Slow burn with brand new burner

Harry Baules

Hello,

I just replaced my Pioneer DVR-216D with a DVR-218L. Before when I would burn dual layer verbatims it woud show supported write speeds of 2.4, 4, 6, and 8. But now with my new burner only 2.4x is available. I didn't change anything else on my computer but the drive. What could be causing this? I"m using the same high quality Verbatims made in Singapore. I am attaching a log of of each burner. I always like burning at max speed because 2.4x just takes too long. But now it won't go any faster. Please help.

PIONEER 218L

I 16:50:20 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 16:50:20 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 16:50:20 Total Physical Memory: 3,008,560 KB - Available: 2,376,484 KB

I 16:50:20 Initialising SPTI...

I 16:50:20 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 16:50:20 Found 1 DVD

It's still 1.00 (first release) firmware and they probably decided to play safe by allowing just 2.4x for the MKM-001-00 dye (it's oficially rated 2.4x after all). Maybe next firmware versions add support for faster speeds.

If you don't think this isn't fair then you should complain to Pioneer, it's your right to do so :thumbup:

Hi and welcome to the forum, Harry Baules! :)

Those Verbatims with media code MKM-001-00 are the 2.4x ones.

Only guessing - but it might be that the old burner had the later firmware releases supported for higher speeds as they could deal with overspeeding that media and this new burner only supports 2.4x with the current 1.00 firmware, as the result might have been a joke with higher speeds and Pioneer therefore decided to drop the allowance of higher speeds.

Edit: Slow as usual

You might be able to trick it to burn higher if you edit the firmware with MediaCodeSpeedEdit. The drawback is that the warranty will be gone with the wind.

Wow. I never thought of that but it makes sense guys. Sure enough the older burner had updated firmware. And right now only 1.0 is avaialbe for this new burner. I should've thought about that before buying it. This is really slow. I'm considering editing the speed like you said Cynthia. Can you give me more details as to how to do it? I don't mind voiding the warranty. the burners don't cost all that much anyway.

Edited by Harry Baules

An easy option is to buy the 8x rated Verbatim +DL media instead.

Loaded the Pioneer 1.09 firmware from the Pioneer 115 and in MediaCodeSpeedEdit - the speed selections are grayed out. Perhaps not possible to edit it in that program. In such case - your only option is the above.

Not even sure that Pioneer 118/218 is supported in those tools.

Not even sure that Pioneer 118/218 is supported in those tools.

doesn't look like it. it's not listed. damn. I guess i'm stuck having to look for 8x discs. I can't get those locally and i'm in a major city. i'll have to look them up on ebay and be extra careful with teh seller that they are 8x.

You could post about your issue over at http://club.cdfreaks.com/ - in the Pioneer sub forum. I think they know more about your issue than we do here and also if they know a way around it.

Edit:

Dumb question: Why not have both burners installed - that way you can still burn them at the higher speed in the old burner.

:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.