What is the best Burner?

Dorttocs

I have been using a Sony DRU-710A and I think it died on me today. The drive worked well while it lasted. I have read reviews that Sony drives are not all that great. Can anyone recommend a good affordable DL Burner? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Actually, Sony drives are LG drives. Sony doesn?t make them anymore. They outsourced their production of optical drives to LG a while back. Maybe 18 months ago, I suppose?

EDIT: As for a decent drive, I?m biased towards Pioneer drives. Never a bad burn with any of them (using quality media) and there?s no fooking around with bitsetting as the Pioneers don?t use it.

I have been using a Sony DRU-710A and I think it died on me today. The drive worked well while it lasted. I have read reviews that Sony drives are not all that great. Can anyone recommend a good affordable DL Burner? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Check out the drives and media section as Cornholio suggests as this is a valuable and most useful guide. For the drives they test you'll not find anything anywhere near as comprehesive anywhere else.

There are a few new models out though and if you like the look of the NEC drives then go for the ND-4570A which has only recently been released.

Early word on this drive is excellent and it seems that NEC have managed to improve their write strategies even further.

Nemesis

and the 4570 may turn out to be a decent scanner

Again, early indications are that this is one of the areas that NEC have improved.

Not totally critical I know but nonetheless desirable.

Here's a link to a pre-review assessment of this drive if anyone's interested.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/259/1

Nemesis

Edited by Nemesis

We lost a few hours worth of posts due to the site being moved - not my doing I'm afraid, I was just told it had happened.

I hope everyone got in on the site giving away free unregistered untraceable Platinum Visa cards over a 2 hour period, I got six myself. Posted the link here last night.

What is Scanning used for? Is that done after a burn, like a verify?

Yes it's done after the burn but it's much more useful than a verify.

The scan measures and quantifies correctable errors (as well as uncorrectable errors) across the entire disc.

The upshot of which is that you are able to assess the quality of the burn and not just whether the disc is readable or not.

It's the recommended method of assessing compatibility of particular media with your particular drive.

Check out the 'drives and media' section for examples of scans with different media and drives.

Nemesis

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.