Ritek DL +R Media

grampaw

I've read enough stuff in this forum to convince me that Ritek DL +R media are potential coasters. I've burned maybe 3 DVDs out of my spindle of 20, all I suppose classified as "successful", however with funky stuff going on at the layer break (stutter, stopping, pixellation).

I switched to Verbatim DL +R media a while ago, and they seem to work perfectly. So now I have this spindle of blank Riteks I don't know what to do with.

So, it just occurred to me, why not burn them as DVD-5's, i.e. only use layer 0. Anybody have any experience at this? Should I do anything special using ImgBurn? Hate to just dump this spindle...

I've read enough stuff in this forum to convince me that Ritek DL +R media are potential coasters. I've burned maybe 3 DVDs out of my spindle of 20, all I suppose classified as "successful", however with funky stuff going on at the layer break (stutter, stopping, pixellation).

I switched to Verbatim DL +R media a while ago, and they seem to work perfectly. So now I have this spindle of blank Riteks I don't know what to do with.

So, it just occurred to me, why not burn them as DVD-5's, i.e. only use layer 0. Anybody have any experience at this? Should I do anything special using ImgBurn? Hate to just dump this spindle...

Considering that the Ritek DL discs are much more expensive then DVD5 discs why not just take or send the discs back to where you bought them and use the refund to purchase some DVD5's. If that's not an option get in touch with the local office for Ritek/Ridata and see if they will refund your money.

About a year and a half ago I had purchased a few spindles of Maxell DVD-R discs. I had problems with the first 5 or 6 I burned. The company allowed me to return all of the spindles, including the open one, for a full refund.

Edited by Movie Junkie

I think MJ has a point - you should try and get your money back !

That said, if you can't I would try and burn them as a single layer disc, I would take the ISO image that fits a DVD5 and just use ImgBurn to burn it ! I haven't done it myself but I can't see why it wouldn't work, its only like using half of a DVD-R isn't it ?

I'm not sure he wouldn't have a problem. From what I have read (if I remember it correctly) layer 1 is burned before layer 0 and after the image is finished burning the remainder of layer 0 is finalized. If the single layer image is burned to layer 1 then the entire layer 0 must still be finalized. That would take double the amount of time it would have taken to burn a DVD5 and he still might have problems at the layer switch.

I bought these Riteks a while ago, on sale, and don't want to do the hassle of trying to return them. Gee, now I know why they were on sale...

I'll try burning a DVD-5 on one of them tonight. Movie Junkie probably has a valid point about the order of layer burning - so I'll put ImgBurn to the test let you know how it goes.

I bought these Riteks a while ago, on sale, and don't want to do the hassle of trying to return them. Gee, now I know why they were on sale...

I'll try burning a DVD-5 on one of them tonight. Movie Junkie probably has a valid point about the order of layer burning - so I'll put ImgBurn to the test let you know how it goes.

And ImgBurn works just fine.

I used Shrink to strip the menu and trailer from an un-encrypted title (not all DVDs have CSS). Using Shrink meant there was no MDS file. ImgBurn first verified I really wanted to burn this ISO on a DL since it would fit on a SL, then gave me some strange message about the ISO not conforming to some sort of standard (I should have copied it - it's not in the log), then assigned a layer break point, and finally burned the DVD. Result was a DVD that plays fine on the stand-alone player in my entertainment system.

I did think that ImgBurn might want to pad or fill the second layer but couldn't see a problem with that. As it appears the player never needs to go to the second layer in grampaw's burn anyway :thumbup:
I don't know if there would be a problem. I just mentioned it as a possible problem. One thing for sure, as I mentioned before, is that by needing to fill the second layer the burn time would just about double.

I do, however bow to your knowledge in these matters since you would know more than I would because you are testing ImgBurn on a regular basis.

I picked some up for testing a while back, and yes they're shite. But while they don't verify, my stand-alone players read them fine. If they're bot and paid for, burn em as DL's and see how your player likes em. Just don't use them for important archives, you may as well use them up.

Here's a better idea - use them for backing up huge amounts of data from your hard drive. You can do this with any recording program (RecordNow, Nero, etc.) and burn in file mode as a data DVD! Computer drives don't seem to have a problem with layer switching when handling data files, at least for me. That's what I did with some Ritek Ridata discs...

Edited by fordman

Here's a better idea - use them for backup up huge amounts of data from your hard drive. You can do this with any recording program (RecordNow, Nero, etc.) and burn in file mode as a data DVD! Computer drives don't seem to have a problem with layer switching when handling data files, at least for me. That's what I did with some Ritek Ridata discs...
My opinion is that he shouldn't do that with any important data. If it's something important enough to archive you should do it on media you can trust.

Here's a better idea - use them for backup up huge amounts of data from your hard drive. You can do this with any recording program (RecordNow, Nero, etc.) and burn in file mode as a data DVD! Computer drives don't seem to have a problem with layer switching when handling data files, at least for me. That's what I did with some Ritek Ridata discs...

Thanks Fordman - I do have a data backup application in mind I could use the Ritek's for. I use NTI's DVDcreator as my recording program. I'll give it a try with data backed up elsewhere...

Actually, I never said I couldn't play movie DVD's using the Ritek DL media. One of my stand alone players, the $27 USD WalMart special CyberHome hooked up to small TV in the guest room, plays anything perfectly including Ritek DL movies. It's the other two players, hooked up to entertainment systems, that stumble a bit at the boundary change - usually requiring a remote FF action to continue. The Ritek DLs also seem to have occasional pixellations I seem to remember.

My opinion is that he shouldn't do that with any important data. If it's something important enough to archive you should do it on media you can trust.

More than a year ago when I got into dual layer burning, Verbatims were so expensive that I bought some Ritek RiData DVD+R DL discs. I encontered the same problems (Layer break hangs, pixelation) as grampaw when playing the DVD-VIDEO burns in my standalone DVD players, but there was never a problem when playing back on my PC drives. So, I started using them just for data, mainly large data files (MPG or AVI video captures) that wouldn't otherwise fit on a single layer disc.

Over a year later, they still verify fine and compare to the .sfv CRC files that I put on the discs (and copied to my HD).

My conclusion: Ritek DL discs have a problem with layer break transition on standalone DVD players, but are otherwise fine for PC drives....

Here's a better idea - use them for backup up huge amounts of data from your hard drive. Computer drives don't seem to have a problem with layer switching when handling data files, at least for me. That's what I did with some Ritek Ridata discs...

good sugegstion :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.