BAD SCANS PART 2!!

the olde

Tried again using different media, same ISO

Is there a problem with the new firmware?

Previous burns have had alot better result :/

another scan before firmware upgrade, same batch of discs

and another before firmware upgrade.

I wonder if I have had a couple of rogue discs

post-1595-1143391597_thumb.png

post-1595-1143392366_thumb.png

post-1595-1143392661_thumb.png

Edited by the olde

lol leave the 'scale' options set to auto.

Never in my life have I seen a drive produce a scan that's a rectangular block of any one given colour.... well, until now anyway!

It's not recommended to use NEC drives for scanning.

BenQ, LiteOn and Plextor drives are about the only good ones.

Never in my life have I seen a drive produce a scan that's a rectangular block of any one given colour.... well, until now anyway!

just about to try something else, using the same discs but will use my other dvd drive to scan

will post results soon

Hi LUK

Tried to rescan using my other drive which is a LG, but just a DVD ROM drive to I need a writer to scan?

Also burnt the same ISO using the same discs on IMGBURN & CLONEDVD, the one burnt using IMGBURN came out at 10% better than using CLONEDVD.

Would this correct or does scanning the disc only provide the quality of disc not the burnt info?

Only certain drives have the ability to scan - some dvdroms can do it, but I think they're mainly LiteOn ones.

Writers tend to do a better job anyway I think.

Basically, if you want to perform scans that people will accepts as being 'correct', you need a BenQ, LiteOn or Plextor burner. The others just aren't really ready for prime time usage.

Scanning shows the quality of the burnt disc, not the disc as if it were blank. In theory, there should be no difference in the scans when burnt with different programs, the drive should be in complete control of the actual burn quality. What you're probably seeing here is:

1. Your scanning drive reportings somewhat random results.

2. Differences between the media - even though they're the same media type and from the same batch - they're still all different.

Never in my life have I seen a drive produce a scan that's a rectangular block of any one given colour...well, until now anyway!

I'm sorry "the olde," but I found that to be truly hilarious. At least your "quality rating" percentage is up from your other post.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1161

Forgive me, everyone, If I seem to have a "warped" sense of humor.

Edited by Flawless115

Laugh, I nearly cried.

Spent out on new kit 64BIT CPU, XFX6800 GS card, decent drive, or as I read to believe & I get this type of result!!

:angry:

Don't panic the olde

You haven't wasted your money...its just Nec drives aren't very good at scanning where as the benq,Liteon and plextor drives do very well in this area as Lightning as already pointed out

You would probably be wise to invest in some better media too like Verbatim etc

Scan done with a benq.......

post-107-1143529057_thumb.png

Laugh, I nearly cried.

Spent out on new kit 64BIT CPU, XFX6800 GS card, decent drive, or as I read to believe & I get this type of result!!

Don't panic the olde

You haven't wasted your money...its just Nec drives aren't very good at scanning where as the benq,Liteon and plextor drives do very well in this area as Lightning as already pointed out

You would probably be wise to invest in some better media too like Verbatim etc

Scan done with a benq.......

SO do you think I need to ditch the NEC and change with a Benq? as it appears two burners in the same computer for me would be overkill :/

There's no such thing as overkill!

Add a nice new BenQ to your system and then you can make better use of the Queue burning facilities ;)

It's also nice to have a drive to compare against when burning different media. One will normally always burn better than the other, you just need to find the best of the two for each media type you decide to buy / try.

There's no such thing as overkill!

Add a nice new BenQ to your system and then you can make better use of the Queue burning facilities ;)

It's also nice to have a drive to compare against when burning different media. One will normally always burn better than the other, you just need to find the best of the two for each media type you decide to buy / try.

Cheers, I will order a Benq today, which model would you suggest?

Thanks

The 1655 I guess as it's the top of the range ;)

Thanks for that.

Tried SVP & Ebuyer but no listing for BenQ, any suggestions? <_<

Komplett has both the 1650 and 1655 in stock

The only difference between the 2 being that the 1655 has lightscribe functions

The 1655 I guess as it's the top of the range ;)

Thanks for that.

Tried SVP & Ebuyer but no listing for BenQ, any suggestions? <_<

Komplett has both the 1650 and 1655 in stock

The only difference between the 2 being that the 1655 has lightscribe functions

thanks, ordered a BenQ & some Taiyo Yuden TYG02 from SVP

If thats doesnt sort it, its all going in the bin!!!! :w00t:

Laugh, I nearly cried.

the olde, I hope you didn't take offense to my comment. I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk, which is why I started the post with "I'm sorry." I know all too well what it feels like to have problems with drives. I wish you luck when your new drive and media come in. I'm sure you'll let us know how everything turns out.

Laugh, I nearly cried.

the olde, I hope you didn't take offense to my comment. I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk, which is why I started the post with "I'm sorry." I know all too well what it feels like to have problems with drives. I wish you luck when your new drive and media come in. I'm sure you'll let us know how everything turns out.

Thats ok, just frustrating buying decent kit/getting crap results.

Following LUK re discs & drive, so yes looking forward to new scan results ;)

I'm guessing the BenQ wasn't from SVP too..... I can't see them listed on the site!

komblett for the drive, pity as would of ordered from SVP.

Perhaps someone needs to request they stock BenQ

Cheers again

;)

Can I just check something with you, when I receive the Benq drive is it best to rip & burn using this drive?

I used to find it was quicker to use the LG DVD rom to rip, then the burner to , well burn.

Your thoughts?

Mant thanks :shifty:

Well, I have never owned a DVD-Rom so I can't really compare them - I have always used my DVD?RW's to rip and burn and have had no issues.

The BenQ DW1655 that I have is a pretty fast ripper, its not riplocked and I tend to use that more than the NEC4550 that I also have.

As per my previous posts, ordered a new Benq drive & some TYG02.

Disc have turned up today, but not the drive.

aware the NEC for scanning is not very good, but just look at the result!!

Will do exactly the same test when the Benq arrives :lol:

post-1595-1143654017_thumb.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.