BD-RE Format Error

Race Guy

I occasionally get this "Format Command Failed" error when I format (full erase) a "virgin" BD-RE:

I 13:56:24 Operation Started!

I 13:56:24 Device: [6:2:0] HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L YL05 (Q:) (ATA)

I 13:56:24 Media Type: BD-RE (Disc ID: RITEK-BW1-01) (Speeds: 2x)

I 13:56:24 Quick Erase: No

I 13:56:24 Format Properly: Yes

I 13:56:24 Format Size: Maximum

I 13:56:24 Format With Full Certification: Yes

I 13:56:24 Format Without Spare Areas: Yes

I 13:56:24 Erasing Disc...

W 15:18:17 Potential 'WaitImmediateIO' Deferred Error - (99%, 0/4) - Format Command Failed

E 15:18:19 Failed to Erase Disc! - Reason: Format Command Failed

I 15:18:19 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 01:21:54

If I then write to this disc, it'll burn & verify fine.

What's it all mean?

See ya!

I've had 4 of these discs give me this error. I do a "Build Image" directly to the drive, load the virgin disc & it tries to format it ("erasing disc" for an hour and a half). If the format is successful, it goes "zeroing sectors" for another hour or so & then it writes the image. I've had a LOT of "success" doing this, so I doubt it's a drive problem. On a format failure, it skips the zeroing op & goes directly to the image write. On all 4 of the "failures", I was able to write to them one time & they played fine.

On 2 of them I did a "rewrite" of a new image & was successful. On the other 2, I tried to rewrite & it just wont go. It stalled out in the "writing lead in" operation, throwing errors that say "failed to write sectors 1152-1183 reason: write error"....... etc......etc.

So then I try a "full erase" to attempt to reformat them. I pop in the first one & start the process. I see "erasing disc 0%" & walk away for an hour or so. I come back & see I'm still at "0%". The LED is pulsing on the drive, like it's writing, but apparently nothing's happening. So I try to "abort", but I get a "can't stop this operation" screen. So I have to reboot the computer. I try the second RE......, same deal,........, stuck on 0% for a LONG time........., reboot.

Is there any way to "resurrect" these 2 discs?

Yes......, yes........, I know they're Ritek's, but at 3 bux a piece for "RE's", I couldn't pass them up!! According to Ritek's site, my drive/firmware is "recommended hardware" for this "model" of RE.

Also, could you explain the "nuts & bolts" of the RE format process a little more? What the HECK is goin' on there?

Thanks!

Yes......, yes........, I know they're Ritek's, but at 3 bux a piece for "RE's", I couldn't pass them up!! According to Ritek's site, my drive/firmware is "recommended hardware" for this "model" of RE.

And you wonder why they don't work?! You should know by now that manufacturers say anything to get their stuff sold ;)

Anyway, it's your drive that's returning those errors, and unfortunately no software can get around them. First of all, you should be using the latest version of ImgBurn. Check if the BD-REs are really clean (BluRay is very finicky about dirt/smudges/etc) and you could also try a lens cleaning disc on your drive, preferably one that's "BluRay compatible/certified". You could also try a Full Erase (it includes formatting on compatible media) with another BluRay burner you may have access to, as there's a chance another drive might be able to do the job.

As for the Full Erase process, it works like this: ImgBurn sends a format media command, waits for the drive to do it (if the drive informs the progress then ImgBurn shows it in the status bar); when it finishes, ImgBurn then writes zeroes to all the sectors on the disc, effectively fully erasing it. After doing this the first time, you don't need to erase the disc anymore: just overwrite it. But if you use another burning program that doesn't care about the formatting (*cough* Ner0 :& ) then your disc may lose it's formatted state :unsure:

Just remember, in the "Land/World Of Obama" :sorcerer: , ALL expectations are SEVERELY diminished! So 3 bux for a Ritek RE compared to like $14 for a Verbatim is a SMOKIN' deal. Even if I experience a 25% failure rate (which I probably wont), effectively they'll only be $4 a piece.

If I recall, you could "resurrect" a stubborn DVDRW by letting it sit in the sun for a while. It was supposed to "re-melt" everything back into position.

I'm also going to contact Ritek "support" & see if they're willing to stand behind their product.

Hmmmmm......, which of those 2 "methods" do you think will get me the best results?

Thanks for the info mmalves!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.