Can't create iso image

mc_ringbearer

Regardless of source CD, I select Read. The Destination defaults to a BIN file extension. I select Browse, change the Save as Type to ISO. Process begins and ends, but at conclusion I end up with an IMG, CCD, and Cue files. I've tried with different CDs. All are regular under 650mb cds, no funky copy protection, etc, they are not games Cds or copy protected CDs to my knowledge. Imgburn says they are ISO9660. I am able to use Roxio Creater to create ISO, and on my Mac Toast Titanium is able to make ISO's. I was looking to use your program as a smaller, leaner substitute when I don't need anything fancy like Toast or Roxio. Here is my log:

I 21:47:39 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 21:47:39 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (6.0, Build 6002 : Service Pack 2)

I 21:47:39 Total Physical Memory: 3,667,216 KB - Available: 2,824,852 KB

I 21:47:39 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:47:39 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:47:40 Found 1 DVD

If ImgBurn uses BIN/IMG extension then the disc's content can't be stored in ISO format due to some limitation of such standard.

Roxio and Toast are probably converting the disc's data or they're creating a non-standard ISO image. That's not what I would call a true copy of a disc.

You can't put audio data in an ISO full stop, nor can it hold multiple sessions / tracks.

An ISO should contain a single tracks worth of Mode1/2048 sectors - period.

So if your disc doesn't have that exact layout, it has no business being 'read' into an ISO file.

The one exception to that is a disc with a single Mode2/Form1/2352 track. If you ditch all the other stuff it's possible to just extract it as Mode1/2048 data - but of course then it can only be burnt as Mode1 unless you make the other stuff up again.

The correct format for the disc in your log in BIN/CUE. The image is coming out as an IMG file because the program is set to create a CCD file (used in Virtual CloneDrive - which I assume you have installed) and they *only* read from IMG files.

Thank you for your support and for making a great program. I did some research before reading your reply and discovered what you have just explained, that multi-sessions are not handled correctly in ISO, which means that the ISO images i've been creating with Roxio and Toast are missing the audio tracks, even though the data is there. Without using your program, I would have never discovered or learned this. My next question was whether there is a binary difference between IMG and BIN, For long term archival storage, is one format more likely to always be supported and can be burned back to disk by future programs, Mac and PC. Toast (on the Mac) says it supports IMG and BIN. You've earned yourself a donation, thank you. For 90% of what I do, your program handles it, and doesn't require me to load up Toast or Roxio Creator for PC. I have even been able to run your program within a Virtual Windows machine running on a Mac under VMWare Fusion accessing the built in Mac CD drive and an external USB burner. Even Roxio Creator had issues in that type of setup.

Yes, I do have Virtual Clone Drive installed. If I uninstall will I get a BIN file instead of IMG? Is the CCD file only needed for Virtual Clone Drive, assume that file isn't used by other burning software.

You can't put audio data in an ISO full stop, nor can it hold multiple sessions / tracks.

An ISO should contain a single tracks worth of Mode1/2048 sectors - period.

So if your disc doesn't have that exact layout, it has no business being 'read' into an ISO file.

The one exception to that is a disc with a single Mode2/Form1/2352 track. If you ditch all the other stuff it's possible to just extract it as Mode1/2048 data - but of course then it can only be burnt as Mode1 unless you make the other stuff up again.

The correct format for the disc in your log in BIN/CUE. The image is coming out as an IMG file because the program is set to create a CCD file (used in Virtual CloneDrive - which I assume you have installed) and they *only* read from IMG files.

So far as my program is concerned, the IMG / BIN files it produces are identical. If the option to output a CCD is enabled, it simply changes the file extension of the file it creates from BIN (or whatever it's set to) to IMG.

You don't need to uninstall Virtual CloneDrive to make it use BIN again, you just have to uncheck the option on the Read tab within the Settings.

The CCD is used by Virtual CloneDrive and CloneCD. ImgBurn only makes the CCD file so VCD can mount the audio images that it creates - because VCD can't mount CUE files.

So long as you keep hold of the CUE file, you should be able to burn the image back just fine... you just won't be able to 'mount' the image in VCD.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.