unreadable dvd on toshiba

Phil Viton

Can anyone suggest what is going wrong here? Basically, ImgBurn using

an HP DVD Writer produces DVD's which can't be read on a Toshiba DVD-ROM;

while the same ImgBurn on an NEC DVD writer produces DVDs which can. In both

cases, the DVDs can be read on a stand-alone dvd player.

Here are the details:

ImgBurn: 1.2.0.0

In all cases I'm writing an ISO file to a DVD+RW disk; the disks

are always the same brand.

1. On an HP DVD Writer 740b : the resulting dvd can be played on

the host computer (Presario SR 1750 NX), and on a stand-alone DVD player.

It is not recognized by the Toshiba DVD-ROM DS-R2412 reader. There's

a dialog suggesting that the disk may not be formatted. (The Toshiba

can write CDs but only read DVDs). This happens consistently, with

various ISO files.

2. On an NEC DVD+RW ND 1100A: the resulting DVD can be played on the

host computer (Dell), on the Presario, the Toshiba and on a stand-alone

DVD player.

Is there some magic setting that happens to be set on the NEC, but not on the HP?

Looking at the disks, one difference is in the BookType: on the NEC-produced

DVD (the one which CAN be read on the Toshiba), one sees:

Physical Format Information: BookType: DVD+RW

Physical Format Informatio (Last Recorded): BookType: DVD+RW

while on disks made by the HP (which can't be read on the Toshiba) we have

Physical Format Informatio (Last Recorded): BookType: DVD-ROM

This suggests that the HP is somehow getting it wrong, but I don't understand

what's going on. Can anyone suggest something? Is it possible to

change the BookType on the HP, and if so how? ImgBurn does have a

Change BookType tab, but the HP doesn't show up there, and to me

at least the whole dialog is very obscure.

the brand of disc doesn't mean anything its the dye manufacturer thats important best discs are Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim with MCC dye . Can you read anything with the Toshiba rom like a factory DVD ? You can unplug the power for the drive and also reseat the IDE ribbon and let windows find everything again.Some drives are just plain picky about the media they like

open IMGburn put a blank disc in the burner write mode and look at the Disc ID mine looks like this its a Verbatim +R 16X disc MCC is Mitsubishi Chemicals Corp dye the best or 1 of the 2 best

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG 2.1A (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 2,295,104

Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes

Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Disc ID: MCC-004-00

Book Type: DVD+R

Part Version: 1

Is there some magic setting that happens to be set on the NEC, but not on the HP?

Looking at the disks, one difference is in the BookType: on the NEC-produced DVD (the one which CAN be read on the Toshiba), one sees:

Physical Format Informatio (Last Recorded): BookType: DVD+RW

while on disks made by the HP (which can't be read on the Toshiba) we have

Physical Format Informatio (Last Recorded): BookType: DVD-ROM

This suggests that the HP is somehow getting it wrong, but I don't understand what's going on. Can anyone suggest something? Is it possible to change the BookType on the HP, and if so how? ImgBurn does have a

Change BookType tab, but the HP doesn't show up there, and to me at least the whole dialog is very obscure.

It seems for some reason that the Toshiba doesn't like the RW disc BookType set to DVD-ROM. I'm not sure why the HP burner is setting the BookType to that but maybe someone here can tell you how to make a change to the drive so it allows the disc to remain a DVD+RW. Edited by Movie Junkie

a log file would help us here :thumbup:

Thanks to all who replied. As requested, I attach a log file. I'd also like to be clear that except for this one situation the Toshiba drive seems to be working perfectly: it can read any other type of dvd, including non-rewriteable DVDs (I've tried only DVD+) created with the hp writer. The problem seems to occur only with DVD+RW.

============ log file

I 11:23:32 ImgBurn Version 1.2.0.0 started!

I 11:23:32 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 11:23:32 Initialising SPTI...

I 11:23:32 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 11:23:47 Found 1 DVD?RW!

I 11:25:40 Operation Started!

I 11:25:40 Device: [2:0:0] HP DVD Writer 740b HI24 (E:) (ATA)

I 11:25:40 Media Type: DVD+RW (Disc ID: CMC MAG-W01-00) (Speeds: 2.4x)

I 11:25:40 Quick Erase: No

I 11:25:40 Erasing Disc...

I 11:50:48 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:25:07

I 11:50:55 Operation Started!

I 11:50:55 Source File: C:\ProgramFiles\dvd\Images\dvda\DVD_SHRINK.ISO

I 11:50:55 Source File Sectors: 2,037,445 (MODE1/2048)

I 11:50:55 Source File Size: 4,172,687,360 bytes

I 11:50:55 Source File Implementation Identifier: DVD Shrink

I 11:50:55 Destination Device: [2:0:0] HP DVD Writer 740b HI24 (E:) (ATA)

I 11:50:55 Destination Media Type: DVD+RW (Disc ID: CMC MAG-W01-00) (Speeds: 2.4x)

I 11:50:55 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104

I 11:50:55 Write Mode: DVD

I 11:50:55 Write Type: DAO

I 11:50:55 Write Speed: MAX

I 11:50:55 Link Size: Auto

I 11:50:55 Test Mode: No

I 11:50:55 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 11:50:55 Filling Buffer...

I 11:50:55 Writing LeadIn...

I 11:50:57 Writing Image...

I 12:11:43 Synchronising Cache...

I 12:11:46 Closing Session...

I 12:12:38 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:21:43

I 12:12:38 Average Write Rate: 3,273 KB/s (2.4x) - Maximum Write Rate: 3,391 KB/s (2.4x)

==== end log file

(Disc ID: CMC MAG-W01-00)

Here is part of your problem, the discs your using are nothing short of crap. :/

Change your media, and see if that helps.

Readability on the above media is a challenge even for the best drives.

Here is part of your problem, the discs your using are nothing short of crap. :/

But we know that readability is unlikely to be the problem, don't we, since the toshiba can read a dvd+RW produced on another computer, using the same brand of media (that was the point of the NEC experiment)? And analagously, we know that writeability is unlikley to be the problem either, since dvd+RW's produced on the hp can consistently be played on the same computer, and also on stand-alone dvd players. All of which suggests to me that media quality is not in play here.

But we know that readability is unlikely to be the problem, don't we, since the toshiba can read a dvd+RW produced on another computer, using the same brand of media (that was the point of the NEC experiment)? And analagously, we know that writeability is unlikley to be the problem either, since dvd+RW's produced on the hp can consistently be played on the same computer, and also on stand-alone dvd players. All of which suggests to me that media quality is not in play here.

The laser strength of the HP burner might not be optmised for the media you are using. That could be causing the problem. Media quality always has to be considered. As a further test why don't you purchase a Verbatim DVD+RW and run the same tests? Even if the problem turns out not to be media related you have a decent RW disc to use and if your testing show that the media is the source of the problem you've solved it.

Have you burned any DVD+R media on the HP? If so does it play OK on the Toshiba?

in trying to find out about HP firmware updates , ive found this HERE

there site is a bit confusing, as they want to know what O/S you use, and they dont list windows media edition , which your log reports your using.

your firmware version is I 11:25:40 Device: [2:0:0] HP DVD Writer 740b HI24 (E:) (ATA)

and the version for Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro is hpdvd740b_HJ24.exe

it "may" be a case of HJ is a newer version than the HI that your using currently , maybe a call to HP support will confirm this. and a newer firmware version "could" sort the problem out .

i will also confirm that cmc based media is very poor , always has been ;)

in addition , toshiba players used to be susceptible to disc compatabilty issues, especially the older ones that only did +R format .

what model of toshiba is it , and have you googled it for the specs on what it will play ?

Depending on the command set used by the HP drive, you could test your theory of bitsetting being a potential problem by burning with the NEC and then just bitsetting to DVDROM with the HP.

You need to find out the real make of the HP drive (it must be an OEM something or other). Then use the appropriate tab in the bitsetting dialog.

Thanks to all! I'll try to get a-hold of a Verbatim disk and see what happens. Meantime, I can report that whatever the problem is, it's not specifically an ImgBurn problem: the same thing happens with the Sonic software which came with the computer, and also with Nero7.

Thanks especially for the reference to the HP update site: I'd in fact done a driver-update attempt using the built-in support GUI, but it reported nothing. As to Media Edition, I'm told that this is in effect just a media-manipulation shell which runs on top of XP, so I'm pretty sure that the XP OS applies here. I'll report back on what happens.

Meantime, thanks again to all for their thoughtful replies - much appreciated.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.