need some help..

Jerseyguy

im working on a computer for a friend she has win xp home.

she has created 4 log ons for her and her kids..young kids..

the question is

she wants to have web access(broadband) to the computer but only from her account..she would like to disable the internet for the kids on their log on..is there a way?

i have looked around but i cant see how to do it...

any ideas?

after playing aroud a bit i found that in the lan setting under proxy server setting the ip address to 0.0.0.0.0.0 works too..i tried it on the accounts for IE and all i could get to was "page not found" and on the account that she had every thing worked fine..i just hope her kids arent savy with the computer to figure it out.. :rolleyes:

thanks shamus

Hmm.... that?ll work as long as they don?t figure out that they can just use a different browser or that the fake proxy only stops them from using port 80 which is HTTP. They could still send and receive emails, chat via MSN (or whatever) and anything else. (They could do it anyway with the solution I posted as well as it only works on port 80 with Internet Explorer). I?m surprised Windows doesn?t have the facililty to block users from accessing the net in any way with many more ?family groups? going online these days and not just geeks.

There IS commercial software available to do this type of thing such as Browse Control and it?ll make changes to your system policies as the solution outlined above but has a pretty interface and alot more options to block selective ports on a per-user basis.

In an ideal situation, your friend would have her own PC and her kids another. A cheap KVM switch would allow you to use the same keyboard, monitor and mouse for both if space is tight. A secondhand PC for the rugrats would be a cheap and simple solution.

A different option might be to go for one of those monitoring programs like CyberSitter or NetNanny (all of which I detest with a passion, particularly those backed by fundamentalists such as The Net Authority :chair: ). Anyway, my point being that instead of blocking the internet altogether, they would be able to use it in relative safety and learn from it. Coaching works better than banishment. Afterall, it?s the way forward....... apparently.

<Pro evolution mode off>

Yeah I am with Shamus on this one - altho it scares the hell out of me when are two eldest 12 & 10 surf on their own.

That said we have both spoken to them and tried to explain the dangers of certain sites, unexpected MSN contacts etc, hopefully they will be sensible....

I guess in a way its like when my parents used to let me play out all day in the summer hols - we used to go off exploring and always used to come home. As kids you just don't see the danger, as parents you have to hope that they don't run into trouble....

While on this subject, there are other options available to making the net a safer place for kiddies. One that comes to mind is an extended HOSTS file. There?s bucketloads of these things floating around the net for blocking sites. I?ll hunt a couple down if anyone?s interested.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.