ImgBurn Hangs on Writing Sectors

ggbal

I have been using ImgBurn for years. It worked fine until a week ago. It now almost always hangs while in writing sectors. It could happen any place when 1%, 5%, or 25% is completed. It hangs on both 2.4.4 and 2.5.0. Please see log below. Looking for help.

Here is the log from latest instance:

I 22:25:42 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!

I 22:25:42 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 22:25:42 Total Physical Memory: 3,142,876 KB - Available: 1,883,860 KB

I 22:25:43 Initialising SPTI...

I 22:25:43 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 22:25:43 Found 1 DVD

Use the latest ImgBurn. Look for updated drivers for the SATA controller where the burner is connected.

By the way...

I 22:26:32 Destination Device: [0:1:0] TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q SB00 (E:) (ATAPI)

There's newer firmware available for your burner (remove any disc and close the tray before updating then reboot after it's finished), but you should solve the communication problem before updating the firmware.

Thanks for replying.

I have already used 2.5.0.0. In fact, I initially found the problem when I used 2.5.0.0 a couple of weeks ago. Then I revert to 2.4.4.0 to see whether the problem is there as well. So latest version doesn't solve this problem.

On SATA controller driver, I am using Vista SP1 with all critical updates. I don't remember that I specifically installed a SATA driver, so it must be the one that Vista has. How do I get the updated drivers for the SATA controller?

Thanks,

GG

Updated following to the latest:

1. SATA controller/chipset driver

2. ImgBurn to 2.5.0

3. firmware to latest

4. Vista to SP2

Then I tried. But I still got the same hanging as described in my original post. I wanted to make sure it is not something wrong with my burn. So I installed CDBurnerXP in the same machine and used it to burn the same DVD. It worked just fine. So it seems that ImgBurn has some thing to do with it to make the program hanging during writing sectors.

Disc is not the problem. I changed multiple discs and didn't solve the problem.

Firmware is SB03.

Questions is why CBurnerXP can do it in the same machine on the same disc?

If thats what you believe then why not just use that then ? That situation has never happened any of my computers (I have a few). There is no way of knowing if a Write once disc would have worked on X software after X software failed in the same way you cannot say the one that failed in x software would not have also failed in x software had you a time machine to test that.

I have been using ImgBurn for years. It worked fine until a week ago. .
The software is not on a use-by date or countdown to stop working. Which means it's not ImgBurn causing your problems, looking at it from a logical point of view.

Can you post a log from when it failed when using say MCC or TYG02 or TYG03 or something different to CMC, INFOSMART, INFODISC

Also use a bit more detective work in trying to remember what may have changed since it stopped working, maybe your bios reset, did you follow the advice given by Cynthia who suggested to go into bios and change they way your sata ports handle devices, EG in my bios I use IDE emulation for sata devices and they all work as they should in windows . Having your sata ports AHCI can cause optical devices to not work well and using some of the options tied into the SATA options on your motherboards bios setup might actually get your writer working or tbh bin it and buy something else see if that fixes it and save the hassle if that one does it then reinstall your computer or take it to a PC shop and get them to fix it .

If thats what you believe then why not just use that then ? That situation has never happened any of my computers (I have a few). There is no way of knowing if a Write once disc would have worked on X software after X software failed in the same way you cannot say the one that failed in x software would not have also failed in x software had you a time machine to test that.

I used RW disc. So it is not write once. What I tried to do is use exact same computer, same burner, same bios setting, same os/patch, same driver, same disc, and same files to burn using different burner software. I am not saying ImgBurn is worse than others. In fact, it is the best I tried so far. I just wanted to point out that in the exact situation (granted you can not do that in the exact time, but who can?), two different software yielded different result. One succeeded and one failed.

Now from engineering perspective, it could be one of the windows update conflicts with ImgBurn, or something wrong with my hardware or software that makes ImgBurn stop working. That's fine. But it seems to me, somehow, CDBurnerXP can work or can ignore whatever conflicts the software has.

BTW, I have to use CDBurnerXP now (to answer your first question). Not because it is better. It just because ImgBurn stops work and CDBurnerXP works. How innocent it is!

The software is not on a use-by date or countdown to stop working. Which means it's not ImgBurn causing your problems, looking at it from a logical point of view.

Again, I didn't try to say ImgBurn sucks. I would say it is a very good software. It is just somehow not working in my environment when others can. And I have CS MS as well. So at least I am not a total idiot. :-)

I just don't have media with other manufacture now. If I do, I certainly want to test. But again, if that works, it only indicates ImgBurn has some problem dealing with my current media in my current environment. Still didn't solve the problem.

In terms of BIOS setting, I didn't do it just because I have other stuff on that SATA controller. Not sure changing setting will impact those device. Besides, I have workaround, i.e. using CDBurnerXP. The opportunity cost for me do all other try out is too high at this moment. I still want to use ImgBurn though. But I guess I have to try it for every new release to see whether that problem will go away.

Edited by ggbal

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.