How to burn 8GB source onto two DVD-RWs?

glnz

Just started with ImgBurn - what a superb program!!

Here's my question - I would like to copy an 8GB DVD onto two DVD-RWs that hold about 4.7GB each. One DVD-RW is too small to burn the entire 8GB source MDS file. Is it possible to set ImgBurn to burn it onto two DVD-RWs?

If not, if I buy a blank DVD+RW, will it be big enough?

Thanks!

If the image is from a DVD-Video you'll need to re-author the disc in order to split it in two parts. You can use DVD Shrink or VobBlanker for doing that. Alternatively, if you want to burn it as it is then you should get dual-layer media, provided that you have a dual-layer capable burner (in ImgBurn right-click on the burner's name and choose Capabilities).

If it isn't DVD-Video then it's very unlikely that you'll be able to split it.

Mr or Ms. Malves: Thanks for info and for more help with this great program! A few follow-up questions:

My DVD drive's "Capabilities" include reading from and writing to:

DVD-R DL

DVD-RW DL

DVD+R DL

Are these dual-layer?

If yes, when I wish to burn a copy of the source MDS file, must I first manually configure ImgBurn to use the DL capability?

Very roughly, how much should one of these special blank DVD's cost?

By the way, since I'm doing this for the first time, I note that my original read of the source created two files on my computer - an MDS file (very small) and an ISO file (> 7GB, matching the source DVD). But, following the instructions for ImgBurn, I'm selecting the MDS file for burning. Please confirm that's the right way to go.

Finally, is there a pdf with a full user's manual for novices like me?

Much obliged!

Yes, those are dual-layer formats. You don't need to change anything in ImgBurn for burning dual-layer media. As for the price, click the "get dual-layer media" link I've posted above and you'll have a list of online stores where you can find those Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL blanks ;)

Yes, you should select the MDS file as the image to burn. Now, if you want to learn everything about ImgBurn, the Guides section has all the information :)

Not sure if this would meet your needs but you could use PKZip to split your large file into two pieces. I have a stack of DL DVDs which will not correctly burn to the second layer (Yes, they're CMC. I didn't know when I bought them!). Since I don't want to just throw them in the garbage I use PKZip to split my source file into two 3.5GB pieces and then use ImgBurn to create two separate builds and burn to the DVDs. It's a kludge but it works for my purposes.

Of course, as soon as I'm through with this stack of DVDs I'll be buying Verbatim's.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.