Very Odd Occurrance While Burning DVD+R DL

Fortify

Yesterday I had just installed a drive (LG GSA-H10N) that I hadn't used before. I booted up imgburn and an image, set booktype, and started burning to a DVD+R DL.

After about a minute of stalling at the setting l0 data zone capacity stage, imgburn reported that it "failed to set l0 data zone capacity". So, I assumed a coaster, put the disc aside, grabbed another disc, updated the default JL10 firmware to JL12 on the drive, disc burned fine.

Today, I reached for a disc and happened to grab the one I had "coastered" yesterday. The disc was reported as empty, only the the disc's "status" was reported as incomplete. I started burning, got the failed to set l0 data zone capacity. For the hell of it, I pressed continue. The disc started writing! It wrote the full disc through at 4x and when I checked the layerbreak on the burned disc afterwards, it reported the correct layerbreak!. Checking the disc with a special program, all of the crcs of the partition were the same as the ISO.

This leads me to a few questions. Firstly, when imgburn says it is setting the l0 data zone capacity or writing a leadin, is it actually physically writing the disc?

Secondly, is it possible for DVDs to leave off at a spot and continue burning?

Finally, is it possible that this disk may be detected as a not 1:1 copy given this l0 data zone capacity blunder? What might have caused it?

Edited by Fortify

Post the log from the failed burn and one that subsequently worked, then we'll comment.

My IMGBurn isn't set to save logs automatically.

Even then, I don't think the log is very pertinent to my comments.

Almost all three of my questions are not burn specific. The first being whether l0 datazone capacity / leadins stages are actually writing the disc, the second as to whether or not DVDs can even do that (leave off at incomplete) and finally, what MIGHT have caused this and what MIGHT be the consequences for the discs integrity as a 1:1 copy.

*sigh*

This leads me to a few questions. Firstly, when imgburn says it is setting the l0 data zone capacity or writing a leadin, is it actually physically writing the disc?

Yes.

Secondly, is it possible for DVDs to leave off at a spot and continue burning?

What?

Pause and continue? Yes, that's where burnproof comes in.

Something else? Try explaining yourself a little better. You might know what you mean but I don't.

Finally, is it possible that this disk may be detected as a not 1:1 copy given this l0 data zone capacity blunder? What might have caused it?

The log and disc info would have told me what I needed to know in order to answer the question. You didn't provide them and I'm not going to guess just to make you happy.

I'm sorry if I came off as crude, but I see it often around here that people don't get any help without posting a log, and "post a log and then we'll comment" seemed like a bit of a snide remark to me at the time.

That being said, I did not intend to come across as rude either, it was early in the morning I wrote that and I just didn't have the craft of writing with me so I wrote something bare bones rather than sugar coated. I didn't think he would take offense to it, and it doesn't seem he did.

Nonetheless, the fact that you came back and made an attempt to answer from what I had to give means I misjudged you initially, and for that I'm sorry. My two general questions having been answered, I took a look in my imgburn settings for a log, under events it says Save the Log On Exit and it's checked,

and it's set to append the current log.

Here are the current total contents of my IMGBurn.txt log file

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Wednesday, 13 May 2009, 08:15:23

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 08:14:55 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 08:14:55 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 08:14:55 Total Physical Memory: 1,046,620 KB - Available: 584,236 KB

I 08:14:55 Initialising SPTI...

I 08:14:55 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 08:14:55 Found 1 DVD

If you burn via some other program, they often keep their own logs (or rather redirect the ImgBurn one somewhere else).

You should be using 2.4.4.0 now rather than 2.4.2.0. It actually contains a few tweaks to deal with discs where the LB has been set but the burn failed and the user then tries to burn the disc again.

It the physical LB on the burnt disc doesn't match what the image (dvd/mds) says it should be, yeah it's not a 1:1 and anything that needs it to be might not work correctly.

The disc information panel on the right can be used to find the current size of L0 and if you load the DVD/MDS file it'll tell you in the 'Source' box what the LB should be. Compare the two manually and see if they're the same.

If you burn via some other program, they often keep their own logs (or rather redirect the ImgBurn one somewhere else).

You should be using 2.4.4.0 now rather than 2.4.2.0. It actually contains a few tweaks to deal with discs where the LB has been set but the burn failed and the user then tries to burn the disc again.

It the physical LB on the burnt disc doesn't match what the image (dvd/mds) says it should be, yeah it's not a 1:1 and anything that needs it to be might not work correctly.

The disc information panel on the right can be used to find the current size of L0 and if you load the DVD/MDS file it'll tell you in the 'Source' box what the LB should be. Compare the two manually and see if they're the same.

I haven't burned with a program that wasn't imgburn for a long time.

As for the check, the L0 data zone capacity in the right box matches the LB defined next to sectors when the dvd file is loaded. The disc verifies in imgburn and in other software that checks the crcs of all sectors as well as the layerbreak.

Any risk something could be wrong, and what might cause this risk?

Edited by Fortify

What I meant was that 3rd party apps (like DVD Flick) which use ImgBurn for the burning part will tell ImgBurn to save the log in a certain place - thus it won't get added to the default one.

Otherwise, I don't understand why the entries from your semi-failed burns wouldn't be in there... unless of course you've uninstalled / or run something like ccleaner recently.

If the LB matches up and the data is the same, there is no risk.

What I meant was that 3rd party apps (like DVD Flick) which use ImgBurn for the burning part will tell ImgBurn to save the log in a certain place - thus it won't get added to the default one.

Otherwise, I don't understand why the entries from your semi-failed burns wouldn't be in there... unless of course you've uninstalled / or run something like ccleaner recently.

If the LB matches up and the data is the same, there is no risk.

LB does match up, and it verifies in both IMGBurn and in an iso checker specific to what I'm burning. Just out of curiosity, I know the l0 data capacity is just where the second layer begins, but is the leadin actually checked for accuracy to the iso when you verify the disc?

As for the second part, GREAT thinking. I ran ccleaner last night and I forgot to set it to leave app data alone. Will make sure it doesn't erase the log in the future.

Thank you for your help, and keep up the great work on imgburn.

I'm sorry if I came off as crude, but I see it often around here that people don't get any help without posting a log, and "post a log and then we'll comment" seemed like a bit of a snide remark to me at the time.

The whole point of the log file is that it shows a lot of info that narrows down a problem. On most occasions , without a log file, its just a guessing game that can bounce baclwards and forwards for days in a thread in here.( Hence why not many people will take up the challenge of trying to help if no log is provided)

With the aid of a log file, we can narrow down the problem a lot quicker , which in turn helps the person asking the original question.

Although it may seem irrelevant to most members, the log file is actually crucial to anyone who may be able to help/advise you with a problem.

The request for a log file was even added into the pink banner at the top of each forum , mainly due to people asking for help, but not giving us enough information to be able to assist them.

We pride ourselves on being friendly and helpfull with your ImgBurn problems, but without the necessary info ( log file) we end up wasting your's and our, time going in circles trying to narrow the problem down.

I should add that everyone who contributes here with help does it freely, so its not unreasonable for them to try and save time and eliminate the basics all in one go by asking for the log file

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.