Creating a Snow Leopard DVD ISO Image

miroesq

I want to make a backup copy of my Snow Leopard install DVD on my Windows XP machine with MacDrive 7, which allows me to read/write HFS+ file system in Windows.

I am a bit concerned because the ISO image which I created is 7.23 GB and the actual Snow Leopard DVD is 6.19 GB when looking at the drive's properties. The explanation may be in that the DVD contains both Mac and Windows files. When I use MacDrive 7 to view the Mac files on the DVD or Image, they total 6.11 GB. When I use MacDrive to view the Windows files on the DVD or Image, they total 984 MB. If you combine these two, they total about 7.09 GB which could explain the 7.23 GB total size for the ISO. However, the drive property where the DVD is always shows 6.19 GB whether I am viewing the Mac files or Windows files.

A greater point of concern is that I did not see HFS+ being flagged as a file system on the Snow Leopard DVD in ImgBurn's log file.

Below is the log from the build/verify process:

I 02:34:58 ImgBurn Version 2.5.0.0 started!

I 02:34:58 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 02:34:58 Total Physical Memory: 1,046,632 KB - Available: 466,644 KB

I 02:34:58 Initialising SPTI...

I 02:34:58 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 02:34:59 Found 1 DVD-ROM, 1 DVD

post-28826-1252575741_thumb.jpg

Read mode doesn't really care about the file system on the disc - and as you've noticed, it doesn't look for or understand that HFS+ one.

The ISO is a complete disc image and will contain everything that was on the original disc. The disc is read at sector level remember, not file level.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.