NEC 3550 VS BenQ 1650

Grain

Anybody got some first hand knowledge of either? I'm going to pull my Liteon ROM from service & replace it with a burner to make better use of the great que feature. Another possible option is the LG GSA-4167B, or the Plextor 760 when it comes out. My thoughts right now are to grab both the NEC & BenQ, pulling my NEC 3520 out also to make room, but I'd appreciate some input.

I've started sticking to 8X with all my TYG02 burns, no matter which drive, so that's fine as far as the 3550 is concerned. The 1640 is a great option, but getting hard to find here in local shops.

Edited by Grain

Well I am a convert to BenQ with my DW1655 - I will be looking to update with another BenQ when the time comes - that said you have the same drive don't you Grain ?

Therefore the NEC should be a good bet - I think db has one, previously I have only had NEC's and never had a problem with any of them.

You should be looking towards to newer nec 3570 4570, 4571 burners really.

The pioneer 111 also - I'm just doing some burns + scans on the pioneer at the moment.

cdrinfo have a comprehensive review of the Plextor 760 up now. Still not decided if it's really that wonderful yet! (chances are I'll still get one though ;) )

I saw the review on the 760, and it is a little undecided whether it's all that great. They did use the first firmware however, and there is another out already. Good point on the newer NEC's, I wasn't aware they were that close to release.

I have the 1655 LFC, and like it a lot, which is why I was considering the 1650. Probably grab it now, and wait for a newer NEC, Pioneer or the 760.

meritline(usa)

crossflash?

BenQ DW1650 16X DVD 186-196-001 1 36.99 Color = Black

Burner (OEM), 8X Dual

Layer DVD ReWriter, with

Free XXXX DVD Burning

Software, Black/Cool Grey

Bezel

Subtotal 36.99

Tax 0.00

Total 36.99

Edited by chewy

Hi folks,

Corn, I have a BenQ 1640 also with BSOB firmware. I also have installed QSuite 2.1 and I use it on Default settings. I have been religiously using Taiyo Yuden TYG02 (8X) media for my bunrs.

My experience is if I burn at 4X I get for sure a good burn and a "Playable" dvd. Sometimes when I get gutsy and I burn at 8X to save TIME (about 8 minutes vs 15 minutes) I tend to see some "Skipping" or "Pausing" on very very few of my dvd burns. And no, my back-ups are perfect and there is no problem with the ISO image ... since I spot check them with playing back on DVD Shrink to verify if my pasuing or skippage was caused from my Original back-up.

So, does anyone have any comments or suggestions to my delimma IF I want to burn a supposedly "topnotch" quality media at the it's 8X rated speed?

Thanks!

So, does anyone have any comments or suggestions to my delimma IF I want to burn a supposedly "topnotch" quality media at the it's 8X rated speed?

My recommendation is to turn Solid Burn ON for known medias if your dealing with DVD-R and to switch it OFF for DVD+R (which is the default).

These are my experiences with TYG02 and YUDEN000_T02 (both 8X) and the BenQ 1640.

Cu Rippraff

I thought I'd share my experience with the "BenQ 1640" and YUDEN000-T02-00 media. I just replaced my Philips 8631 (same drive as BenQ 1620 with different faceplate) with a Philips 8701 (BenQ 1640). I cross-flashed the Philips 8701 and turned it into the BenQ 1640. I've backed up two different DVDs so far since doing so.

When I try to play back the first DVD on my stand-alone players, the time meter takes about 15-20 seconds before it reaches the 0:01 second mark. From there, it takes about another minute before the movie starts playing at normal speed. Its as if the disc hangs for a couple of minutes at two different places before it plays at normal speed. However, I've burned the same image three times and each time it has burned "successfully," yet all three discs behave the same on playback. So, I cannot see what could be going wrong. At first I thought the problem might be the image itself, so I deleted the original image and created another one, re-burned it, and the results were the same. Here's the log.

I 19:51:02 ImgBurn Version 1.2.0.0 started!

I 19:51:02 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 19:51:02 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:51:02 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:51:02 Found 7 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD?RW!

I 19:51:13 Operation Started!

I 19:51:13 Source File: C:\CAPOTE.ISO

I 19:51:13 Source File Sectors: 2,246,936 (MODE1/2048)

I 19:51:13 Source File Size: 4,601,724,928 bytes

I 19:51:13 Source File Implementation Identifier: DVD Shrink

I 19:51:13 Destination Device: [1:1:0] BENQ DVD DD DW1640 BSOB (E:) (ATA)

I 19:51:13 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: YUDEN000-T02-00) (Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 8x)

I 19:51:13 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104

I 19:51:13 Write Mode: DVD

I 19:51:13 Write Type: DAO

I 19:51:13 Write Speed: 8x

I 19:51:13 Link Size: Auto

I 19:51:13 Test Mode: No

I 19:51:13 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 19:51:14 Filling Buffer...

I 19:51:14 Writing LeadIn...

I 19:51:29 Writing Image...

I 20:00:26 Synchronising Cache...

I 20:00:27 Closing Track...

I 20:00:31 Finalising Disc...

I 20:00:50 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:09:32

I 20:00:50 Average Write Rate: 8,384 KB/s (6.1x) - Maximum Write Rate: 11,172 KB/s (8.1x)

The other DVD I backed up plays perfectly fine. All the discs are YUDEN000-T02-00 media, so I don't think its the media (which is why I found your post somewhat intruiguing Rippraff).

Also, gonwk, for the record, I, too, updated the firmware to BSOB, installed Qsuite 2.1, and I use it on Default settings. I mention that for comparative purposes.

meritline(usa)

crossflash?

BenQ DW1650 16X DVD 186-196-001 1 36.99 Color = Black

Burner (OEM), 8X Dual

Layer DVD ReWriter, with

Free XXXX DVD Burning

Software, Black/Cool Grey

Bezel

Subtotal 36.99

Tax 0.00

Total 36.99

When ordering from the States I get hit with prohibitive duties, plus they don't ship for free to Canada. I can get it from a local shop for $49CAD, which is about $42US, and no worries about customs etc. Pioneers & LG's are about $5 less, these are all for OEM jobs.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your answers Rippraff, Flawless & Chewy.

Rippraff, I will try your suggestion and turn on my SB even for "Known Media" and I will try to back-up one one of my dvd's at 8X! THANKS!

Just out of curiosity ... Flawless, have you ever burned the same media at 4X to see if you get the same thing.

Chewey, on Capote ... you mean the special protection it gets transferred even to your backed-up dvd?

Gonwk!

"Chewey, on Capote ... you mean the special protection it gets transferred even to your backed-up dvd?"

just empty title cells?

dead giveaway, that and SONY!

but we don't discuss this kind of stuff here

Edited by chewy

Just out of curiosity ... Flawless, have you ever burned the same media at 4X to see if you get the same thing.

It has only occured when I back up this particular movie. I haven't tried it at 4X, but I have tried burning the image with other software and the same thing happens.

Ended up ordering a BenQ 1650 & a Pioneer 111D. Should get them next week.

I read elsewhere that BenQ isn't going to change the allowed speed on Verb +R DL's to allow 8X burning with the 1650/5. They want you to buy 8X rated discs to burn at that speed. The rub is that the last mini 10 spindle of Verb +R DL's I bot are rated at 8X (the yellow add on that used to say 6X), same media ID MKM 001. Other people are modding the media code speed rating in the firmware, anyone tried this?

Edited by Grain

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.