DVD-R troubles

--RS

Hi Folks,

I use ImgBurn to burn single-layer DVDs from ISO files. Everything works well, and ImgBurn verifies the DVD with the file! Beforehand, I verify the ISO file with CDMage 1.0, or some such!

The problem is that in my DVD-player connected to the TV, after reading the startup of the DVD the the player goes into STOP mode! I then have to click menu or play to start things up. Why is the DVD stopped?

I burnt a second copy of the DVD using the first DVD as input, since I destroyed the ISO file! ImgBurn read the DVD and created an ISO-like file. And then it wrote that file to the DVD and again verified the DVD.

Only, this time the DVD starts up and then bring up the Menu directly! How come this only happens now? Why was the first DVD produced differently? Both were written at 4x. And I use Verbatim AZO DVDs! The DVD writer is a recent Pioneer 115, I believe.

Thanks in advance,

--R

There shouldn't be any difference at all.

Are you using DVD+R or DVD-R?

Have you tried other speeds? Maybe your burner will do a better job on a different one... or maybe the standalone will like them more.

What's building the VIDEO_TS files in the first place and what's creating the image (if not ImgBurn and you're not burning the files directly in Build mode) ?

Hi Folks,

I use ImgBurn to burn single-layer DVDs from ISO files. Everything works well, and ImgBurn verifies the DVD with the file! Beforehand, I verify the ISO file with CDMage 1.0, or some such!

The problem is that in my DVD-player connected to the TV, after reading the startup of the DVD the the player goes into STOP mode! I then have to click menu or play to start things up. Why is the DVD stopped?

I burnt a second copy of the DVD using the first DVD as input, since I destroyed the ISO file! ImgBurn read the DVD and created an ISO-like file. And then it wrote that file to the DVD and again verified the DVD.

Only, this time the DVD starts up and then bring up the Menu directly! How come this only happens now? Why was the first DVD produced differently? Both were written at 4x. And I use Verbatim AZO DVDs! The DVD writer is a recent Pioneer 115, I believe.

Thanks in advance,

--R

I am having a similar problem using clone dvd except after it stops in the dvd player having run the first title for 10 seconds it will not play any further although the files ar on the dvd as I can see them using dvdshrink or clone dvd. I have tried ImgBurn to create a dvd but when I get to the write stage either I only see one title (the ten second one) or I get an error message about the files not being correctly mastered for burning onto a dl disc.

Logfile. Logfile. Logfile. Logfile. Logfile. Logfile.

ImgBurn Help menu > Logs

I am having a similar problem using clone dvd except after it stops in the dvd player having run the first title for 10 seconds it will not play any further although the files ar on the dvd as I can see them using dvdshrink or clone dvd. I have tried ImgBurn to create a dvd but when I get to the write stage either I only see one title (the ten second one) or I get an error message about the files not being correctly mastered for burning onto a dl disc.

Again.

ImgBurn Help menu > Logs

Again.

ImgBurn Help menu > Logs

Please see attached log file and error message

ImgBurn.log1315.log

ImgBurn.pdf

You've made the almost cardinal sin of buying DVD -R dual layer disks. They are physically hopeless (due to the way a -R DL disc is made) for DVD video (but just fine for regular data).

Now, you really need to go get some Verbatim, +R, 2.4x, MKM-001-00, Made in Singapore.

What is happening after 10 seconds here is that it is probably trying to access a VTS on layer 1, which is, most likely, improperly laid out. It chokes and says sayonara to you.

Go get the +Rs and you'll be fine.

Regards

You've made the almost cardinal sin of buying DVD -R dual layer disks. They are physically hopeless (due to the way a -R DL disc is made) for DVD video (but just fine for regular data).

Now, you really need to go get some Verbatim, +R, 2.4x, MKM-001-00, Made in Singapore.

What is happening after 10 seconds here is that it is probably trying to access a VTS on layer 1, which is, most likely, improperly laid out. It chokes and says sayonara to you.

Go get the +Rs and you'll be fine.

Regards

Two different issues but possibly connected. The dvd in the panasonic player is SL but DVD-R from verbatim; the 10 second issue with ImgBurn is when I am about to write to a DL (the shamed DVD-R DL) and the message comes up telling me what I am about to write is only 10 seconds in length and that I don't need a DL - what about the other message I have had - see the pdf file (deals with the file not being correctly mastered dor a DL?

Thanks

Wiggy

Edited by WIGGY48

If you don't need a DL, don't use one. That's easy.

The one in the PDF is what I was talking about. Using a -R DL will almost certainly result in a project that isn't right. The reason is that on +R DLs, the layer break can be anywhere and so it's easier to position. On -Rs, you gotta write to the end of the disc and if (even with messing around with padding), you can't put the LB in the correct position, you're fucked.

So, go get some +R DLs.

Regards

There shouldn't be any difference at all.

Are you using DVD+R or DVD-R?

I use Verbatim AZO DVD-R. I thought that there _should_ be NO difference in a duplicate! :rolleyes:

Have you tried other speeds? Maybe your burner will do a better job on a different one... or maybe the standalone will like them more.

I do all at 4x, except for DVD-RW which limits me to 1x!

What's building the VIDEO_TS files in the first place and what's creating the image (if not ImgBurn and you're not burning the files directly in Build mode) ?

IThe first ISO file has the original VIDEO_TS files. This was verified by CDMage 1.02!

ImgBurn built the DVD!

Then it read the DVD, and built a duplicate, with that differnet startup but working startup.

Would ImgBurn successfully build a duplicate, it the original DVD was DVD-RW ?

Is it easy to find or save the log files?

Thanks!

Take your working and non working discs, make an image of each of them (using Read mode) and then do a proper compare on them (at byte level) using any number of tools that can do that sort of thing - hex workshop, 'comp' from the command line etc.

You can find the logs via the 'Help' menu inside ImgBurn.

Take your working and non working discs, make an image of each of them (using Read mode) and then do a proper compare on them (at byte level) using any number of tools that can do that sort of thing - hex workshop, 'comp' from the command line etc.

I am sure that this surprise you! I used read mode for both DVDs! I use comp and hex workshop to compare them! Result: no diffrerences between the .I00 files. Neither for the .I01 files. And the .MDS files had two differences:

Comparaison de xxx.MDS et xxx_bad.mds...

Erreur de comparaison … OFFSET 10E6

fichier1 = 49

fichier2 = 69

Erreur de comparaison … OFFSET 10EC

fichier1 = 49

fichier2 = 69

Now, I really do not understand why there is adifference?

Worse yet, now both DVDs seem to work! It's as if the DVD player associated with the TV has decided to behave differently!

Sorry to have caused this trouble!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.