Quality of burns and the detection of speed

BesmirG

Firstly , what do you think about the quality of the burns? The first picture is from my external USB drive, the second from my laptop's built-in in drive.

oadhj5.png

2cgbyas.png

Secondly, as you can see from the logs, my built-in drive detected the speed of the media I was burning (CD), while the external one did not. Does detecting the speed depend on the drive or something else?

I 16:42:20 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 16:42:20 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (6.1, Build 7100)

I 16:42:20 Total Physical Memory: 1,046,584 KB - Available: 602,720 KB

I 16:42:20 Initialising SPTI...

I 16:42:20 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 16:42:20 Found 1 CD-RW, 1 DVD

Edited by BesmirG

Does detecting the speed depend on the drive or something else?

That there are no listed write speeds, is that the media id is not listed in the burners firmware. In such cases, the burner tries with a generic write approach. Sometimes it works and sometimes you get a write error.

If you are concerned about disc quality - you should have the verify option enabled.

The sure way to know about the disc quality is to do a disc scan with a reader/burner that supports that function.

Thank you, Cynthia. I'm glad I learned something new: I didn't think firmwares had a list of IDs. Ah yes, I should have enabled the Verify option.

:)

Edited by BesmirG

Yes, the Asus drive is rather old now (2004?), but it's still alive and I don't use it that much.

BTW, the total time displayed in DVDInfoPro differs from the one in the log (2:36 to 2:38). Any reason?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.