Trouble with burning DVD9

Andy Gone

I used to ask my friend burning DL DVDs with his NEC burner (don't know the model), and it works well with my old JVC HR-XV2ER standalone player (which is by itself very freaky thing that does not like even smallest problems with media). Also it is readable in my old notebook's MATSHITA UJDA765aDVD/CDRW 1.02 (ATA)

Ok, my friend was very generous, but now I have bought a PIONEER DVR-217F to burn them myself, and the result does not play in the standalone (I get "dusk defect") and is not readable with the notebook (I get "device not ready"). Can't figure out what is going on...

Media is the same (Verbatim) in all cases, and no burning errors.

Now I take an example of a disk burned by my friend and try to copy it.

This disk shows the following in the "Device" tab of Imgburn:

MATSHITA UJDA765aDVD/CDRW 1.02 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 4

It burned and verified fine, which means the disc was correctly burned. Have you tried a lens cleaning disc on your Matshita drive and on you DVD player?

Next time you might want to burn at 4x or 6x and maybe you get a higher quality burn.

I 17:07:27 Region Code: 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6; 7; 8

Long shot.

The disc your friend burned - was it set to a specific region? Perhaps your tricky readers don't like region free discs.

If you can - get a copy of a burn log from your friend.

I 17:07:27 Region Code: 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6; 7; 8

Long shot.

The disc your friend burned - was it set to a specific region? Perhaps your tricky readers don't like region free discs.

If you can - get a copy of a burn log from your friend.

Unfortunately I can't. Anyway, my standalone player reads single-layer DVDs burned the same way.

It burned and verified fine, which means the disc was correctly burned. Have you tried a lens cleaning disc on your Matshita drive and on you DVD player?

Next time you might want to burn at 4x or 6x and maybe you get a higher quality burn.

I've tried to burn 2,4x, 4x, 8x and 10x.

Edit: One copy burned at 8x was (by chance?) readable by the standalone. This proves that it reads region-free disks.

Most probably I have to clean both Matsushita combo and the standalone player, but I really wonder why it reads the same content burned by NEC but not by mine Pioneer that is supposed to be a good burner :(

Edited by Andy Gone

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.