Official Forum for DVDInfo Pro?

fordman

Does anyone happen to know where the official forum for DVDInfo Pro is these days?

I searched and I found indications that it is supposed to be here:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tt.asp?forumid=76

However, the lack of activity and posts seems to indicate this is no longer active. There are bug reports there and nobody is answering anything....

Does the author have a new official forum site on the web?

Thanks,

fordman

I don't think there is such a thing.

Bugs get posted on the 'mantis' thingy and are fixed from there.

I believe that site is mentioned in one of the sticky posts.

I don't know of any really active forums that talk about dvdinfopro.

Thanks. I did a lot of google searches and just found the cdrinfo site, and apparently nicw, the dvdinfo pro author used to have the dvdrrw.org domain, and lost it?

He's optimized code and introduced new problems, like volume label truncation, and missing info on external drives or mounted images.

version 4.52 was OK with the full volume labels at least, but I can no longer find a site to get that older beta version.... The current stable 4.36 doesn't work with ImgBurn.....

4.56 is ready any day now... not sure why it hasn't gone live actually.

God knows what happened with the external drives, that all seems odd to me.

4.52 didn't work with any UDF stuff. When you looked at it, you must have been lucky! It has been fixed now.

4.56 is ready any day now... not sure why it hasn't gone live actually.

God knows what happened with the external drives, that all seems odd to me.

4.52 didn't work with any UDF stuff. When you looked at it, you must have been lucky! It has been fixed now.

I actually have version 4.56 installed, and it still has the aformentioned problems. Perhaps he saw the bug reports on cdrinfo.com and is working on them. I was just shocked to see the lack of traffic or acknowledgment of messages there. I guess I'm spoiled by your hands-on and rapid approach, LUK! :thumbup:

It seems like it treats external drives just like a virtual image, for which it also doesn't display volume labels in the media info tab (I think other information like implementation id, etc. are also missing).

Then again, I wonder if it has something to do with a more limited command set support for USB to ATA and Firewire to ATA chipsets? I seem to recall that at one time DVDD ignored my setting to limit read speed for a drive mounted in an external USB enclosure, but if the same drive was attached directly to the motherboard IDE, it worked fine. The reason I wanted to limite the speed was because I found that my effective max read speed through USB was 10X with that particular enclosure. As I watched it rise to 10X, a read error would occur and DVDD would retry and continue. It seemed like it stuck with 10X the rest of the way. However, even though DVDD successfully retried, I found that it actually affected the output of the ISO file! The CRC32 for that ISO would not match that of the same ISO made when the drive was attached to the MB IDE (for which no read errors occurred). I could reliably reproduce ISOs on a source with the exact same CRC32. But despite the fact that he same drive was being used (transferred internal to USB and back) and the same program settings were used, the ISOs produced by both sources never matched.

This is no longer important since it related to DVDD, and because I liked the peace of mind knowing that he ISO was apparently "CLEAN" when attached to MB IDE, I gave up on using an external drive for reading or writing. Now that I'm using an NEC ND-4550A firewire drive (in addition to my internal PX-716A), that no longer seems to be a problem, though.

The point is that I wonder if it says something about how fully functional the USB and 1394 to ATA command sets are...

Any

You'll have an early version of 4.56, it's not the real one.

Confusing I know... but that 4.56 was just to fix a bug the second after 4.54 was released.

External enclosures do indeed have their fair share of problems. Trouble is, very few people will ever blame hardware for problems. It's quite well known now that cd/dvd drives need firmware updates from time to time but who'd ever think to update their enclosure's firmware?!

I don't think it's an actual command set problem.... the people that design them spend years on it. It think it comes down to the implementation of that command set, and hence the reason for enclosure firmware updates in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I am sometimes curious WHERE DVD Info Pro is supposed to be downloaded from. The home page's listed download site doesn't seem to be updated with the latest versions, as I found the latest one from a link on Afterdawn.com.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.