Can't burn

Hans L

I am aware that this is somewhat (or a lot) OT. But it concerns ImgBurn in a, for me, strange way.

Suddenly, I could not burn with my NEC ND-4570A, neither with Nero nor ImgBurn. I could play on the drive, however. So, I switched burner drives between my and my wife's computers. Here is the result:

Her computer, my drive

Nero: Not installed

Imgburn: Worked!!!

My computer, her drive

Nero: Did not work

Imgburn: Worked, although I got the following error before I pressed "Continue":

Optimum Power Calibration Failed. Reason: Power On, Reset, or Bud Device Reset Occurred.

Interesting, and to me strange, is that ImgBurn burned on her computer with my drive, but not on my computer with my drive.

When I reinstalled my drive on my computer, inserted a music disk, and double-clicked on a song, Windows MediaPlayer started opening, but then, the screen under the title bar became white and nothing happened.

I do not expect anyone to solve my problems, but I would be interested in hearing some views about why ImbBurn worked on her computer with my drive but not on my computer with my drive.

I am planning to buy a SATA drive, probably Samsung, to see if I have any better luck. Oh, the only "new" software recently installed were *updates* of Nero and *updates* of Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobate.

Regards,

Hans L

Hi and welcome to the forum, Hans L! :)

Sounds as a driver issue on your computer. Any chance you can post a burn log from your computer?

Hej Cynthia!

I am attaching the ImgBurn log for my latest attempt to burn (just about half an hour ago).

Regards,

Hans Leander

ImgBurn.log

Hej! :)

I 17:26:53 Destination Device: [4:1:0] _NEC DVD_RW ND-4570A 1.02 (H:) (RAID)

Optical units normally doesn't like to be attached as RAID's. You might be able to change the setting to IDE from RAID in the BIOS or if you have another IDE connector you can connect the burner to that is using normal PATA (Non RAID).

There's newer firmware available for your burner (remove any disc and close the tray before updating then reboot after it's finished), but if you're going to update use your wife's computer ;)

Hej! :)

Optical units normally doesn't like to be attached as RAID's. You might be able to change the setting to IDE from RAID in the BIOS or if you have another IDE connector you can connect the burner to that is using normal PATA (Non RAID).

How the hell did that happen. well, it might explain the sudden refusal to burn. Well, explain, kind'a, because I do not know how it became RAID. Any suggestion (which might help me redo it).

And I knew there was an 1.03, but when I tried to update, it refused.

Regards,

Hans L

Here are the sad facts :-)

While I have looked on the net, I still have no idea how/where my drive was set to RAID, how to unset it or how to set it to something else (what? where?).

I found instructions on how to update to firmware 1.03 in the read me file that accompanied the firmware from Softpedia.

Connect drive to secondary IDE channel as Master

Disconnect all slave hardware from IDE secondary Master

Use standard UDMA-2 IDE cable

Update in Windows "Safe Mode"

Under Windows 2000 & XP login as administrator

Update without DMA mode, under Windows XP & 2000 in the device manager - "IDE ATA/ ATAPI controllers", you can switch from DMA to PIO mode

Disconnect all external USB/ FireWire devices.

Deactivate virusscanners, active desktop programs and packetwriting agents

Do not turn off power during the updating process.

All understandable to me, except "Connect drive to secondary IDE channel as Master". How do I connect the drive to the secondary channel? My motherboard has only one IDE connector; however, in Device Manager/IDE ATA/ATAPI cpntrollers, there are two primary IDE channels and two secondary. Help!

I have only my one DVD drive connected to the IDE cable, and my OS is XP Home SP3.

Regards,

Hans L

PS. The Device Manager is incredible, saying that my Floppy disk drive works properly. Only problem is that I have *no* floppy drive :-)

Just close all programs (including those in the taskbar), run the update and reboot the computer after it has finished updating. If you've set your controller to PIO mode in Device Manager then put it back on DMA if available.

If you tell us which motherboard/chipset you have (as Cynthia said above ;) ) we could try finding out why it's in RAID mode and how to switch it back to normal IDE mode.

Do you know the model of the motherboard?

You can use this free program to find out:

http://www.gtopala.com/

Hardware -> Motherboard -> Model; will show it.

Ooops, I did not see your post, Cynthia, before I sent mine.

My motheroboard is ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi-A. I'll reboot and go into Setup and get the chipset (if it is listed).

I use Belarcs -- is qtopala better?

Back soon,

Hans

Ooops, I did not see your post, Cynthia, before I sent mine.

My motheroboard is ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi-A. I'll reboot and go into Setup and get the chipset (if it is listed).

I use Belarcs -- is qtopala better?

Back soon,

Hans

Nah, did not see the name/model/designation of hte chipset, but I rebooted and entered

Bios Setup Utility -- Main

IDE Configuration

SATA Configuration [Enhanced]

Cinfigure SSATA as [iDE]

Hard drive write protect [Disabled]

IDE Detect Time Out (Sec) [35]

Regards,

Hans L

Just close all programs (including those in the taskbar), run the update and reboot the computer after it has finished updating. If you've set your controller to PIO mode in Device Manager then put it back on DMA if available.

If you tell us which motherboard/chipset you have (as Cynthia said above ;) ) we could try finding out why it's in RAID mode and how to switch it back to normal IDE mode.

Okay, mm, I will update after I hear back from you guys.

Regards,

Hans L

So by the looks of it, your drive is on the JMicron controller.

Make sure you're running the latest bios for the motherboard and then install the latest JMicron driver.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP&os=17&SLanguage=en-us

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/

So by the looks of it, your drive is on the JMicron controller.

Make sure you're running the latest bios for the motherboard and then install the latest JMicron driver.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP&os=17&SLanguage=en-us

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/

Hello Lightning:

Thank you. Thought I had responded and said that it would be a day or two before I could update.

Now, I have updated all things ASUS motherboard. When i comes to JMicron, it is amazing how many places has different versions as the latest. The latest I found were R1.17.47.14 and R1.17.47.14_Sata. I installed ..._Sata, but I have no idea if I should have installed non-Sata instead.

I will now move connections from my borrowed wife's optical drive (no, my wife is not borrowed :-) to my NEC and install firmware 1.03, and then report back here to see what I should do next.

Regards,

Hans L

Edited by Hans L

Okay, I will go to the JMicron site from now on (but I think I picked up .14 from there).

In any event, I flashed firmware 1.03 (latest) for my NEC. Restarted computer, and played an audio disk!!! Progress!!!!

Then, I used ImgBurn to try to burn. Success!!!!!!!

However, as you can see below, in the log, it is still RAID. And I have one or two more questions about that, but I need to reboot and enter SETUP in order to ask. I'll be bakk!

Regards,

Hans (not from Austria, but Sweden, originally :-)

PS. Log:

I 10:11:28 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 10:11:28 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 10:11:28 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,236 KB - Available: 1,152,964 KB

I 10:11:28 Initialising SPTI...

I 10:11:28 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 10:11:28 Found 1 DVD

Edited by Hans L

I don't think you'll get away from the 'raid' thing if you keep the drive on the jmicron controller, that's just how it makes the drives on it look and what it emulates. So long as the drivers can handle optical drives you should be ok - and the new ones should do as I keep seeing tweaks for cdrom related stuff.

I don't think you'll get away from the 'raid' thing if you keep the drive on the jmicron controller, that's just how it makes the drives on it look and what it emulates. So long as the drivers can handle optical drives you should be ok - and the new ones should do as I keep seeing tweaks for cdrom related stuff.

I would like to ask you, if I may, a few final questions.

How would I move the drive to another controller, and what would that controller be, and where would I find it?

------

And while this might only be slightly related, let me still ask:

I have this in Bios Setup Utility -- Main:

IDE Configuration

SATA Configuration [Enhanced]

Configure SATA as [iDE] (other options are "RAID" and "AHCI")

I am somewhat confused why one would configure SATA under "IDE Configuration". I have my internal and external hard drives on SATA -- would this setting to "[iDE]" affect those SATA connections?

Regards,

Hans L

You can't move that drive to another controller. Intel stopped offering IDE ports ages ago and so now 3rd party chipsets are used for that purpose. Your board just happens to use a JMicron chipset.

If you can only find one setting that lets you control the IDE/AHCI/RAID thing, it's probably for the intel sata controller - so yes, that'll be for your internal hdds. The external sata ports are probably jmicron ones? I guess they could be intel though if they're created by plugging a header onto the board and screwing a backplate into the case.

In Advanced -> OnBoard Devices Configuration, how's JMicron SATA Controller Mode configured as? AHCI or IDE should be OK :detective:

According to the manual, the internal IDE and SATA_RAID (the one next to the WiFi module and PCIe x16_1 slot) ports and the external SATA port are all connected to the JMicron chipset.

In Advanced -> OnBoard Devices Configuration, I have

JMicron SATA/PATA Controller [Enabled]

...JMicron Controller Mode [iDE]

No explanation in the manual what this setting really means.

I changed "[iDE]" to "[AHCI]". and all drives were reconfigured. Burning still possible on my NEC.

I cannot change Main -> IDE Configuration ->

Configure SATA as [iDE] (other options are "RAID" and "AHCI")

to "AHCI", because, during startup, shortly after WINDOWS is first shown, a blue screen of death flickers by and reboots the computer, and the whole process starts over again. So, it has to stay IDE.

I will have to go to ASUS and ask them for some details on this.

Regards,

Hans L

You may need to install the AHCI driver in windows before switching over the setting in the bios.

Aha, "the" driver :-) Boy, while I am computer-literate (I built this computer), I realize how darn little I know (and how much I have learned in this thread). One final question: where do I find "the driver"?

I will also take this opportunity to thank you all -- mm, lightning, and cynthia -- for your very kind and valuable help.

Regards,

Hans L

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.