images are all created fine, with exception of the read speed locking in at whatever drive is reading the lowest rate. Limitation of my IDE channel??

Anyway, not to harp on, but what's your take on this? Anybody else running multiple instances?

Edited by ROBAK

i have tried this several times.

lets just say that the best scenario is 3 hdd 2 instances of imgburn.

hdd1 =windows o/s

hdd2 = iso image1

hdd3 = iso image 2

this set up gives no buffer issues and works just fine and if you use the queue feature you could have lots of fun

There is no problem with doing this, but it works best if all devices are on their own channels.

Reading from/sending to devices on the same channel will give much lower performanace.

So the best setup would be something like.

Hdd 1 - SATA

Hdd 2 - SATA

DVDRW 1 - IDE 1 - Master/Slave

DVDRW 2 - IDE 2 - Master/Slave.

The Sata Hdd's could of course be scsi.... basically just anything other than on the IDE ports with the dvd drives.

With that combo you'll get full speed from both programs (or at least you should do ;) )

That brings up a question I've wondered about. Would there be a problem having two versions of "the program" on the computer (each in it's own folder) at the same time but not running at the same time. I'm not saying I'm going to do this but I am curious if it would cause any conflict.

I can?t see why you?d want to. Running 2 or more copies works well enough but I don?t see why you?d need two versions ?installed? to different folders. Besides, even if you did manage to install 2 copies of the program, both are going to use the same registry key for your settings. Care to elaborate? :)

I can?t see why you?d want to. Running 2 or more copies works well enough but I don?t see why you?d need two versions ?installed? to different folders. Besides, even if you did manage to install 2 copies of the program, both are going to use the same registry key for your settings. Care to elaborate? :)
Thanks for the answer Shamus. I was really just curious. I am running 2 copies of a password program. One copy I modified to open a different password file. I've never had a problem but, as I said, I was curious.

Indeed, there is no conflict between two copies of app, but as shamus said, they wound share reg settings.

If you change anything, the last copy to be closed down would be the one who's settings would be default next time you start up.

LUK; Let's say one of the programs had a few additional things you could do via checking boxes. Now these items show up in the registry with the appropiate 1 or 0. If the program that didn't have the additional check boxes seen this information in the registry would that cause a problem or would the additional regestry keys be ignored? Would it give that version the ability to do those things as well or would that information have to be coded into that version before it would take advantage of the additional keys?

I?m not quite sure what you mean here but if you wanted to have different settings available, I think it would be easier just to export the regkey.

e.g. Let?s say you would like to have VERIFY enabled, the sounds turned off and EXPORT GRAPH DATA turned on just some of the time. Other times you want verify disabled, sounds on and no graph data. Open the settings and enable verify, turn off the sounds and check export graph data and quit. Then open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ImgBurn and export the regkey somewhere (like the ImgBurn folder) and rename it to imgburn_verify_nosound_graph.reg (or whatever).

Open ImgBurn again and turn off verify, enable sounds and uncheck export graph data then quit. Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ImgBurn and export the regkey as something like imgburn_noverify_sounds_nograph.reg.

Now if you want different settings you can add the contents of these regkeys to the registry by double-clicking on them. You could even add them to your quicklaunch taskbar for easy access. It?s probably not the most elegant way to do things but it works.

Any additional reg keys would be ignored.

It would need that information to be coded into it before it could take advantage of the extra stuff.

Will it? So..... for the info to be imported into the registry the name of the regkey has to be one validated (a namecheck) by ImgBurn? The key will import but ImgBurn won?t see it? To work the exported key would have to remain as is? Perhaps in a seperate folder if you wanted multiple regkeys for different settings?

And there I was thinking I was a clever bugger. Fcukit. :P

Importing keys/values isn't a problem (obviously!), but if the program doesn't look for it, it's not magically going to add features to the program just by it being there!

Or at least that's what I understood Movie Junkie's question to be asking.

Would be a nice idea though...

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows

BootUpInXSeconds = 1

AllowToCrash = 0

:D

• 1 month later...
There is no problem with doing this, but it works best if all devices are on their own channels.

Reading from/sending to devices on the same channel will give much lower performanace.

So the best setup would be something like.

Hdd 1 - SATA

Hdd 2 - SATA

DVDRW 1 - IDE 1 - Master/Slave

DVDRW 2 - IDE 2 - Master/Slave.

The Sata Hdd's could of course be scsi.... basically just anything other than on the IDE ports with the dvd drives.

With that combo you'll get full speed from both programs (or at least you should do ;) )

Could you could just add an option to only fill buffer every n seconds or pause filling every n for n. This would probably allow 4+ intances at once, big grin.

The best random access I could get using one logical disk on the cheap was using raid off a sil680 card with the strip set to .5M and the drive formated with 2k allocation units. It was nice to find that out, however, it would be nicer to have imgburn pause, as then random access is not so heavy duty (and we can have one huge mother of a drive, ahaha).

Edited by FileAnt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.