Device not found

ika

Using Samsung slim external drive on Lenovo s10. I has nero installed but after i installed ImgBurn I uninstalled nero using their clean tool. Since then I am not able to see the drive either on my Computer and ImgBurn cant find it. Someone suggested that I have a virus. I ran AVG and Drweb and did not see anything. When I run GMER I do get results but I am not sure what it all means. When I do restart the computer several times I end up seeing the burner. It does burn the DVD but it is not playable in my DVD player but it is playable in the burner unit and other computers. Just not my DVD player. I had the same problem when I had nero installed so I decided to try IMGburn. Any tips or suggestions would greatly appreciated

Can you post the log from ImgBurn that you see when you start the program?

Here is what I see in in file order

===============================================

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.4.0

===============================================

Upper Device Filter: redbook

Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20

Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name: redbook

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys

File Version: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)

File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver

Product Name: Microsoft

That's the filter driver list.

The log - can be found/seen if you activate the log window. If you don't see it when you start the program - press Ctrl+Alt+L. It can also be found in: Main Menu -> Help -> ImgBurn Logs

The log might show some errors during the finding of the burners, that can give some clues to your problem.

When I run GMER I do get results but I am not sure what it all means.

If there is a log list - post it.

:)

That's the filter driver list.

The log - can be found/seen if you activate the log window. If you don't see it when you start the program - press Ctrl+Alt+L. It can also be found in: Main Menu -> Help -> ImgBurn Logs

The log might show some errors during the finding of the burners, that can give some clues to your problem.

When I run GMER I do get results but I am not sure what it all means.

If there is a log list - post it.

:)

thanks for clarification. here is the log itself

I 21:29:12 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 21:29:12 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 21:29:12 Total Physical Memory: 1,038,700 KB - Available: 196,896 KB

W 21:29:12 Drive C:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 21:29:12 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:29:12 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

W 21:29:12 No devices detected!

I 21:29:27 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

W 21:29:27 No devices detected!

There is power to that USB burner?

Tried to switch the USB connector to another USB slot/hole/connector in the computer?

there is no power. it is usb powered. it powers up when connected to computer but it does not get recognized by either computer or imgburn. I have to restart computer several times for it to happen. When I first got it last week it was recogized fine even without nero installed. this only started happening after I installed imgburn

There is power to that USB burner?

Tried to switch the USB connector to another USB slot/hole/connector in the computer?

there is no power. it is usb powered. it powers up when connected to computer but it does not get recognized by either computer or imgburn. I have to restart computer several times for it to happen. When I first got it last week it was recogized fine even without nero installed. this only started happening after I installed imgburn

here is also copy of file from GMER. if you see anything wrong please lemme know how to cxorrect it

GMER 1.0.15.14972 - http://www.gmer.net

Rootkit scan 2009-05-30 23:18:12

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

---- System - GMER 1.0.15 ----

SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwCreateKey [0xF73EB506]

SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwCreateProcess [0xF73DA240]

SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwCreateProcessEx [0xF73DA432]

SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwDeleteKey [0xF73EBCC8]

SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwDeleteValueKey [0xF73EBF88]

SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwOpenKey [0xF73EA3EC]

SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwRenameKey [0xF73EC3EC]

SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwSetValueKey [0xF73EB7B8]

SSDT PCTCore.sys (PC Tools KDS Core Driver/PC Tools) ZwTerminateProcess [0xF73D9EF0]

SSDT \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\iksysflt.sys (System Filter Device Driver/PCTools Research Pty Ltd.) ZwWriteVirtualMemory [0xAA200384]

-

Get it visible in Device Manager first. This issue doesn't look like it's caused by a virus/malware. On those machines, the drives ARE visible in Device Manager. So your issue is probably due to a bad USB connection.

Open Device Manager and look in the View menu. Tell it to show all devices and then plug the drive in. Do you get a new entry under the USB branch? (Even if it has a yellow triangle by it)

Get it visible in Device Manager first. This issue doesn't look like it's caused by a virus/malware. On those machines, the drives ARE visible in Device Manager. So your issue is probably due to a bad USB connection.

Open Device Manager and look in the View menu. Tell it to show all devices and then plug the drive in. Do you get a new entry under the USB branch? (Even if it has a yellow triangle by it)

Hi Lighting UK.

thats exactly what I see. when I plug it in it shows it but it has yellow triangle. when I try update it searches for it but then says it could not find better driver for it.

Hi Lighting UK.

thats exactly what I see. when I plug it in it shows it but it has yellow triangle. when I try update it searches for it but then says it could not find better driver for it.

This is what is listed under properties

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Do you just get a device show up under usb or do you get one under cdrom devices too?

Does it know the name of the device?

Do you have anything like Alcohol / DAEMON Tools installed? Old versions of those programs used to block/lock the cdrom.sys driver from being modified/installed and so you couldn't add drives to the system.

Does it list any other drivers as being loaded for your device? (i.e. on the Driver tab and the in 'Driver Properties')

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

The Microsoft solution. Sounds to easy. :wacko:

Code 38: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory

Updated: August 31, 2007

Device Manager displays the following message in the Device Properties dialog box, on the General tab, in the Device Status text box:

Diagnosis

The driver cannot load because a previous instance is still loaded.

Resolution

Restart the computer.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...090(WS.10).aspx

Code 38: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory

Device Manager displays the following message in the Device Properties dialog box, on the General tab, in the Device Status text box:

Diagnosis

Resolution

Restart the computer.

Thanks Cynthia. This resolves sometime. Often times I have to restart computer several times before seeing it. Not sure what the problem is. Had no problem with drive being recognized before installing imgburn

Diagnosis

Resolution

Restart the computer.

Thanks Cynthia. This resolves sometime. Often times I have to restart computer several times before seeing it. Not sure what the problem is. Had no problem with drive being recognized before installing imgburn

also if I unplug the dirive and plug it back in, it again does not get recognized. I just checked it has the latest firmware on it

You got any info for post #13?

I totally missed this one. It is listed under CDRom devices as TSSTcorp CDDVDW SE-S084B TS01 (USB). under properties it is driver version 5.1.2535.0. it appears to be the only driver. I do not think I have programs LightonUk mentions installed but not sure how to verify if I do. I also uninstalled and installed device and still have same problem. it will recognize it only if I restart. If i unplug and plug then I get yellow exp-lanation point next to it in the control panel systems device manager

Within System Properties, add a new environment variable (a system one) called:

DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES

and set the value to: 1

Then reboot and load device manager again.

Click view -> show hidden devices and a whole load more junk should appear.

The 'non present' ones will look kinda ghosted (like when you 'Cut' a file in Explorer).

Clean out all the rubbish from the cdrom / usb section.

Check the 'non-plug and play' one for an 'SPTD' entry.

You could even try removing the usb controller entry altogether and rebooting.

Something is obviously blocking the device installation and I can assure you it's nothing to do with ImgBurn. ImgBurn is just an exe so if you haven't specifically loaded it, it's not running in any way, shape or form.

As for checking in Alcohol or DAEMON Tools are installed... look in the 'All Programs' section on your start menu to see if you can see a group for them. You can also look in Add/Remove programs in Control Panel.

Within System Properties, add a new environment variable (a system one) called:

DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES

and set the value to: 1

Then reboot and load device manager again.

Click view -> show hidden devices and a whole load more junk should appear.

The 'non present' ones will look kinda ghosted (like when you 'Cut' a file in Explorer).

Clean out all the rubbish from the cdrom / usb section.

Check the 'non-plug and play' one for an 'SPTD' entry.

You could even try removing the usb controller entry altogether and rebooting.

Something is obviously blocking the device installation and I can assure you it's nothing to do with ImgBurn. ImgBurn is just an exe so if you haven't specifically loaded it, it's not running in any way, shape or form.

As for checking in Alcohol or DAEMON Tools are installed... look in the 'All Programs' section on your start menu to see if you can see a group for them. You can also look in Add/Remove programs in Control Panel.

Hi lighting UK. thanks for the advice. I am not sure where to add DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES. Is this withing device manager system devices or somewhere else. Thanks for the input

Hi Lighting UK

Thsnks for instructions. I deleted junk from Cd ROM so only the current drive shows. I also deleted nero from plug and play section. However I still need to reboot every time I unplug the drive. I took a screenshot of the rest of them in plug and play so if you think I hsould delete any of these please let me know. There is one serial with yellow triange there that I was tempted to delete but wanted to check first

screenshot.doc

what's 'aujasnkj' ?!

Serial is fine, it's probably just yellow because you don't have any serial ports.

Delete all the ones in 'other devices'.

Delete all the ghosted ones in 'universal serial bus controllers'.

You might also like to try switching the I/O interface to Patin-Couffin in the Settings (under the Tools menu). Just make sure that whatever VSO-Software application you've got installed there is up-to-date first.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.