Optiarc BC-5500S buffer problem

Geryon

I've got a Sony VAIO NS-11ZR (Intel PM45 Express chipset) laptop with Optiarc BC-5500S burner, running 32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium and I can't burn any DVD. To be precise, DVDs are burned but they're unreadable. (The CDs are burned without any troubles)

While burning a DVD, Optiarc's buffer level jumps wildly from 5% to 97%, but no errors are reported by ImgBurn during the very burning process. Still, testing fails; and burned DVDs can't be read anywhere.

I already installed the newest SONY flash for the drive (1.77), but nothing changed. Changed DAO/SAO mode to Incremental, and nothing changed. Changed SPTI interface to ElbyCDIO and nothing changed either. Bought DVD media of different vendors, but in vain.

I've read many tips about enabling DMA mode (symptoms of an IDE drive running in PIO mode are quite close to those of mine), but seems they're unappliable to a SATA drive like mine. I've also found no traces of any SATA-via-IDE in my BIOS, because the BIOS menu itself is very simple and only contains boot and password options.

Log:

------------

I 16:54:37 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 16:54:37 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 16:54:37 Total Physical Memory: 2

Edited by Geryon

• 2 weeks later...

That log shows the disc couldn't be read during the Verify phase.

Windows should still be able to read the file system though and show you the 2 files you burnt to it, it would just eventually fail (or skip) during playback.

Try some Verbatim DVD+R media instead. For DVD-R, I'm more of a Taiyo Yuden (TYG02 / TYG03) dye fan than I am Verbatim (MCC 03RG20 / MCC 02RG20).

The graph data file would be useful for checking out the speeds. Open it in DVDInfoPro or the 'BurnPlot' tool you can find in the 'ImgBurn General' section of this forum.

Right you are, files are displayed but playback fails sooner or later.

As of your media recommendation - here in Russia we haven't heard anything of Taiyo Yuden.

I have opened the last graph datafile (TDK DVD-R SL media, MBI 01RG40) with BurnPlot and attached the screenshot to this post.

post-22684-1246189841_thumb.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.