Unable to Install v2.5.0.0 on Vista SP2 x64

brain_death

I’ve always rated ImgBurn and have had no problems with it before. But though v2.5.0.0 installed great on Windows XP SP3 and the RTM build of Windows 7 x86, I could not get it to install properly on Vista SP2 x64.

The install seemed to go fine, but there were no icons for ImgBurn in the Vista start menu and my whole system slowed to a crawl, even after a reboot. It wasn’t possible to open the Windows Task Manager to see what was going on, to start ImgBurn or to uninstall the program without going into safe mode. Even installing under safe mode didn’t make any difference, neither did changing the options in the ImgBurn installer or running this as an administrator.

I’ve now gone back to 2.4.4.0 on that system and it works right out the box. Don’t know if it’s just me?

Can you actually run the installer?

Does it go through all the motions and look as if it installed properly?

If you start with an empty 'ImgBurn' folder in the Program Files one, do any files get put in it? If so, which ones exactly?

Does the MD5 of the file you downloaded match the one on the download page?

Obvioulsly the installer is nothing to do with me, it's just the latest version of NSIS.

Thank you for your reply...

> Can you actually run the installer?

Yes.

> Does it go through all the motions and look as if it installed properly?

Yes.

> If you start with an empty 'ImgBurn' folder in the Program Files one, do any files get put in it? If so, which ones exactly?

Obviously I’m unwilling to go through all this again, but from memory the ImgBurn folder is populated correctly with all the files you’d usually expect.

> Does the MD5 of the file you downloaded match the one on the download page?

Yes. MD5: F3791CFACDAC03B9E676E44AA2630243

> Obviously the installer is nothing to do with me, it's just the latest version of NSIS.

Looks a bit dated if you ask me. Just thought you needed to know!

Perhaps it's an issue with whatever AV/spyware/malware tools you're running? UPX is used to compress the exe file and it can do that in any one of about 80 different ways - so some of those tools will need tweaking so they don't get hung up on it.

I can't think of any other reason for this issue. If ImgBurn isn't actually running then there's nothing at all going on - ImgBurn doesn't install any drivers or anything, it's a standalone exe file.

Still, let's wait and see if anyone else running Vista SP2 x64 reports the issue.

:whistling: Yup...

After your last post I copied the entire ImgBurn 2.5.0.0 folder over from an x86 install, with the idea of using the start menu shortcuts from 2.4.4.0 on the x64 machine. The whole issue started again immediately, until I excluded the copied folder from the overzealous attentions of my antivirus program. This is an earlier version from those on my other machines, since their later version does not work well with Vista SP2 x64 and so immediately has put me on my guard.

Why are there no issues with the previous versions of ImgBurn do you think?

Thanks for all your help!

As I mentioned in my previous post, UPX tries about 80 different methods of compressing the exe and it then uses whatever produced the best ratio.

There's nothing to say the same method of compression will be used on different versions or even internal builds for that matter - i.e. where I compile it, change a line and compile it again.

The AV people normally have to make exceptions/fixes for every release of ImgBurn (a lot get caught out by it) and this one is no different. Give it time and their definitions will be updated to handle the latest variation of the compression properly.

Hi -- I'm new to ImgBurn, so I have do not have a version history to compare your latest with. I'm running Vista Business SP2 32-bit, and found myself uninstalling the product once it was installed. I don't recall why, but I was intent on right-clicking either ImgBurn or its shortcut, to view information displayed under Properties. Each time I clicked on Properties, the display "blinked"-black, returned and never allowed me to view Properties. I wasn't comfortable having it installed at that point.

I'm not about to disappear as quickly as I uninstalled your product, though... :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
Perhaps it's an issue with whatever AV/spyware/malware tools you're running? UPX is used to compress the exe file and it can do that in any one of about 80 different ways - so some of those tools will need tweaking so they don't get hung up on it.

I can't think of any other reason for this issue. If ImgBurn isn't actually running then there's nothing at all going on - ImgBurn doesn't install any drivers or anything, it's a standalone exe file.

Still, let's wait and see if anyone else running Vista SP2 x64 reports the issue.

I am running the above mentioned operating system and I had no trouble at all installing and running it. I've only used it for two things, one of which was DBAN and it woked on an old laptop as expected. My system came with McAfee installed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.