Is layer break preserved when writing DVD to ISO?

dax702

Hi all,

I have a project in which I need to take a replicated DVD-9 disc, rip the contents of it to the hard drive, then use GEAR Pro Mastering to produce a DLT.

Some questions:

- If I use ImgBurn to write an ISO of the DVD to the hard drive, is the layer break preserved

- What data is contained in the MDS file? (I did a search and read that DVD Decrypter stores layer break info in its MDS file)

I was told that importing the project into GEAR would work fine as long as all references to the layer break are gone and they recommended that I use PGCEdit for this task. So I feel I should first determine if the layer break is preserved/untouched when writing an ISO to the hard drive from a DVD.

Thanks!

I just used PGCedit and IFOedit on both a replicated DVD itself, along with the files written to the hard drive by ImgBurn.

Just had to edit this post. It looks like the layer break is where it should be at cell 38 which is pretty much halfway through the DVD.

This means I should be able to import directly to GEAR without making any changes with PGCedit

Edited by dax702

You mean under the layer information near the bottom right? This seems to be correct as it says Layer 0 Sectors: 2,067,520

and when I look at IFOedit and PGCedit, the layer break is shown at cell 38 which starts at 2,063,399

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 4,135,040

Size: 8,468,561,920 bytes

Time: 918:55:65 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:

Session 1... (LBA: 0)

-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 4135039)

-> LeadOut (LBA: 4135040)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Book Type: DVD-ROM

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: 10.08Mbps

Number of Layers: 2

Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)

Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,264,127

Layer Information:

Layer 0 Sectors: 2,067,520 (50%)

Layer 1 Sectors: 2,067,520 (50%)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.