How long should DVD Media Last?

Dorttocs

Dorttocs, As long as you have been using good media, and have stored the burn't product correctly, in a case away from heat and humidity and bright sunlight I see no reason why the media wouldn't last for more than 5 years. I've viewed media I've made 4-5 years ago on less than perfect quality discs and they still play great with no apparent degradation in quality from the time they were originally burn't.

Top of line media with proper storage = at least 5yrs storage time if not more, in my experiences anyways. :thumbup: With Verbatim media, I'd dare say minimum 5 years, probabley quite a few more. :D

Edited by kevdriver

CD theoretically was supposed to be 50 to 100 years. Now, 20 years into CD, we see the real value is about 20 years. DVD was listed at 100 to 200 years. I'd expect 30 to 50.

WOW! db, didn't realize cd and dvd media were meant to last that long............. :blink: Are you talking original media discs or backup media discs? Shit, I was worried after 5 or 6 years I'd have to start checking my backuped files on dvd to make sure they were still readable. :lol:

Thanks for the clue in db............ :thumbup:

Personally, I think the dvd's,good media of coarse, will be obsolete before it goes bad. The are always coming out with bigger, better, faster, cheaper ways of getting in your wallet!

Edited by bill7621

And the bloody stuff is everywhere! Discovered CMC listed on a DVD-RAM disc I couldn't read from! :rolleyes:

Bloody wonderful mate, Guess alot of manufacturers are going with costs over quality............. :/

Edited by kevdriver

Yea I know db, but you would think these companies would fiqure out that a lot of people would rather pay a bit more for a bit less of quality materials rather then pay less for more sub standard materials. If everyone just stuck to the latter then as companies say their bottom line drop they might smarten up............. :angry::/ or at the very least look into what is the problem with the goods that aren't selling well.

Edited by kevdriver

Like I said once before, I gave TDK the arse as they too swaped there dye to CMC, I couldn't believe that a large reputable company like TDK would do that, worse still, when I notified them of there fatal mistake, there atitude was one of we don't care, "take it or leave it".

So, I left it. Verbs are the go for me now, love that MCC dye.

The problem is that people, like us, who know about what's good and bad are in the minority. Most people who purchase the discs are simply looking for a low price. When they see a spindle of 100 discs for $10.00 with a rebate of $5.00 they don't stop to think that there is no way they are getting a decent product. The companies that make this crap are just pandering to the people that put price above anything else.

[soapbox Mode Off]

Edited by Movie Junkie

Yes, as has been noted, the manufacturers KNOW that they're using :horse: when they're using :horse: and actively chose it. Because they know that, like all of us, someone else in the future will be the new sucker born every minute. Even though most will learn not to use their products in the future, they also know that in the short term, they can pocket a heafty profit. When the information finally becomes public knowledge and the profits aren't outweighed by the cost of this business practice anymore, then, the smaller companies get out of it. As we have already seen done with some companies pulling out of any optical media or drive manufacturing all together, outsourcing it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.