benq oem 1650 stateside

chewy

:o You bought the 1650 as well as the 1655 Grain ??? You must be loaded mate....... :lol:

Not at all, got the 1650 and a Pioneer 111D by mail for less than I paid for the 1655 :o . About 23 Pounds Sterling a piece. Had to remove a NEC 3520 & a Liteon 167T ROM to make room though, kept the 1655 and a Plex 716, no more room at the Inn :/ . Getting some lovely scans with the Pioneer & TYG02's :thumbup: .

201953.png

:o You bought the 1650 as well as the 1655 Grain ??? You must be loaded mate....... :lol:

Not at all, got the 1650 and a Pioneer 111D by mail for less than I paid for the 1655 :o . About 23 Pounds Sterling a piece. Had to remove a NEC 3520 & a Liteon 167T ROM to make room though, kept the 1655 and a Plex 716, no more room at the Inn :/ . Getting some lovely scans with the Pioneer & TYG02's :thumbup: .

My 716A decided it didn't want to be a burner anymore, it wanted to be a ROM. So, after only 15 months, it was "retired."

I bought a Pioneer 110D at BestBuy. Only later did I discover I'd gotten screwed by paying twice what they were going for on the Net at various sites (hell I paid twice what your 111D is going for; but looking at the relative specs there doesn't seem to be much difference). Getting into my VAIO's box is a royal pain in the ass (not to mention unpluggin 40189 cables!) so I didn't take it back. Besides, it would have cost me a 15% restock fee. I hate restock fees. So I ate the difference. Not happily.

I also ordered, as some may know, the new Plextor 760A. The pricing on those are pretty uniform and even though its faster, its actually less than the 716A.

I've got a replacement 760A on the way. If its got a problem too, I'll return it for the refund and buy an NEC 3550A most likely. I don't know anything about Benq. Heard some unflattering stuff about their blank media, but not much about their drives.

Caught some marital flack, but what the hell. It's not like we're living off credit cards anymore. I protest, "We've got the cash!" Somehow, that don't cut much ice with her.

On the other hand, I've no doubt I'll die rich because of her...frugality.

Edited by Pain_Man

The BenQ DW1655 I have is by far my favourite ever drive, it rips fast and burns well and it produces scans that I can rely on......

That's high praise, considering and the price point seems to be good. I'll definitely consider it if my next Plex doesn't work out.

The Plextor 716 was the best drive I ever had ('cept for it crapping out, but hey, shit happens).

Fast and the graphs looked great.

But if the 760's just incompatible with my system (which seems highly unlikely given how well the 716 interacted) then the HD 3550A and the BenQ DW1655 are definitely on the list.

Now that I think about it, maybe I should have returned the 760 for a refund!

For what I paid for it, I could buy both the BenQ DW1655 ] and the firewire external HD 3550A!!!

Damn. Should have done my research. That way I could have hooked up the external 3550A to the laptop.

Guess I can always call them tomorrow and see if its shipped...

...or is having three burner's self-indulgent?

Edited by Pain_Man

Nah its not self indulgent, altho depending on Mrs Pain_Man it might be suicidal !! :suicide:

:lol:

Yeah, we had the Credit Card Lecture last night.

I'm 35 years old and she can still make me feel like I'm five and explaning how the living room lamp got to be into a million pieces. Unfortunately, I can no longer blame my little brother.

But she wouldn't really bitch about this. Be less money, actually than the Plextor. She'd like that.

Sounds more like retail versions then eh ? :unsure:

ifcrule, i was reading this thread and seen retail ver, can some one tell me the difference, are they the same or different [cheaper parts ] or what,

life/mill?

on the other side of the pond, oem/bulk came with G firmware.

We got B firmware on our oem's from newegg. The only difference

was firmware and software AFAIK, B firmware scans, G does not!

Q suite software works with B firmware, maybe benq will give up this schitzy foolishness?

tell her it was a new drive or hookers and for a second it was real close :lol: she'll probably get you one for Christmas ,a drive that is =))

Polo,

I think it may depend on how mad she is. She may get him the hooker as a "parting gift" right before she throws his ass out (along with all his drives!).

life/mill?

on the other side of the pond, oem/bulk came with G firmware.

We got B firmware on our oem's from newegg. The only difference

was firmware and software AFAIK, B firmware scans, G does not!

Q suite software works with B firmware, maybe benq will give up this schitzy foolishness?

chewy,

But can't you crossflash to B firmware? If so, does it really matter if you get the retail version or not?

PM;

My Plex 716a crapped out after 11 months, they RMA'd it with a Feb 2006 model that seems to work...I just installed a new BenQ 1655 and am trying it out. Sorta like the LightScribe option, but the more intense the image is, the more time it takes to burn it...36 mins with a scanned .jpeg. :/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.