A full erase has run 3 hours!

redoak

If your drive/firmware like the disc, it should take the same time as a normal burn (as that's basically what the drive will be doing).

So that's roughly 15mins for a 4x discs.

Thanks for the reply. It is now six hours! When I try to cancel I am told it can't be done during an erase.

I am using XP Pro OS, so I will try to shut down Image Burn using the Task Manager.

What might have "locked up" this function?

{redoak}

I doubt shutting down ImgBurn will do anything (and it won't even close properly when you try), it's not in control anyway.

You'll probably have to force a power down (power button for 5 seconds).

Lock ups are caused by bad drive/firmware/media/driver combos.

I doubt shutting down ImgBurn will do anything (and it won't even close properly when you try), it's not in control anyway.

You'll probably have to force a power down (power button for 5 seconds).

Lock ups are caused by bad drive/firmware/media/driver combos.

FYI: I was able to stop IB using the "Task Manager" and my system then proceeded to run normally.

Thanks for the tips as to why this may have occurred. However, the 'burner' hardware works fine with another burning program.

{redoak}

There's nothing to say they format in the same way ImgBurn does.

ImgBurn waits until your drive reports the entire format process has completed - both the foreground part and the background part.

If the drive just keeps saying it's still in progress, ImgBurn can only take its word for it and will sit there waiting patiently.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.