Please advice a good DL-capable external (USB) burner

Andy Gone

Hey all,

My old ASUS SDRW-08..... slim external USB burner cannot succeed writing Verbatim DVD+R DL 4x/8x, and it is practically impossible to get the 2,4x Verbatim media here...

Would you advise a good DVD DL external burner that will work properly with DVD-/+R DL?

Just to chuck in my own 2c worth. I like Pioneer drives. I always have. A Pioneer drive means no f*cking around with booktypes as they are set automagically. I've probably had a dozen of them over the years and I swear by them. Just my opinion.

From what I can understand that burner was released around three years ago and I wouldn't pay to much for such an old burner. The issue might be that you will see no new firmware releases for such an old burner.

One of the latest Pioneer USB burners looks to me very slim

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/45/75/4...XD08/index.html

but slim models usually creates more problems than regular full high ones.

I would go for a USB cabinet + Pioneer 1xx IDE.

Pioneers book type +R DL automatic, but R+ media you need to edit the firmware before you can book type those discs. Very easy to do.

:)

One of the latest Pioneer USB burners looks to me very slim

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/45/75/4...XD08/index.html

seems to be difficult to find here...

but slim models usually creates more problems than regular full high ones.

I would go for a USB cabinet + Pioneer 1xx IDE.

Well, why 1xx then? There are SATA/USB cabinets on the market, so what do you think about DVR-216 then? I don't think I need blu-ray, so this model seems to be ok.

Or you think something like DVR-115 is better option?

Thank you in advance for help! :)

Edited by Andy Gone

They do not seem to be available, probably because blu-ray is still not widely used here; anyway I am not going to use blu-ray capabilities.

But what is available --

the 215, 216, 217 models (and a Welland ME340J SATA/USB external cabinet)

or

the 115 and 117 models (and a Mobile RACK Techsolo TMR-5261 IDE/USB external cabinet)

Sorry, not so much choice here...

I tend to buy the 216, because it is SATA (more modern interface).

Any objections?

Thank you a lot for help!

Edited by Andy Gone

Also another question - only "dual-format" versions are available, not "multiformat".

According to specifications, the "dual-format" ones have all what I need (just no DVD-RAM writing support?)

Or probably I should try the 217, because it is 2009 model?

I'm lost :(

Does the 216 drive work properly with 8x DL Verbatims? (MKM-003-00)

Edited by Andy Gone

Wanna use it with other PCs also. This desktop is in my office, so I don't want to mess up with USB keys or whatever just to bring to my office some GBs I need to burn down. Or, maybe, someday this drive will end up in the PC, who knows--

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.